Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:39:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Propster - start a tip jar for someone else or any project you like  (Read 1461 times)
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

Hello,

I have redesigned and reworked the site Online-TipJar, and it is now called Propster.  Check it out here:

https://propster.hypervolume.com/

Supports Bitcoin and USD in two separate channels. You fill up the tip jars, and I deliver the money from the tip jars to the projects using their regular means. It is a great way to tell new people about bitcoin.  When I deliver the funds, I put a comment -- collected through Bitcoin.  Eventually, they will sign up on the site and will receive bitcoin directly. We can get all the big projects to start accepting bitcoin this way.

For a list of recent changes to the site see the News page:

https://propster.hypervolume.com/content/news.html

It is going to be called Propster.bit soon.

Boris

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 07:05:25 PM

Looks good but I don't think "collected by Bitcoin" is going to have much affect.

If someone approaches me on the street, hands me a $20 and says "Collected by Bitcoin," I'm going to say thanks, put the $20 in my pocket and think that was weird as I enjoy a twenty dollar lunch somewhere and return to normal thoughts.

I'd leave the funds in Bitcoin with instructions on how to easily claim them. I think that would be much more effective.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 07:20:27 PM

I agree. If i donate in bitcoin I dont want them able to claim in USD. im not a fan of changing bitcoin to money. For me its generally a one way transaction.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 07:22:11 PM

Looks good but I don't think "collected by Bitcoin" is going to have much affect.

If someone approaches me on the street, hands me a $20 and says "Collected by Bitcoin," I'm going to say thanks, put the $20 in my pocket and think that was weird as I enjoy a twenty dollar lunch somewhere and return to normal thoughts.

I'd leave the funds in Bitcoin with instructions on how to easily claim them. I think that would be much more effective.
The first time, yeah. After a few times you'll start wondering who is this Bitcoin fellow who keeps collecting money for you.

To continue the analogy, if that man on the street told you that he's got some bitcoins for you and that it's really easy to claim them, you'd say "ah, ok, you see that man over there? He'll be happy to hear all about this..."

Returning to the subject matter, we can argue about which way is better for proselytizing Bitcoin, but there's no question that conversion to USD is better for actually donating to the charity. And, if this service helps utilizing the power of Bitcoin to donate to charities more efficiently, then in the end this is better for Bitcoin than playing hard-to-get with charities.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 07:30:25 PM

The first time, yeah. After a few times you'll start wondering who is this Bitcoin fellow who keeps collecting money for you.

To continue the analogy, if that man on the street told you that he's got some bitcoins for you and that it's really easy to collect them, you'd say "ah, ok, you see that mean over there? He'll be happy to hear all about this..."

Well, the street analogy is actually generous as people do tend to pay more attention to other people.

I'd pay even less attention to a message at the end of an email. The point is I'd notice the money most. So use that to our advantage. Say here is free money BUT only if you unlock it...
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 09:42:39 PM

How about this:

-- anonymous bitcoin donations made to the tip jars BTC drop address can not be auto-converted to USD
-- bitcoin sent through a Propster account can have a configuration setting (allow auto-convert to USD). So only that portion of the donations will be auto-converted.

Would that work to satisfy both policies ?

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 09:52:14 PM

How about this:

-- anonymous bitcoin donations made to the tip jars BTC drop address can not be auto-converted to USD
-- bitcoin sent through a Propster account can have a configuration setting (allow auto-convert to USD). So only that portion of the donations will be auto-converted.

Would that work to satisfy both policies ?

I think that makes things to complicated. I'm just saying if someone is getting free money they shouldn't mind jumping through a hoop or two to get it. If you don't put up the hoop, though, they will just take the money and go back to business as usual.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 12:21:03 AM

Love it! used it..

Cheesy

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
hxtop

Activity: 1071

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 04:01:57 AM

I think that makes things to complicated. I'm just saying if someone is getting free money they shouldn't mind jumping through a hoop or two to get it. If you don't put up the hoop, though, they will just take the money and go back to business as usual.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:13:25 PM

Got the first tip jar, pretty big one too. Was that you teflone ?

https://propster.hypervolume.com/tipjar/0C6XXAS

I already contacted the intended recipient on her Facebook, gonna try to get her to accept bitcoin.

I agree with you, hxtop -- by default people gonna have to jump through that hoop and learn to accept bitcoin. I like this myself, however it is my personal opinion. By providing an option in the settings, I allow other tippers to decide how their money should be handled.

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:22:02 PM

Looks good. Can you add the option to donate in Litecoins as well?  We'd like to add this to all our community projects we're currently promoting on our site. 
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:26:15 PM

I will add Litecoin, no problem. Give me a few days.

teflone

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 05:16:19 PM

Got the first tip jar, pretty big one too. Was that you teflone ?

https://propster.hypervolume.com/tipjar/0C6XXAS

I already contacted the intended recipient on her Facebook, gonna try to get her to accept bitcoin.

I agree with you, hxtop -- by default people gonna have to jump through that hoop and learn to accept bitcoin. I like this myself, however it is my personal opinion. By providing an option in the settings, I allow other tippers to decide how their money should be handled.

Yes thats me, I already have it under control, shes going to claim the jar once she gets a chance to sit down in front of a computer.

What options will you offer her to get the funds into cash ?

How does that side of it work ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 05:33:59 PM

- One way she can publish her bitcoin address on her site, notify me by (anonymously) posting in the tip jar comments, and I will transfer it myself.

- Another way, she can create a Propster account and claim that tip jar. I will approve it, and the tipjar will show up in her account. She will be able to withdraw money from it and send it to any bitcoin address (hers).

teflone

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 05:50:48 PM

Ok, well tell her, Eric can facilitate a BTC to interac transfer (Email money transfer) to her if she likes..

But it would be cool if she set herself up with a bitcoin wallet Smiley

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:23:23 AM

Propster now supports Litecoin. Example:

https://propster.hypervolume.com/tipjar/0C73MH3

(Notice the LTC drop address.) You can also load funds with LTC if you sign-in, instead of contributing anonymously.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 10:41:13 PM

Updates:

- @PropsterBot twitter stream with site activity
- @PropsterTeam for news
- Propster.UserVoice.com for feature requests and tickets
- Domain change from propster.hypervolume.com to propster.me

Btw, Ginger St. James has 7 BTC collected in her tip jar:

https://propster.me/tipjar/0c6xxas

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:18:30 PM

To put a bookend on this thread, further discussion here:

Propster Tip Jar System
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15689.0

Unichange.me

█
            █