Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 06:25:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About all the other coins out there  (Read 1131 times)
GailSan (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 04:41:28 PM

Hi Folks,

Ive been a lurker here for a few months and just started trading.
Whilst I have picked up some knowledge I'm still a newbie
so what I say is personal speculation.

Aside from all the various shennanigans that happen around these crypto currencies the one conclusion i have come
to is all alt coins except for Bitcoin are there simply to increase your BTC holdings. Very  long-term investment is not
what I should be thinking, but waiting for rises and dips. BTC owners needed something to trade, make and lose
btc, right?

Im just not sure about these many hundreds of alt coins purpose other than that.
Am I wrong?
BeginToMine

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

https://www.payaccept.net/

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:49:51 PM

There are manyother coins that are more evolved in terms of security than bitcoin for example.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:52:00 PM

Most alt coins have no purpose, other than a way for the creators to make some money. On the other hand, some are interesting and may have some long term utility.

I believe that the long term outlook for alt coins is bad -- nearly all will eventually become worthless. However, some may succeed, and the trick is to pick the winners.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 07:01:56 PM

Hi Folks,

Aside from all the various shennanigans that happen around these crypto currencies the one conclusion i have come
to is all alt coins except for Bitcoin are there simply to increase your BTC holdings. Very  long-term investment is not
what I should be thinking, but waiting for rises and dips. BTC owners needed something to trade, make and lose
btc, right?

Im just not sure about these many hundreds of alt coins purpose other than that.
Am I wrong?

well, all altcoins including btc are you know, worthless in some sense.  A lot of coins were created at first for faster transaction times, then for specific games/causes, then for fun (doge lets say), some for anonymity, etc.  Then btc hit its huge bubble and people started trading these altcoins a lot, some went 1000x in value, even more.  Seeing this, greedy neckbeards started creating total shit coins and they flooded the market since then with shitcoin, after shitcoin, after shitcoin.

But that's life.  I wish the neckbeards didnt do it, but they did.  Then they came up with different forms of making coins, POS, hybrids, etc.  After that, well, different forms of mining coins, as you can see on coinwarz we are far from sha and scrypt now.  (all this is in no particular order of events).

Much evolving in the crypto world, it is a wild west, and I like it like that.  Be careful with exchanges, and other than that have fun.  research how many coins there are, how many are created, buy low sell high.  in the very long term all coins go to zero in my opinion, and innovation replaces them.

My worst >trade<...sortof...was mining Magic Internet Money.  that shit was funny as hell.  had a lot of fun making it rain on people and giving it out, i mined millions upon millions with 1mh/s scrypt and it is now worth less than zero.  meh, had fun, would do it again.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:20:34 AM

Most alt coins have no purpose, other than a way for the creators to make some money
Sadly, agree... altcoins ae obsolete, you can look at litecoin, its dying
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:53:14 AM

Hi Folks,

to is all alt coins except for Bitcoin are there simply to increase your BTC holdings. Very  long-term investment is not
btc, right?

Am I wrong?

Alt coins can be used for trading but watch out for spyware ones. Trading can be a good method to get more BTC, some coins have up to 50% to 70% rise in the last 24 hours.
A list of alt coins is here http://coinmarketcap.com/

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 11:27:45 AM

Almost all the coins are designed to make the developer of the said coins to earn some btc. Some may be promising, but not compared to bitcoin.
These alt coins are nice to play with; try to make some money with them if you have the time. This method can be successful, but can sometimes be a mistake. It is still up for the user to pick the coins which he thinks is better than any other coins out there. Some are just pump and dump coins, while others are there to be of a great use to the public.

Loophole

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:15:31 PM

Trading can be a good method to get more BTC, some coins have up to 50% to 70% rise in the last 24 hours.

That's kind of true. Altcoin trading is a very high-risk but also high-return investment opportunity.

Take the current price data on Bittrex https://bittrex.com/ as example, the BTC-GIVE rate has gone up 280% in the past 24 hours with a 24h-high and 24h-low at 0.00000030 and 0.00000005 respectively. On the other hand, the BTC-WWC rate has gone down 79% with a 24h-high and 24h-low at 0.00000998 and 0.00000100 respectively.

xcapator

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

Here I Am !!

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:43:16 PM

Most alt coins have no purpose, other than a way for the creators to make some money
Sadly, agree... altcoins ae obsolete, you can look at litecoin, its dying

yeah... alt coins are extremely risky due to their very high volatility and potential for pump and dump schemes. Buying alt coins now is pretty crazy, you must be either completely blind or have huge balls Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: