Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:38:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So what is fueling the support now? Is that potential Greece collapse?  (Read 2578 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 08:37:41 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 01:32:45 PM by zby

A nasty melt-down in Europe can send bitcoin price sky high - do you think it is happening now?  Or do you think the politicians will settle down again for a few months, just like they have been doing for a year already, postponing the crisis, and letting the evident down trend do it's turn before we are back to the rally?

Update: I changed the title - that was a mistake what I meant was support, but now it is even more than that.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 08:41:35 PM

Caught out short?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 08:58:11 PM

Although it seems like there could be, I've never seen much indication that the external economy impacts Bitcoin much.  And of course Bitcoin is such a tiny spec that it isn't going to influence anything externally.  So, I would not expect general macro trends involving the EU to have much impact on Bitcoin.

Now, the way Greece could have a giant impact on Bitcoin is by imposing capital controls within their boarders (thus making the advantages solution suddenly very obvious even to the slowest members of the population.)  There is a non-trivial chance that Greece will do just that.  Hopefully the Bitcoin community will take some actions to maximize the positive impact of such an event.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:01:44 PM

A nasty melt-down in Europe can send bitcoin price sky high - do you think it is happening now?  Or do you think the politicians will settle down again for a few months, just like they have been doing for a year already, postponing the crisis, and letting the evident down trend do it's turn before we are back to the rally?

For a very small few, BTC might be a way to protect the value of a currency until it is exchanged into another form.

And it would be a smart bet. If I were Greek, I would transfer a chunk of personal wealth into BTC and then back out again when the new currency comes on line.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:12:50 PM

A nasty melt-down in Europe can send bitcoin price sky high - do you think it is happening now?  Or do you think the politicians will settle down again for a few months, just like they have been doing for a year already, postponing the crisis, and letting the evident down trend do it's turn before we are back to the rally?

There's no stopping this snowball that started rolling ever since 07-08. Greece is weeks away from Argentina 2001 Nov - Dec shit storm.

EDIT: Evidence of the severity of the situation: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/has-greek-bank-run-started

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:22:28 PM

I am just wondering,  what Europeans are doing to protect their savings if they are worried? Apparently it's not gold, silver, or Bitcoins... USD???
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:25:11 PM

I am just wondering,  what Europeans are doing to protect their savings if they are worried? Apparently it's not gold, silver, or Bitcoins... USD???

As best I can tell, most Europeans are as stupid as most Americans.  So I suspect that what they are doing is, for the most part, not much of anything.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:34:06 PM

And this is what scares me the most about the whole thing: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/majority-neo-normal-greek-cops-vote-neo-nazi

In a somewhat stunning revelation, especially after our earlier note on the Golden Dawn leader's 'position' on the issues of the day, GreekReporter notes via the news paper To Vima, that more than half of all police officers in Greece voted for pro-Nazi party Golden Dawn in the elections of May 6th.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:09:08 PM

A nasty melt-down in Europe ...
... uhm where?
Greece? No, it´s just the playground to learn how a country can leave the Euro.
I doubt they can come up with working a government after next election in June, thus being bankrupt in July or so.
But why worry? The money needed has already been put aside.

On a longer run Spain or Italy might become an issue. But by then there is enough pressure in the EU to enforce a financial transaction tax.
This would either flush in the money needed to pay twice any debt you can even think of or - more likely - dry out the speculation against certain countries. Either way problem solved.

p.s.
If you want to understand what happens in Greece today, take a look at the Weimar Republic.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:19:44 PM

A nasty melt-down in Europe ...
... uhm where?
Greece? No, it´s just the playground to learn how a country can leave the Euro.
I doubt they can come up with working a government after next election in June, thus being bankrupt in July or so.
But why worry? The money needed has already been put aside.

On a longer run Spain or Italy might become an issue. But by then there is enough pressure in the EU to enforce a financial transaction tax.
This would either flush in the money needed to pay twice any debt you can even think of or - more likely - dry out the speculation against certain countries. Either way problem solved.

p.s.
If you want to understand what happens in Greece today, take a look at the Weimar Republic.

I don't know.. I think Argentina 1999 - 2002 compares a lot better and yes I agree, Spain and Italy are where it's going to really hit the fan.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 12:39:08 AM

I am just wondering,  what Europeans are doing to protect their savings if they are worried? Apparently it's not gold, silver, or Bitcoins... USD???

As best I can tell, most Europeans are as stupid as most Americans.  So I suspect that what they are doing is, for the most part, not much of anything. yelling "savings? what savings? LOL"

More like that probably.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:09:18 AM

Ha.  Taxation as the solution to growth problems -- great idea.  I almost hope they'll do it so they get the object lesson they so richly need.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:25:53 PM

KABOOM:

ECB Stops Monetary Policy Operations To Some Greek Banks http://www.zerohedge.com/news/ecb-stops-policy-operations-some-greek-banks

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 09:04:50 PM

Ha.  Taxation as the solution to growth problems ...
The opposite is the case. Taxation as a tool to dry out the growth of speculation is the idea.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 01:49:30 PM

There's no stopping this snowball that started rolling ever since 07-08. Greece is weeks away from Argentina 2001 Nov - Dec shit storm.

EDIT: Evidence of the severity of the situation: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/has-greek-bank-run-started

Those queues are truly shocking.  It looks almost like... any typical lunchtime in a busy shopping mall in my city.

We'll know the bank run is under way when people are lining up outside banks around street corners, ala Northern Rock or Zimbabwe.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:43:03 PM

You both do understand that these pictures weren't really the evidence of the run that is in fact happening, right?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:58:20 PM

3 guys in line at an atm is pretty lol for being used of evidence of anything.

You're missing the point. What you are saying above DID NOT HAPPEN. The pictures weren't the evidence. Read the article to learn what the evidence is.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 04:17:36 PM

3 guys in line at an atm is pretty lol for being used of evidence of anything.

You're missing the point. What you are saying above DID NOT HAPPEN. The pictures weren't the evidence. Read the article to learn what the evidence is.

trust me i know very much what is going on, what went on, and what will go on. i just loled at the photo.

The photo was merely a poorly chosen illustration for the zerohedge article and practically irrelevant is my point. I guess I could have dropped it when I posted about the article but I decided against it in favor a little visual stimulation.. perhaps a mistake.

zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 04:29:53 PM

Bloomberg: "Greece may have only a 46-hour window of opportunity should it need to plot a route out of the euro." http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-22/war-gaming-greek-euro-exit-highlights-hazards-in-46-hour-weekend.html

And later in the same article what you get?  Yes - capital controls!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 04:34:27 PM

Maybe support is just increcing as little by little people are hearing about BTC?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: