Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla changes TOS to prohibit Bitcoin transactions?  (Read 13975 times)
Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:15:18 PM

i don't think dwolla will prohibit the currency exchange or will ban users to send money between mtgox and dwolla. they are not stupid to stop a secure cash flow between bitcoin exchangers and them.
Do you know this though? I agree that is sounds like an idiotic move and they shouldn't, but any idea for sure?

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:19:31 PM

The gov is very smart and since they are in a recession they are looking to save some dough.

Attack BTC not by technical means but by things like prohibiting Dwolla and Paxum transfers due to AML regulation.
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:25:27 PM

AML there AML here and the money are laundered under their front door.  paypal is the biggest laundry machine i've ever seen and they are hand in hand with the gov so i guess the new policy is put there only to be seen, but who cares. i don't think dwolla will bother to stop the transfers between them and exchangers.

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 11:44:26 PM

The gov is very smart and since they are in a recession they are looking to save some dough.

Attack BTC not by technical means but by things like prohibiting Dwolla and Paxum transfers due to AML regulation.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/04/wachovia-paid-trivial-fine-for-nearly-400-billion-of-drug-related-money-laundering.html

Wachovia was connected to almost 400 Billion in dirty money, even if every Bitcoin ever exchanged was dirty it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket (ocean maybe).

-Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 01:30:53 AM

was going to withdraw with dwolla anyway, but this 'withdrawal center' thing has been pending verification of my dwolla account (I guess??) for the last 12 hours or so
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:00:27 AM

was going to withdraw with dwolla anyway, but this 'withdrawal center' thing has been pending verification of my dwolla account (I guess??) for the last 12 hours or so

Mt. Gox has been indicating that it is taking several days (up to 6) before they can send the Dwolla funds.  You can request from Mt. Gox that they cancel the transfer, however.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 05:28:49 AM

I couldn't initiate a transfer, since my Dwolla account was 'pending verification'.  Issue has nothing to do with the delay with the processing of Dwolla withdrawals.  No withdrawal took place.

ed:  It appears as if it has been "verified".  It is a bit bizarre that it lists the 'Dwolla' withdrawal method at the very bottom, below 'US Dollar (Dwolla)'.

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120418.html

lol

I started a withdrawal.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 07:19:13 AM

To add to the pain, now Dwolla users will need to become "verified" (photo ID) with Mt. Gox:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82328.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 07:23:11 AM

This thread provides a temporary solution Smiley https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78512.0

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 07:57:35 AM

Thought I would revisit this thread to say that my withdrawal to Dwolla finally went through.  Requested Monday morning, took till Thursday night.  The support ticket I put in with Gox had comments on it that they are aware of the problems, but they linked me to some outdated information on the situation.  They did say they were working on it and they could tell me when Dwolla would accept the transfer as far as what they can see on their side.  Well, it finally went through at least.
malaimult

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 01:27:40 PM

dwolla always asked for the photo id verification and if you didn't hit the flag from dwolla this week you will hit it next week so either way they will ask you to provide the photo id.  mtgox i think its fair if you stay above the limits they will not ask for the photo ids but if you like to upgrade you might consider giving them the verification details.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 02:33:18 PM

dwolla always asked for the photo id verification and if you didn't hit the flag from dwolla this week you will hit it next week so either way they will ask you to provide the photo id.  mtgox i think its fair if you stay above the limits they will not ask for the photo ids but if you like to upgrade you might consider giving them the verification details.

I think you misunderstand.  Mt.Gox now requires verification to transfer any amount using Dwolla.

Effective from Friday 25th of May, any user using Dwolla via Mt.Gox will be required to own a Verified account.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 02:54:52 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2012, 05:52:07 PM by rjk

dwolla always asked for the photo id verification and if you didn't hit the flag from dwolla this week you will hit it next week so either way they will ask you to provide the photo id.  mtgox i think its fair if you stay above the limits they will not ask for the photo ids but if you like to upgrade you might consider giving them the verification details.

I think you misunderstand.  Mt.Gox now requires verification to transfer any amount using Dwolla.

Effective from Friday 25th of May, any user using Dwolla via Mt.Gox will be required to own a Verified account.
So now, all Dwolla is is another PayPal with a useless number system that is even less intuitive than PayPal's own email system. ("Hey guys, send me some money, my number is 123-456-789! No, you can't use my email address because the platform I am using is shit.")

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 05:12:32 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2012, 06:01:17 AM by honest bob

Dwolla is a fucking embarrassment of a business. They come around touting their "no risk of chargeback" bullshit, thinking that they can build a foolproof, low fees network built completely on top of auto clearing house transfers with zero experience in the banking world aside from selling a few subwoofers on eBay. Unless you want to get fucked on a daily basis, you can't have instant transfers plus no chargebacks if your genius idea is to facilitate ach transfers between users. To think that dwolla is proud of the fact that they have no banking experience. Their brazenness screwed tradehill out of business. Since then, they have become nothing more than a VERY shitty clone of PayPal and moneybookers, with a laughably unsustainable business model. Every time they come out with a new post on their pitifully unprofessional blog, i want to vomit. They are fools--Ben Milne, Ashton Kuthcher, the lot of them. I will continue to use them until I get my okpay account set up, but I am awaiting the day when all of my funds in dwolla are permanently inaccessible.

edit: sorry, this is probably out of line.
Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2012, 10:25:02 PM

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/04/wachovia-paid-trivial-fine-for-nearly-400-billion-of-drug-related-money-laundering.html

Wachovia was connected to almost 400 Billion in dirty money, even if every Bitcoin ever exchanged was dirty it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket (ocean maybe).

-Jered

That's the most epic article I've read in ages, thanks.

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
malaimult

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:06:26 PM

bob i don't think they want to copy the paypal platform and from my experience with dwolla i don't know how they upset you but the system itself to receive money using your bank account and pay someone using the dwolla platform its ok.

but many people like yourself are upset about the mtgox to dwolla or dwolla to mtgox transfers. i don't think dwolla close your account without notice or freeze your funds for 180 days.

so comparing to dwolla with paypal i think it's wrong in my opinion

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 02:19:21 AM

but many people like yourself are upset about the mtgox to dwolla or dwolla to mtgox transfers. i don't think dwolla close your account without notice or freeze your funds for 180 days.

They stole 5 figures from Tradehill's account and faked the logs/reports to make it look like the money had never been deposited.

They make Paypal look like the poster child for ethical behavior.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 03:17:21 AM

I stopped using dwolla and the exchanges months ago and have been doing all my purchases P2P, and I will never look back.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 06:10:55 AM

bob i don't think they want to copy the paypal platform and from my experience with dwolla i don't know how they upset you but the system itself to receive money using your bank account and pay someone using the dwolla platform its ok.

so comparing to dwolla with paypal i think it's wrong in my opinion

good points, i just felt like ranting after reading their new tos when i logged in. It's nice for paying rent or something i suppose, but that's really about it. The service has a couple of nice features that I would probably like to use, if I actually trusted the bastards. Maybe theyre not bastards, maybe they are. I lean towards "yes, bastards." They have become very similar to paypal; but you are right, they are not identical to them. It is frustrating to look back at when they strutted into the banking game claiming to revolutionize this and disrupt that, but really there is nothing special about them anymore. There has been so much backpedaling on dwollas's part, and they still think they are gamechangers... Also, I don't understand how ANYONE ANYWHERE would EVER trust someone with much money when they explicitly maintain the right to change their ToS without notice.

I suspect that f bitinstant starts fooling around with ach transfers--which I hope does not happen--they will likely run into some of the same problems.
malaimult

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 01:46:55 PM

there;s nothing more to cover bob, paypal recover every customer needs regarding moving money around and paying merchants, pay bills etc so the only thing dwolla will have to do now is to have a transparent service and easy to use. i moved around 53k last month with dwolla and all the transactions was 100% successful and painless. 

I can't tell that about paypal, i/ve call them so many times i can't remember regarding verifications and have one account blocked for 180 with 18k in it 

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: