Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocks are still taking way too long.  (Read 5926 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:10:53 AM

Over 30 minutes for a single confirmation does not (and will not ever) work in the real world.
(Almost) Every time I start to believe that BTC is "going mainstream", I have a delay waiting for a 30+ minute block....  Shocked

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:16:11 AM

Over 30 minutes for a single confirmation does not (and will not ever) work in the real world.
(Almost) Every time I start to believe that BTC is "going mainstream", I have a delay waiting for a 30+ minute block....  Shocked

BS, its called variance. I have always got confirmed within 10min, some even in secs ..... What does that tell you?

Look at the avg block time, you've been this ignorant b4. Sell your coins and fck off?
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:05:34 AM

If you are not patient, you can go to other altcoins having quick confirmation, such as NXt, doge etc.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:10:39 AM

solution:
if your paying for a coffee or a mars bar, dont wait. if your buying a house wait 30 minutes

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:12:10 AM

How much are you paying in fees?

just out of curiosity!

Space for rent if its still trending
manu92

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:00:15 AM

BS, its called variance. I have always got confirmed within 10min, some even in secs ..... What does that tell you?

Look at the avg block time, you've been this ignorant b4. Sell your coins and fck off?

What intolerance ! it's not because someone is critical (maybe his critic is wrong) that he is against bitcoin and must f.....

solution:
if your paying for a coffee or a mars bar, dont wait. if your buying a house wait 30 minutes

between purchases under $ 10 and purchases over 100 000 $ there a lot of other product to buy, so you should wait or not ?  Tongue
zetaray

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:06:19 AM

This has been discussed before many times. Block times are variable and unpredictable. Sometimes it's a few seconds, sometimes it's an hour. When we have a offchain payment system for small amounts, block times wouldn't matter.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 09:07:36 AM

Common issue anyway. I'm not surprised if this the main barrier that prevents bitcoin adoption. I mean why should a person made to wait for long confirmation to complete the purchase. Just use cash.

zetaray

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:13:37 AM

Common issue anyway. I'm not surprised if this the main barrier that prevents bitcoin adoption. I mean why should a person made to wait for long confirmation to complete the purchase. Just use cash.

If you are making a payment at a local shop, cash is good. What if the parties involved are not physically at the same place. For online orders, confirmation times becomes less relevant.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Q7

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 09:21:53 AM

If you are making a payment at a local shop, cash is good. What if the parties involved are not physically at the same place. For online orders, confirmation times becomes less relevant.

Maybe i just rephrase it. Use ltc or doge if that buyer if willing to accept. The point i want to tell *very straight and simple* is that people would rather use alternative form of payment method which is faster. Even my credit card payment is faster. Nobody likes to wait unless you tell me bitcoin is the only payment mode accepted at the counter

hanzac

Activity: 425
Merit: 262

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:00:06 AM

For small payments by face to face, you don't need to get confirmation at all. It's foolish to wait for some dollars.
Just send the payment and succeed in the transaction, I think it's enough. You know it will get confirmed finally.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:01:38 AM

Don't send no fee transactions if you're in a hurry.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
susan234

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:36:09 PM

Thirty minutes is a bit too longer,but there is no other good ways to Short the time spending on the confirmation of the BTC

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 01:19:12 PM

Maybe i just rephrase it. Use ltc or doge if that buyer if willing to accept. The point i want to tell *very straight and simple* is that people would rather use alternative form of payment method which is faster. Even my credit card payment is faster. Nobody likes to wait unless you tell me bitcoin is the only payment mode accepted at the counter

As mentioned, Bitcoin is not ideal for in-person transactions: we have cash for that.

However, you are incorrect when you say your credit card is faster. The payment may be authorized within seconds: but all they are checking for is whether you have enough available credit to cover the purchase. Edit: (You can even exploit this to "double spend" more than your credit limit (there is a charge for doing that)) A careful reading of your credit-card bill should reveal that the "Posting date" is sometimes several days later than the "Transaction date". Unlike Bitcoin, such transactions can be reversed for up to 6 months in the case of fraud.

Bitcoin really competes with wire transfers: which can still take several days. Often the intermediate banks will take up to $50 in order to pass it on to the next bank in the chain. To get 6 confirmations within 2 hours is cheap and reliable in comparison.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 01:42:10 PM

Even if a transx was 1hour long each time it wouldn't be so bad as it seems.. Bank transfers can last up to 72 hours just to arrive in someone else's account.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 01:53:52 PM

When we have a offchain payment system for small amounts, block times wouldn't matter.
This.

Soon enough confirmation times will be irrelevant for low cost day-to-day transactions.
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:15:31 PM

I would really like to know how can this be solved
It something that has always worried me, it is not good that a transaction take more than 10 minutes to get 1 confirmation
Q7

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 02:15:46 PM

As mentioned, Bitcoin is not ideal for in-person transactions: we have cash for that.

However, you are incorrect when you say your credit card is faster. The payment may be authorized within seconds: but all they are checking for is whether you have enough available credit to cover the purchase. Edit: (You can even exploit this to "double spend" more than your credit limit (there is a charge for doing that)) A careful reading of your credit-card bill should reveal that the "Posting date" is sometimes several days later than the "Transaction date". Unlike Bitcoin, such transactions can be reversed for up to 6 months in the case of fraud.

Bitcoin really competes with wire transfers: which can still take several days. Often the intermediate banks will take up to $50 in order to pass it on to the next bank in the chain. To get 6 confirmations within 2 hours is cheap and reliable in comparison.

Which part is wrong? When i make purchases at the retail stores, once i get confirmation which is probably less than 2 minutes, i can just walk away with the goods. Doesn't matter what the posting date is. If there is a reverse tx, the name is clearly printed.

With bitcoin not even having its first confirmation within 30 minutes, do you think the guy will let me walk away even if i show him the transaction screen on my phone? The sale is not going to move to next step if neither party receive some form of trust and assurance that 'hey we have an agreement'

I'm comparing against all payment modes whether it is using cash, other altcoins, credit card, wire transfer and probably with that long confirmation, it only beats cross border transaction *thus far*

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 02:28:24 PM

Which part is wrong? When i make purchases at the retail stores, once i get confirmation which is probably less than 2 minutes, i can just walk away with the goods. Doesn't matter what the posting date is. If there is a reverse tx, the name is clearly printed.

Where you say "confirmation which is probably less than 2 minutes" with respect to credit cards. The "credit available" check is essentially equivalent to a 0 confirmation transaction. In the case of fraud, your name does not help the retailer. It is not like they check ID for most transactions.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Q7

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 02:38:03 PM

With bitcoin not even having its first confirmation within 30 minutes, do you think the guy will let me walk away even if i show him the transaction screen on my phone? The sale is not going to move to next step if neither party receive some form of trust and assurance that 'hey we have an agreement'

Where you say "confirmation which is probably less than 2 minutes" with respect to credit cards. The "credit available" check is essentially equivalent to a 0 confirmation transaction. In the case of fraud, your name does not help the retailer. It is not like they check ID for most transactions.

If we can stick to the topic here on transaction time and bitcoin viability in a day-to-day application rather than deviating to credit card fraud. Also for your info, how credit card company handle transactions differ from country to country based on financial systems.

Edit: put in the second paragraph in case you miss out

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: