Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:50:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Connection  (Read 1190 times)
jsttn (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:09:00 AM

Hi all,

Sorry for asking a ton of questions on the forum but I'm really excited about my miner! I want to put my miner downstairs in my basement however there's no wired internet connection down there. I would have to buy another modem and pay the additional monthly fee (which I'm not doing...). So is there a way I can either make my wifi into a wired connection (some kind of reverse wireless router) or maybe add wireless to my miner?

Thanks!
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:28:52 AM

Hi all,

Sorry for asking a ton of questions on the forum but I'm really excited about my miner! I want to put my miner downstairs in my basement however there's no wired internet connection down there. I would have to buy another modem and pay the additional monthly fee (which I'm not doing...). So is there a way I can either make my wifi into a wired connection (some kind of reverse wireless router) or maybe add wireless to my miner?

Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-USB2-0-Wireless-802-11-Adapter/dp/B004I8B8Z6

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jsttn (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

Hi all,

Thanks!

Thanks. Would this work with BAMT?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:38:30 AM

Hi all,

Thanks!

Thanks. Would this work with BAMT?
Not sure... wireless might be more of a PITA with BAMT than with other OSes.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:41:50 AM

just find a wireless access point or router which can be put into bridge mode.

Internet ------ Router w/ wifi ................ Router in Bridge mode ---- all your miners.

..... = wifi link
---- = ethernet

As far as BAMT is concerned it is connected via wired ethernet.  No drivers to install, nothing to configure (on the BAMT rigs).
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 01:49:14 PM

That's the setup I use and have had no issues with it at all.  If needed I can give you the make/model of the receiving/repeating router with Ethernet ports but it's nothing specialized and can be picked up at any decent electronics store (think I got mine at Fry's).
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:33:33 PM

If your WiFi connection to the basement is stable, you're fine with the proposed wireless bridge.

My miners are also in the basement, but with two concrete floors in between -- resulting in poor or no WLAN connectivity and bad mining performance. I am using a powerline network adapter kit from Devolo (dLan 200 AVmini). One endpoint is connected directly with my cable modem (or ISP router) in my apartment, the other to a network switch in the basement where the various miners are attached to.

Works flawlessly for me. You'll need to check that the current circuit in your basement and your apartment are at the same line.

I personally won't use WiFi for mining - even though I work in the industrial wireless industry (and therefore know why).

amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 01:46:36 AM

For anyone interested, what I'm using:

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13017

At the time I didn't want to wait so I grabbed whatever was available at the store I was in so there is probably better and cheaper similar repeater to be found online.
swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 11:39:30 AM

this thread gave me some nice ideas
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 09:46:36 PM

I would have to buy another modem and pay the additional monthly fee (which I'm not doing...)
Huh
What additional monthly fee?

Just buy a wireless bridge and done.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: