Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:20:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: removed  (Read 2337 times)
Andrew Bitcoiner (OP)

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 03:41:59 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2012, 03:31:14 AM by Andrew Bitcoiner

remo

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:59:37 AM

Ya.
People need to be more sensitive to other's needs and show empathy whenever/wherever possible.
It's simply foolish to think that we just can't all get along. The hate, vulgarity and trolling all need to stop now.

I for one am doing my part to represent myself in a manor similar to that of an Internet Ambassador for my region.

We need only look upon each other as brothers and sisters, spreading love and understanding.

Before you post again, ask yourself: What can I do to make <insert name here>'s day better today ?

Enough is enough people. It's time we all put our differences aside and learned to understand each other, rather than simply hate, rant and troll.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 04:55:52 AM

If you happen to see an insulting, vindictive, and offensive post by a forum member directed at other forum members I would like to encourage people to click on the Report to moderator button on the post and just enter "Tired of the hate." Maybe when the directors of this forum get thousands and thousands of complaints about individual posts and members they will get the message that tolerating this is not acceptable.

Matches: from:(noreply@bitcointalk.org) subject:(Reported post:) ("Tired of the hate.")
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

Just thought that I'd bring that up just in case people get the idea that it's ok to abuse the report system.

If the posts aren't off-topic, we won't do anything about it. Sometimes, hate is well-deserved. We can't be the judge of that.

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:33:41 AM

I agree some people need to be hated, but usually only because if their own initial hate or verbal abuse. The forum is entirely full of trolls, and although they do not outweigh the honest people, they are much more visible and something should be done. "What?" is the $64,000 question...

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 10:57:05 AM

free speech is worth protecting.
You don't have to tolerate insults to protect what free speech is about.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 10:59:24 AM

I agree some people need to be hated, but usually only because if their own initial hate or verbal abuse. The forum is entirely full of trolls, and although they do not outweigh the honest people, they are much more visible and something should be done. "What?" is the $64,000 question...
Nobody needs to be hated. However we sometimes need to ignore some people and feel sorry for them that they're unable to be friendly to others. Because if you're mean, angry, and hateful towards others, chances are you're not being very peaceful inside.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 11:19:22 AM

I'm glad I came accross this thread.Most of what is discussed here so far I agree with,that we need to report and cleanup the forum of the trolls.I do wonder though why the powers that be aren't more proactive in cleaning up trolls like I'm used to seeing on all other forums.Maybe we should bring focus to the user experience on here.

To the poster who said,you don't have to tolerate insults under the guise of free speech,that attitude I commend, and in the UK we follow an approach where we try to strike a balance (no one gets it right all the time but hey,beats being trolled). I wish more sites and people followed a more balanced approach in freedom of expression instead of either absolute free expression (which the trolls thrive on) and absolute censorship (which control obsessed people thrive on and prevents valid criticism from improving things as well as just being free to go about daily business without excessive interference)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 11:38:19 AM

I'm glad I came accross this thread.Most of what is discussed here so far I agree with,that we need to report and cleanup the forum of the trolls.I do wonder though why the powers that be aren't more proactive in cleaning up trolls like I'm used to seeing on all other forums.Maybe we should bring focus to the user experience on here.

To the poster who said,you don't have to tolerate insults under the guise of free speech,that attitude I commend, and in the UK we follow an approach where we try to strike a balance (no one gets it right all the time but hey,beats being trolled). I wish more sites and people followed a more balanced approach in freedom of expression instead of either absolute free expression (which the trolls thrive on) and absolute censorship (which control obsessed people thrive on and prevents valid criticism from improving things as well as just being free to go about daily business without excessive interference)

In the past some of the mods and bitcoin developers would have had to have been banned for trolling if these were the rules. If this was the UK one of the mods/bitcoin developers would be in court right now over unfounded defamation and slander.

This forum lets you say whatever you like as long as it is on topic, and legal in the USA/Japan. Only thing we can't do is sell something illegal or pay for violence. I'm pretty happy the way things are and if you do not like some of the trolls you can use the "ignore".

No reason to limit other peoples experience because you got upset about having to listen to someones opinion. (Yes, please ignore me now if you wish!)

Smiley

It's ok.I see no reason to ignore you as you raise an intersting point.It gives me a wider view of how people see things.The UK isn't as harsh as people think (although I could have explained it a little better). No one in UK just gets dragged to court over an online forum post.That wouldn't make sense.The only laws that come to play depend on what happened.So if a person posted something racist,then the racial equality laws would apply but because laws are famous for not keeping up with changes in technology (the internet is not tied to the laws of one country-thats the point of it), I think it is more important to listen to people to see where the common ground is (for example we all agree that racism is not ok or that stealing isn't ok.) It's just the way of life.

As for the ignore feature,I'd like to learn how to use it as the forum does provide tools to help relieve certain types of issues.That is good to see. Like I said before, seeking a balance of freedom vs right not to be harassed is never easy and no one can get it right 100% of the time,this is why people keep fine tuning things to make them better.

It's also worth noting that the laws of the forum will have to follow where ever it is physically hosted (if servers are in US/Japan,then forum has to follow the laws of US/Japan-that means allowing freedom of expression in this case)

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 12:01:14 PM

free speech is worth protecting.

Yeah. The freedom to create your own internet forum when you get banned from this one. Smiley

This forum is the beating heart of internet discussion of Bitcoin, and it is not a healthy heart.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 12:04:35 PM

This forum is the beating heart of internet discussion of Bitcoin, and it is not a healthy heart.
You are fast to judge.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 12:25:49 PM

Matches: from:(noreply@bitcointalk.org) subject:(Reported post:) ("Tired of the hate.")
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

Just thought that I'd bring that up just in case people get the idea that it's ok to abuse the report system.

If the posts aren't off-topic, we won't do anything about it. Sometimes, hate is well-deserved. We can't be the judge of that.

Thank you, Maged, for taking this position. It's harder and harder to find people who don't try to shut up those who annoy them.

This topic reminds me of this great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoqzb5R6vw
elux
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 12:31:52 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 04:13:42 PM by elux

I had a specific point in mind.

Namely: One of the uses of bitcointalk.org is announcements, such as;

[ANN] Critical vulnerability (denial-of-service attack) and [Emergency ANN] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation.

These announcements can be important to your health, wealth or well-being. They also get picked up by mainstream media.

The Bitcoinica thread is/was used as the central channel of communication by the main parties. It has around 950 posts atm.

If you are affected by this incident and just found out about it, or,
you are a reporter from some news biggish agency, on a tight schedule,
and you want to cover the main points of it intelligibly...

Well, you'd be facing 50 pages of actual [NEWS] floating in a sea of circle-jerking filth, trolls, counter-trolls and angry, sometimes vengeful rants.
I should rephrase this in more generous terms, but it'll have to serve as a probable first impression for visitors to bitcointalk.

My (personal, not-important, but not likely unique) opinion is that bitcointalk.org (sometimes) reflects poorly on Bitcoin and everyone involved.
This saddens me a smidgen. So, I would pleasantly surprised if the discussions and their participants were kept on a slightly shorter leash.

I would love reddit/slashdot style karma based, crowd sourced moderation, where a sufficient number of down-votes hides your comment.

Lastly, I thought this was beautiful and really well worded. I echo your sentiment exactly.*

Nobody needs to be hated. However we sometimes need to ignore some people and feel sorry for them that they're unable to be friendly to others.

* - Though I wouldn't cry if it were easier to ignore. It gets tiring, to have to feel sorry too often.
elux
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 01:16:26 PM

Maybe bitcoinica should use their website for that sort of thing and not a forum.

Yeah. Hardly the most professional way to handle a crisis on their part.

MyBitcoin all over again, the exception being sporadic newsflashes to the 50 page heavy [ANN] thread.

Which, come to think of it, was what MyBitcoin did did as well? *shakes head in disapproval*
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

The attitudes expressed reveal the best thing for me to do is start my own forum.
See you around! (Or not, LOL)
film2240
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 03:14:27 PM

The attitudes expressed reveal the best thing for me to do is start my own forum.

Yes, in your own forum you can ban and censor all you like just like the solidcoin forum!

Smiley

If there is one thing I truly respect (after freedom of expression and trialling of ideas), it's that one idea (Bitcoin) can lead to diversity and expansion into new markets and audiences.Take me for example.I'm a filmmaker who wishes to expand my audience.How do I do that? Well I actually encourage those to create their own branches and offer localised versions of my films (ie subtitled into the local languages,cutting or adding scenes not present in my main film or offering a compelling alternative to all other options in their respective markets) either for a fee or free (depends on the film and it's contents)

Ok.Some people will turn out to be a little mean but that's ok.Because other people will then use those oppourtunities to create their idea of what it right for them. Once the best ideas catch on, the majority will switch to the newly created alternatives and the cycle repeats itself. I'd like to create my own forums again (I used to from 2008 til 2011) as I feel I can try out different approaches which may work out. People who like the forums will stay,people don't will simply move on. The great power of diversity.

An example of when diversity hasn't gone well is the SolidCoin forums.It started off as something good,then it regressed to the point that people wanted to create something better (like the soldcoin fork of SolidCoin currency) and left Solidcoin in larger and larger numbers expect for those either loyal or those who really liked the idea.

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:17:06 PM

When someone pisses me off, I just click ignore too. Even if I intend to read their posts later, I will just temporarily unignore. That way they have a slightly greater chance of having their ignore button "lit up" to everyone else. If I had an app to toggle a big ignore list when I sign in/out I'd use that.

Andrew, have you considered starting an Osiris portal? I feel like a P2P community ought to use P2P communication, although I personally don't have any major issues with the bitcointalk moderation.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:52:02 PM

FYI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris_(Serverless_Portal_System)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 04:01:19 PM

By all accounts, the majority of people here are happy with the way the forum is moderated. If you aren't, then you are in the minority and probably would be well served with a forum of your own. We can always use more forums, there shouldn't be just one or two. If people really do want more moderation of "rude" or "mean" comments then they will use it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 04:19:08 PM

You are probably all wondering how I avoid posting hateful things so well. The truth is I haven't actually written 4772 posts here, it's more like 10000. I just write the post and click on "Home" instead of "Send".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 04:20:30 PM

You are probably all wondering how I avoid posting hateful things so well. The truth is I haven't actually written 4772 posts here, it's more like 10000. I just write the post and click on "Home" instead of "Send".

I do that a lot too. So much time wasted.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: