Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GLBSE] Bitcoin Mining Fund (see post #2 for FAQ)  (Read 8054 times)
usagi (OP)
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:10:04 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 03:10:51 PM by usagi

[GLBSE] Bitcoin Mining Fund (see post #2 for FAQ)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ben Walsh (beamer)

Activity: 343
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 09:53:18 AM

A 50,000 BTC fund is small ?

Fair enough. What experience and credentials as a fund manager do you have ?

How long have you been involved with bitcoin and using GLBSE ?

Trust isn't such an issue as before, as I assume you will be fully verifying with GLBSE ?

What monthly dedicated time commitment will you be making ? Please state hours.

I may be willing to provide access to trading tools which could improve your performance as a fund manager but let's get the basic questions out the way first.

This is the sort of fund I am looking for.
publio

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:25:13 AM

It's a 10,000 BTC fund; maybe you meant USD.  However, even that is not small for a first time offering.

Holding multiple mining symbols has the advantage of receiving dividends throughout the week, rather than only weekly.  Paying dividends only monthly may make some less likely to invest.  A month is a long time, when bitcoins are involved.  Another disadvantage of this is how it's going to affect the price.  The price of the fund wont be steady, but will depend on the time to the next payment.  This is because the dividend is large, compared to the price.  You can see this behavior, for different reasons, in the PPT.* funds.  I haven't observed it for miners.

exahash

Activity: 278

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:18:28 PM

Thanks for the point about weekly payments versus monthly payments. However a lot of things about the GLBSE seem weird to me. For example, a lot of miners are paying 1 to 3% per WEEK. If you have a background in finance you... well.. I won't say it here, but "wow, just wow".

Right.  The primary issue there is scale.  It's not so difficult to turn $1 into $2 again and again.  There's even a story out there about a guy who (through multiple trades) traded up from a paperclip to a car.  Or was it a house?  It is a lot more difficult to turn $1 billion in to $2 billion, let alone do it repeatedly.

Warren Buffet has been warning that Berkshire Hathaway is getting so big it won't be able to generate the stellar rates of return it has in the past.  

For example, if I told you I was offering a security on the GLBSE that paid 1% per month (guaranteed), no one would invest in it. But that's actually a really good price and for zero risk it's actually quite an unbelievable offer. I fear that interest rates are going to crash on the GLBSE within the year or prices will go up 4x to 5x or at least back up to where they were a year ago (say up by 3x to $15/btc).

Zero risk, huh?  I'd take that action if it *really* were zero risk, but the reality is that there are always some risks.  Even US Govt bonds have some risk.  Congress almost defaulted last year.  With more than $250k in a regular bank savings account you run the risk of loss if the bank goes under.  Your brokerage probably only insures your cash up to $5mm.

You could say the "premium" return rates on many glbse securities are there in large part *because* a lot of the investors understand that they really are pretty risky (compared to the dow 30, reits, junk bonds, or even your buddy's new restaurant).
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:39:20 PM

Why strictly mining companies? There are benefits from them such as constant dividends if price falls, but other than protection features like that I can't find a reason not to invest in others.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:48:56 PM

Not accusing you of anything BUT if you would come to the lending thread today and ask for lets say 20...heck... 10 coins even , you would get scores of replies grilling you why they should trust you etc...etc...    Asking for 10,000 coins from the start is a brave move. I hope you are genuine but caution investors.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 10:39:10 PM

Two things that I would change/consider:

1) 1 BTC share price is bad for liquidity imho. - please make it 10 or even 1 Bitcent a piece and just issue 10 or 100 times more shares.
2) Monthly aggregated payouts will fluctuate a LOT especially with assets like YABMC that pay out after difficulty changes. Other assets also pay out only each weekend - there are months with 5 weekends...

Also I certainly do NOT like the "no insurance" policy, since you're likely selling at a NAV above 100%. To be worthwile, your NAV would need to be below 100% in my opinion.

Monthly payments + huge IPO can also lead to at least some time of "buy on the 29th and get double dividends". If you start with 0 assets, it's not good to buy in early and if everyone buys in late, there are no dividends yet here.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:21:28 AM

Hello, I'd like to make a quick announcement.

The news page (post #2) has been updated as follows:

2012-05-22: An interview with gigavps of Gigamining has been published on our blog.
Cool!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:35:33 AM

Awesome insight on giga's operation. BMF seems like it will be a very promising asset.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
friedcat
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 05:22:43 AM

As a fund manager of MU, I have some questions. Hopefully they could help you elaborate a more detailed proposal.

1. Will the dividends of BMF solely come from the dividends of mining assets you receive? For example, if you buy 10,000 shares of Gigaming at 1.5BTC/s, and sell them at 1.6BTC/s after a month. Will the profits all be used for re-investing, or will you pay some of them as dividends?

2. Will you actively contact asset issuers for cheaper bulk purchase of shares? If so, have you already started at least getting them known?

3. There is already a GLBSE listed fund solely on mining investments called M.ETF. It has already existed for a long time. It's not an ETF though, it's a mutual fund as yours. The fund manager (JL421) made a very impressive summary of mining assets before he did the IPO (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66610.0). If you do something similar, your fund will be more attractive to investors.

MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:28:04 PM

Are there mining companies on GLBSE you don't include in your fund? Why not?
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:40:55 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!
Regarding item 8: I'm new to GLBSE (and investment in general) - but looking at BMF there, I realized that if I bought shares at 0.95 or 1.0 , I wouldn't be able to get my money back unless you successfully sell your remaining 9000+ shares - because there's noone buying for more than 0.1 . Since it would take a lot of capital to fill buy the rest of the shares, the risk seems pretty high.
If someone (you?) would place a bid at 0.8 or something, it might help psychologically.. ?
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:14:32 PM

Thanks again for your answer!

Could you share some thoughts on mining shares vs mining bonds, and how this affects BMF?
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 03:26:17 AM

Well, some make a point out of their assets being shares as in you're buying not only parts of mining output, but parts of the actual hardware. Which would make a difference if it were sold f.ex. And that it gives voting rights. The difference might be in the contract, and might be hypothetical, depending on the trustworthiness of the operator.
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 06:00:59 AM

You just have to watch out for the few who are.

That's what BMF is for - I can leave that to you Wink
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 07:50:01 AM

At least one company said, for example, that shareholders don't own hardware and in the next paragraph said that if the company liquidates it's hardware it will pay out the proceeds as dividend. This doesn't make sense to me.

As far as I understood that, they meant that you can not buy 10% of shares and then request to be sent 10% of their hardware in return. In the end you own the value of the hardware (as you get paid whe liquidating) but not the hardware itself. It's really badly worded, that's true...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 09:15:07 AM

Just a comment on your website - I saw no direct link to your GLBSE page. It would be convenient to have one.
The page says "footer here" at the bottom - this might be a good place for it.
MoneyIsDebt

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:17:33 PM

Can't believe I missed it because of glbse downtime today Sad
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 06:13:06 AM

I don't know if GLBSE supports this, but you may consider  1/10 share split. 1 BTC per share is too high. I believe you could sell more and have bigger trade volumes at lower price. You investors would benefit out of this as well. When they decide to sell their shares they will find more bidders.
 BTW, do you plan to sell only those 10000 shares or you may issue more anytime you want to?
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 12:42:26 PM

If you had lower prices people could easily reinvest their dividends into your fund. This way they may reinvest them into other assets and your fund will grow slower.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: