Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:38:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is stealing bitcoins illegal?  (Read 9363 times)
BBmmBB

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:11:32 PM

Stealing anything is illegal, even bitcoins, if: 1) there is a law; 2) if someone makes a valid claim against someone who stole the bitcoins.

Stealing anything is wrong. Maybe it is not illegal. But it is wrong. The things that make it illegal are as listed in the first paragraph above, and repeated here:
1. If there is a law against it;
2. If someone makes a valid claim that someone else has stolen his bitcoins, thereby depriving him of his property unlawfully.

Smiley

what if you steal a thieves' bitcoins, like the people that stole from Silk Road

morality, legality on that?    Smiley

LET'S DO THIS! LOL  Grin  >>> STORM THE CASTLE!!! WEEEEEE
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/4/13/1271173556471/Robin-Hood-Errol-Flynn-002.jpg
santaClause

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

Stealing anything is illegal, even bitcoins, if: 1) there is a law; 2) if someone makes a valid claim against someone who stole the bitcoins.

Stealing anything is wrong. Maybe it is not illegal. But it is wrong. The things that make it illegal are as listed in the first paragraph above, and repeated here:
2. If someone makes a valid claim that someone else has stolen his bitcoins, thereby depriving him of his property unlawfully.

Smiley

what if you steal a thieves' bitcoins, like the people that stole from Silk Road

morality, legality on that?    Smiley
This would still be illegal. The reason or person that you steal from does not matter in the eyes of the law, although stealing certain high amounts or stealing from certain people can be treated more harshly.

The fact that bitcoin is fungible means that you cannot determine if the bitcoin that was stolen from SR is the "same" bitcoin that you stole from the thief
evok3d

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:37:08 PM

Only if you get caught and reported i guess.

Just trade for them, using bitcointalk as a moral compass is a bit funny. If you do/dont based on law rather than knowing what is wrong/right then that is a bigger issue Cheesy

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:12:10 PM

I think Beliathon believes 'property' is an invalid concept. I wonder if he or she will be contributing to this thread?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:22:50 PM

Smiley

LET'S DO THIS! LOL  Grin  >>> STORM THE CASTLE!!! WEEEEEE

You really cannot use robin-hood economics to justify breaking the law. The court system does not accept this and although it may be an unpopular decision, you would be found guilty if caught

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:30:13 PM

Stealing anything is illegal..  Cool But is it punishable by law? Then its a big NO for you.
Illegal is unlawful. For something to be illegal it has to be specified in written law. Most countries don't have a policy on bitcoin, so stealing it isn't illegal.

mrbear222

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:38:00 PM

For example, if I mislead someone into sending me a large amount of bitcoins (in the United States) would that be illegal?

If I did not force them to do anything, but they sent them anticipating me to send a product in return, but I never send it.

Would this be considered illegal considering no one would know whether the bitcoin address that received the bitcoins was my address?

It depends.
It would have to go to court:
The court would have to get the evidence. You shouldn't do it, that's all.
josephliton

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:16:17 PM

If you don't get caught, you deserve everything you steal. Wink

HugoTheSpider

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:24:49 PM

Stealing isn't always illegal, see cyprus bank haircut case.
Stealing bitcoins isn't always illegal, it's legal when it's based on a court order.
Stealing is just morally wrong because the term 'to steal' is used to describe 'bad manner'.
Vortex20000

Activity: 504

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 12:15:00 AM

No.

But the Bitcoin community will fuck you hard if you do.

fa

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:25:54 AM

Even in some places where btc is deemed as commodity not currency, it's still a crime to steal.
Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 12:28:11 AM

Yes it is. PS; You will also go to hell if u dont ask for forgiveness!  Kiss Kiss

nextblast

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:28:18 AM

Stealing in any circumstances is not legal. This risk of getting caught is not worth it.
BBmmBB

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:11:41 AM

Smiley

LET'S DO THIS! LOL  Grin  >>> STORM THE CASTLE!!! WEEEEEE
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/4/13/1271173556471/Robin-Hood-Errol-Flynn-002.jpg
You really cannot use robin-hood economics to justify breaking the law. The court system does not accept this and although it may be an unpopular decision, you would be found guilty if caught

~but i'm robin hood bitches !   Grin   lol
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:23:42 AM

This is one of the major factors which is driving away the average person from using Bitcoins. If Bitcoins can be stolen from places like Mt Gox and Sheep Marketplace, then they can be stolen from just anyone else, despite whatever precautions they take.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:26:21 PM

This is one of the major factors which is driving away the average person from using Bitcoins. If Bitcoins can be stolen from places like Mt Gox and Sheep Marketplace, then they can be stolen from just anyone else, despite whatever precautions they take.

If Bitcoins can be stolen from places like Mt Gox and Sheep Marketplace that didn't take all possible precautions ... that somehow means that no matter what precautions you take you can't keep them secure?

I'm not following that.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:19:45 PM

I think your question is " Can the fact that I stole bitcoins be proven?"
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:39:19 PM

Stealing anything is illegal..  Cool But is it punishable by law? Then its a big NO for you.
Illegal is unlawful. For something to be illegal it has to be specified in written law. Most countries don't have a policy on bitcoin, so stealing it isn't illegal.

Well, that statement just sucked 50 IQ points off everyone.

Most countries don't have a policy on tiddlywinks, either. However, stealing a kid's tiddlywinks is still theft. Punishable by law. As is stealing Bitcoins. Whether or not specifically addressed by proper name in the text of the law.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:57:06 PM

Well, that statement just sucked 50 IQ points off everyone.

Most countries don't have a policy on tiddlywinks, either. However, stealing a kid's tiddlywinks is still theft. Punishable by law. As is stealing Bitcoins. Whether or not specifically addressed by proper name in the text of the law.
No one will investigate the theft of Diablo 3 gold or WoW gold. In fact, even Blizzard support  will not do anything, not to mention the police. So yes, in most countries(which did not recognize  Bitcoin as currency or property), stealing bitcoins isn't illegal...
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 07:05:34 PM

No one will investigate the theft of Diablo 3 gold or WoW gold. In fact, even Blizzard support  will not do anything, not to mention the police. So yes, in most countries(which did not recognize  Bitcoin as currency or property), stealing bitcoins isn't illegal...

Theft of any tangible property is illegal. Period.

'Splain me why Trendon Shavers owes the feds several million dollars?

I've not read Blizzard's TOS. Never had a reason to. I rather imagine that they state that 'the user acknowledges that any 'theft' of in-game currency is not a theft of any property of the user'. Hell, the TOS may even state that all in-game assets are the property of Blizzard.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: