Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 02:57:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts/critics/appraisals on "The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin"?  (Read 2463 times)
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:35:03 PM

As the title states; feel free to discuss the movie below!

I am watching it right now so I will update this post with my thoughts/critics/appraisals!
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1604

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 10:13:09 PM

I've just seen it. Overall, nice to watch, somewhat educational (not about technical aspects but more about BTC history) and I would recommend it especially to new people.

Although I think that for people unfamiliar with bitcoin, it may build slightly negative picture of it. They first show sites/businesses such as silkroad, mt gox, bitinstant, tradehill and later all of them go down (with some of the owners facing jail). Someone not familiar with btc affairs could think that there are no serious bitcoin businesses left.

Throughout the movie they were showing USD price at that time, which ranged $0-$300. They only briefly mentioned that price exceeded $1000. Also, a bit shame they didn't really show the scale of adoption and acceptance, leaving impression that bitcoin never went outside the narrow circle of geek community.

That being said, I kind of appreciate they aimed rather for the honest documentary than pure bitcoin propaganda.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 10:22:25 PM

As the title states; feel free to discuss the movie below!

I am watching it right now so I will update this post with my thoughts/critics/appraisals!

Way outdated  , but still served its purpose.

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:32:24 PM

Just watched it. Smiley

I subscribe second poster words, it think the documentary is more appealing to bitcoiners for some nostalgia, I haven't been around so long but I've read all about what was being described when I first started with bitcoin.

chakra74

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:16:19 AM

I've been so hyped up about watching it for so long, I think I might of put my expectations too high.  The fact that I watched Andreas at the Canadian senate hearing just before watching it also made it seem less impressive after that stunning performance.

Overall it was still a good documentary, but like others have said here, it was almost like a history lesson at this point.
marcotheminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:15:25 AM

The link in my signature has been closed down unfortunately so I will be trying to find a new link (that can be streamed)
bithound

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:17:59 AM

I havent watched it yet.. But I will for sure.
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:37:19 PM

Some 'external' reviews:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/the-rise-and-rise-of-bitcoin :

Parents need to know that The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin explores the various ways that Bitcoin, a form of open-source digital currency, can be used. The movie covers topics like the potential advantages of Bitcoin and the currency's ability to grow within the global economy, as well as some of the controversy surrounding the role that Bitcoin plays in the Silk Road, often referred to as the Bitcoin black market.
Plenty of recognizable brands are mentioned during the documentary, like WordPress and Reddit (two of the first websites to accept Bitcoin as a form of payment), plus references to older forms of Internet technology like Netscape, Napster, and an early version of America Online. There are a few uses of "s--t," as well as scenes of people drinking and smoking in social settings. A drug dealer referred to as "Mr. Bitcoin" is shown with marijuana and using the Silk Road at an Internet cafe.

http://www.clevelandmovieblog.com/2014/10/the-rise-and-rise-of-bitcoin-opens-in.html :

All it takes for a form of currency to become legal tender is for enough people to accept it. Of course that's the trick, isn't it? San Francisco eccentric Emperor Joseph Norton managed to pull it off on a small scale in the 1800s, printing his own money that local merchants treated like actual cash, but in general the only money most people value is the kind that's tied to a nation or other governmental entity. Bitcoins, a virtual form of money designed to circumvent manipulation by any central authority, just might change all that.

THE RISE AND RISE OF BITCOIN sets out to explain just what a bitcoin is, how it came to be, and why it's important. In relating the short history of this new form of currency, the film, despite its title, doesn't shy away from some of the bumps in the road to bitcoins becoming a widely accepted form of cash. Considering that history includes such potentially alarming aspects as the inventor of bitcoin operating under a fictitious name before disappearing, early usage of the currency to trade in black market goods like illegal drugs, and several drastic ups and downs in value, bitcoins have done a pretty remarkable job of moving towards mainstream acceptance, even if not everyone is convinced.

Director Nicholas Mross was inspired by his brother David, an avid bitcoin supporter and early adopter, to make this film. David is also a writer and producer on the film. Given that, it's perhaps inevitable that THE RISE AND RISE OF BITCOIN feels a bit like cheerleading at times, even with showing some of the negatives in the history of bitcoin. Not enough to invalidate the film, though, and for anyone just wondering what the heck bitcoins are and why they should care, this is as good a place to start as any. 3 out of 4 stars.

http://film-forward.com/documentary/the-rise-and-rise-of-bitcoin :

Even after watching this documentary, I’m not sure I completely understand how this product works. As one interviewee states, you need to use Bitcoin before you can understand it completely. In what I’m sure is a poor and incomplete description, it is virtual currency and is both globalized and decentralized. It’s transferred from peer to peer, meaning there’s no Big Brother controlling transactions. It also means there are few rules, and the film describes it as a kind of Wild West of economics, though devotees are attempting to make it more accessible.

The film features Bitcoin enthusiast Daniel Mross (Nicholas Mross, his brother, is the director). The film suggests that Bitcoin is transforming the world’s banking system as it becomes more mainstream. While the film clearly sees that it’s quickly becoming the future of currency, Mross doesn’t shy away from some of its darker aspects. Finding a fair and capable trading engine has been a continual problem for Bitcoin, and the government is still wary of its legality. Likewise, the film spends some time on the black market of drugs and other illegal items that almost immediately arose after the start of Bitcoin, known as the Silk Road.

It’s a volatile currency, as the film depicts the wild highs and lows of its value, and portrayed as a mysterious form of money, a theme that the film might have pursued further. The transactions are anonymous for one thing, but its creator, Satoshi Nakamoto, is completely unknown. There is no evidence of that name in existence before Bitcoin, and he has since disappeared and no longer has any involvement. The mystery involving its creator puts its legitimacy into question, and while the filmmakers bring this up, a more in-depth exploration of Nakamoto’s true identity might have made for a more enthralling examination.

Mross, a family man from Pittsburgh, is a passionate though not a particularly compelling guide. As a computer “nerd” turned Bitcoin miner, his devotion and faith in the currency clearly drives this documentary in a certain direction. Despite highlighting some questions, it’s apparent the film is educating its viewers about how Bitcoin will positively change the future of currency, making it more free and fair to use. It’s worth noting that distributor, Gravitas Ventures, purchased the film in Bitcoins, which has never been done before.

It stills feels early to say just where this type of technology is headed, whether it’s a fad or the future. I did, however, just Google the exchange rate of Bitcoin. At the moment it’s 294.13 to the U.S. dollar. The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin is right about one thing: Bitcoin is worth taking seriously.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/5-documentaries-from-2014-tribeca-film-festival-to-watch-for/15625 :

If you're one of the hundreds of millions who still don't know exactly what bitcoin is, even if you've heard of it but don't know the details, this documentary by Nicholas Mross is a necessary introduction. What's great about the film is that it's not simply an informative look at the digital currency. Mross is there with miners, investors, traders, regulators, merchants and more involved with bitcoins from the beginning, having benefited by the fact that his brother was one of those on board early. And unlike a lot of docs of this sort, this one has really defined narratives for most of its characters. It's not necessarily an open and closed story, as bitcoin isn't dead, but it's pretty close. Imagine if someone had been there making a documentary on Tim Berners-Lee before the world became familiar with the World Wide Web or on Mark Zuckerberg when he was first developing Facebook. Thanks to Mross' film, which will prove to be a really valuable historical artifact one day, we'll never need the bitcoin version of The Social Network.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
██████▀███▄▄████████████
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:15:36 PM

I have liked it so much,and it has been filmed in a long timeframe which helps to see it more real.
Moreover, I think it can help to spread bitcoin among people who don't know it
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:25:05 PM

It has been nice to know the long history of bitcoin from inside
however, that is my view as a bitcoin fan,but I don't know how someone who doesn't know bitcoin will see it
I am spreading to my circle to see what they think
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:07:01 PM

It was an interesting look back at Bitcoin from a devoted fan. Mross clearly loves Bitcoin and walked the audience through the life of the loyal supporter. He followed many of the major issues that happened in the first couple of years. I was shocked by the fact that Charlie Shrem, throughout the movie and long before he was ever officially in trouble, kept saying over and over that he needs to be compliant and he doesn't want to go to jail. When my kids keep worrying about something like that it usually means they know they've done something wrong and they're afraid. That was the only new info in the movie for me. I think the movie presented Bitcoin in an honest light. It wasn't just a fanboy movie but really followed the ecosystem, both good and bad. If I could change anything I probably would have presented more of Roger Ver's story considering he was the first big money believer and spent more time on BitPay and business adoption.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:21:21 PM

The link in my signature has been closed down unfortunately so I will be trying to find a new link (that can be streamed)

Careful to close or exit out of any popups and make sure you don't click on any exterior links, just the play button on the video player:

http://www.putlocker.tw/watch-the-rise-and-rise-of-bitcoin-online-free-putlocker-2014.html

In the middle of watching this now, will comment soon after.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:50:45 PM

Thought overall it was a fair generalization and documentary piece of the technology and the people behind it.

Clear focus of the movie was Charlie Shrem it seems, as there was a lot of his backstory with Bitinstant and the eventual money laundering charge and subsequent house arrest.

Most of the major players make at least a brief appearance, are interviewed, or mentioned: Winklevii, Gavin Andresen, Erik Vorhees, Roger Ver, Mark Karpeles, Charlie Shrem, Ross Ulbricht, Fred Wilson, Yifu Guo, etc.

Even Satoshi Nakamoto makes an appearance.  Well Dorian Nakamoto!  The documentary leans towards the Newsweek reveal as debunked though.

Highlight of the movie for me personally was "Mr Bitcoin" around the 53:00 mark.  "Mister Bitcoin.  I'm running with it.  I like the name, Na mean!  I'm not gonna lie, I get booty off this!"

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 08:33:11 PM

To all of those who watched the 'free' versions of the movie. Please consider donating to reward the film makers for their effort:

Film makers donation address:

19xb2pAzyv7feFkBhbh3n3rtBJ9JPTufm

https://blockchain.info/address/19xb2pAzyv7feFkBhbh3n3rtBJ9JPTufm

source:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2it0ot/the_rise_and_rise_of_bitcoin_donation_address_is/

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
██████▀███▄▄████████████
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:02:58 AM

Looking good.

btckold24

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:11:12 AM

watched it with my girlfriend who before thought bitcoin was a waste of time. Now shes actually going on faucet sites and trying to build up a little herself.  I definitely recommend having your significant other watch it so they understand what your doing with loud machines running in your office / house.

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 06:52:56 AM

Watched it with my 74 year old mother. I liked it but thought it ended rather abruptly but I guess that had to do with them just trying to wrap it up and get it out the door.
She knows a little bit about Bitcoin but she said that afterwards she still doesn't think she knows any more about it than before she watched it. She kept asking how the companies in the movie were making money and I think the coverage of Silk Road and the drug dealer made her uneasy, she said afterwards that the movie made bitcoin sound kinda scary (being older and being in that mindset of believing the banks and drug war and all that).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:57:56 PM

Watched it with my 74 year old mother. I liked it but thought it ended rather abruptly but I guess that had to do with them just trying to wrap it up and get it out the door.
She knows a little bit about Bitcoin but she said that afterwards she still doesn't think she knows any more about it than before she watched it. She kept asking how the companies in the movie were making money and I think the coverage of Silk Road and the drug dealer made her uneasy, she said afterwards that the movie made bitcoin sound kinda scary (being older and being in that mindset of believing the banks and drug war and all that).

I have seen it two times, the second time was with people that never used/owned a single satoshi.

After seeing the Silkroad part they had something like.. Yeah! See.... Bitcoin is being used for criminal activities.

There is not much trust, if you ask non geekie people if they can see themself using Bitcoin, most of the time they will answer no.

They connect it with criminality, it's hard to get them to think in a different way. Especially when the media here only highlights bitcoin blackmarkets.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 02:39:20 PM

I have to agree with you. I watched it for the second time with a couple of friends because I thought the movie showed a nice normal guy with a wife and kids loving Bitcoin. The part they focused on was the drug dealer. After the movie they said they didn't see a reason to use it because the things they do with money they can do right now. One of them said that if he was a drug user he would definitely use it. I gave up the appropriate defenses to that comment but that didn't work. Knowing they would never use Bitcoin, I just turned it into a joke asking them if they like booty. Don't you like booty? If you use Bitcoin it will definitely get you booty.

ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 03:14:09 PM

I have to agree with you. I watched it for the second time with a couple of friends because I thought the movie showed a nice normal guy with a wife and kids loving Bitcoin. The part they focused on was the drug dealer. After the movie they said they didn't see a reason to use it because the things they do with money they can do right now. One of them said that if he was a drug user he would definitely use it. I gave up the appropriate defenses to that comment but that didn't work. Knowing they would never use Bitcoin, I just turned it into a joke asking them if they like booty. Don't you like booty? If you use Bitcoin it will definitely get you booty.

LOL I wonder if "Mister Bitcoin" trademarked his name by any chance.

With an easy to remember name like that, you'd think the DEA would be up his ass by now.   Cheesy

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄