Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:28:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which BTC wallet choose from security point of view  (Read 2162 times)
HeroCat (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:52:29 PM

How do you think - which BTC wallet is safe against trojans,worms e.t.c. in long term perspective
gragas

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

I`d choose the 1st wallet that created the network.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:34:13 PM

How do you think - which BTC wallet is safe against trojans,worms e.t.c. in long term perspective
None, security is up to YOU, not wallet software. All securities can be broken, your brain is best security out there, just use it, learn learn learn.
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:35:42 PM

Bet security would be a paper wallet.
torusJKL

Activity: 619

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:44:21 PM

There are wallets where you can have an offline wallet for signing and an online wallet to send the transaction.
You would need to create that offline machine, install the client and then never connect any USB Stick, harddrive or the internet again. Ever!

Clients that support this are e.g. Electrum and Armory.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:29:51 AM

Nothing is protect you against worms, trojans & keyloggers you just need a good AV in this case.
But you can look at the hardware wallets like trezor or make some paper wallets.

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:43:27 AM

Just encrypt your wallet for security.
Online wallet has the least security.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
PistolPete

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:02:38 AM

Armory

Used correctly you will be perfectly safe and secure
Loophole

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:17:30 AM

Definitely an offline wallet if you want to be safe from hacking and malware.
It is in fact not hard to set it up right. Just follow the instructions in https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/

HeroCat (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:34:54 AM

There are wallets where you can have an offline wallet for signing and an online wallet to send the transaction.
You would need to create that offline machine, install the client and then never connect any USB Stick, harddrive or the internet again. Ever!

Then you need always two computers !!! Huh
HeroCat (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:38:47 AM

Then you need always two computers !!!  Huh
Loophole

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:05:33 AM

Yup.
Or you could use a paper wallet which is basically just a paper with your private keys printed on it. You can disconnect the internet connection of your computer and easily create one with bitaddress.

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:08:51 AM

Paper wallets are the most safe because they are not connected to the internet. With any device connected to the internet the security depends on the security of the device.
To prevent trojans, worms etc you need to secure your operating system.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
HeroCat (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:14:23 AM

Paper wallets are the most safe because they are not connected to the internet. With any device connected to the internet the security depends on the security of the device.
To prevent trojans, worms etc you need to secure your operating system.
Operating system preventing is not always possible. There are so many trojans,worms e.t.c. !!!
fast2fix
Legendary

Activity: 1612
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:49:14 AM

signup for an online wallet like blockchain.info and protect it with 2fa and you're set.
torusJKL

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 07:13:39 PM

Yes but it could be a very cheap computer like a RaspberryPi for USD 35.

Yup.
Or you could use a paper wallet which is basically just a paper with your private keys printed on it. You can disconnect the internet connection of your computer and easily create one with bitaddress.

If you do that you should use a LiveCD (not USB but CD) (like Ubuntu) and after you have generated the private key do not connect to the internet but shut the LiveCD down first.
And if you want to be on the very safe side you would disconnect your local harddrives before creating the private key.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
cma3

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 07:20:05 PM

OP: I think you answered your own if your concern are worms and trojans... then a wallet that is not on your computer would be the safest, no?

As stated above:
Go the paper route -- with a copy in a fireproof safe and another in a safety deposit box.

For me, being a small fish --- im good with 2FA for now.

torusJKL

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:00:10 PM

Small now. But your bitcoins could be worth allot in the future.
I was scammed once and I said to myself who cares, I didn't loose much. But with today's exchange rate I wish I would not have fallen for the scammer at the time.

cma3

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:29:13 AM

Small now. But your bitcoins could be worth allot in the future.
I was scammed once and I said to myself who cares, I didn't loose much. But with today's exchange rate I wish I would not have fallen for the scammer at the time.

Agreed. I am not solely relying on 2FA moving forward. I also use multiple accounts -- not all public facing and offline, of course.
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:26:24 AM

Every wallet has security in some way, some more some less, but the most of it depends on you. I like blockchains, started with it and still using it.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████