Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting ways to store your private keys for offline wallets  (Read 2828 times)
g27wr (OP)

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

I like guns.

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:03:52 PM

I have seen a thread (that I cannot find now) that had a slew of interesting ideas of how people were storing their private keys for offline wallets. From engraving into metal to tattoos.

Now that some time has passed and people have surly come up with other methods, I'd love to hear some of them. I am currently trying to find the best way(s) to store a few private keys of my own. I'd like to be cautious, because if the perfect storm happens, I don't want to lose all of my bitcoins. By this, I mean simply throwing it on a piece of paper and putting it in a safe deposit box, and then another in my home isn't going to cut it. What if the bank gets robbed and my home safe is stolen? Likely not to happen, I know, but I still want a better way to store them.

Any ideas? The more nerdy the better  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:12:15 PM

How about encrypted paper wallets?
g27wr (OP)

I like guns.

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 08:45:56 PM

I like the idea, but was thinking more of ways to store the private key as-is, even if it's possibly broken up into different locations.

I don't know. Just rambling.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 04:24:07 AM

I like the idea, but was thinking more of ways to store the private key as-is, even if it's possibly broken up into different locations.

I don't know. Just rambling.

cut your paper wallets in half?

bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 04:32:18 AM

Tattoo the private keys in my butt chic. Tongue Tongue Grin Grin

ofortuna

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:52:13 AM

But what if all the mirrors get stolen?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████BREAKOUT STAKEWEBSITEMULTICURRENCY SMART CONTRACTS + SIDECHAINS ANN ★  COINSALE July 10 – July 24  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

BIP38 encrypted and shared with Shamir Secret Sharing technique in as many parts as you please and pick your number for recovery. After that it's just a matter of mitigating risk, think your house will burn down? Engrave some of the shares in metal. Think your USB stick will fail? Use several from different manufacturers. Etc.

Distribute the shares in different physical locations and be imaginative.

At the same time think about how your heirs can get to your keys, in case you get hit by a bus.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:22:45 AM

I have seen a thread (that I cannot find now) that had a slew of interesting ideas of how people were storing their private keys for offline wallets. From engraving into metal to tattoos.

Now that some time has passed and people have surly come up with other methods, I'd love to hear some of them. I am currently trying to find the best way(s) to store a few private keys of my own. I'd like to be cautious, because if the perfect storm happens, I don't want to lose all of my bitcoins. By this, I mean simply throwing it on a piece of paper and putting it in a safe deposit box, and then another in my home isn't going to cut it. What if the bank gets robbed and my home safe is stolen? Likely not to happen, I know, but I still want a better way to store them.

check this strange method   Grin : http://soundwallet.net/
GreenCoin22

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:03:05 PM

it's dangous not interesting
g27wr (OP)

I like guns.

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:35:50 PM

check this strange method   Grin : http://soundwallet.net/

I'm not sure that I like the sound of step #4  Grin Grin

TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Make a small hole in a titanium screw, either ingrave the privkey inside that cavity, or insert something durable with the privkey engraved on it within the cavity. Seal it. Now, go and break your arm, insert a few screws to fix it. The screw with the privkey goes along with the other screw. If somebody ever asks, just say you were in a horrible ice skating accident when you tried to qualify for the nationals. Privkey secured. Retrieval might be another matter, but you're in this for the long term, no?
santaClause

Activity: 183

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:31:35 PM

Make a small hole in a titanium screw, either ingrave the privkey inside that cavity, or insert something durable with the privkey engraved on it within the cavity. Seal it. Now, go and break your arm, insert a few screws to fix it. The screw with the privkey goes along with the other screw. If somebody ever asks, just say you were in a horrible ice skating accident when you tried to qualify for the nationals. Privkey secured. Retrieval might be another matter, but you're in this for the long term, no?
This is a bad idea. Not only should you not hurt yourself to keep your money safe, but you would also need to further hurt yourself to be able to spend your money. In order for cold storage to be effective it not only needs to be safe from attackers but also allow you to be able to spend your money with semi ease.

You would also risk that the doctor would put in the incorrect screw in your arm (you would not be able to put them in yourself)
evok3d

Activity: 534

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:35:06 PM

lol

That seems a bit extreme. You can just dig a hole and hide it somewhere or within a tree cavity or something. Never the less, i like the style Cheesy +1

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:35:44 PM

Bad idea. Body scanner at the airport would be able to see your pkey.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:47:21 PM

http://aeternum.in/products/keyvault-gemini

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:46:06 PM

Bad idea. Body scanner at the airport would be able to see your pkey.
Those scanners are not able to see that level of detail.

It would still be a bad idea because you would be unable to access your funds without hurting yourself.....again

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
chubbabuuba

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:48:38 PM

Silverwallets.com are so cewl!
josephliton

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:13:40 PM

But what if all the mirrors get stolen?

There's no need to worry – I'm here to answer your question! ...  I got three words for all of y'all: Get a life!  Grin Wink

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 06:00:31 AM

one word: Steganography.  Grin

bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com