Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:12:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The financial markets are starting to crash, abandon the fiat titanic  (Read 7735 times)
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 03:05:42 PM

Looking forward to seeing how bitcoin market does on a stock market crash.

The debt ceiling drama is coming this March, after they postponed it last year. So there should be some good ingredients for a nice panic stew.

Lol, why wait?  Enjoy the hysteria in the Bitcoin market nao Smiley

The debt ceiling drama is coming this March, after they postponed it last year. So there should be some good ingredients for a nice panic stew.

I want to believe that money will flood into Bitcoin but I suspect it'll be a small bump from people who are already Bitcoin bulls.

People who haven't heard of Bitcoin nor understand it won't rush from what they believe to be a low-risk, low-volatility holding to a high risk, high volatility instrument.

Maybe if COIN gets approved, some people who would otherwise be exiting the market may use bitcoin as a hedge
Robert Paulson (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:11:27 PM

I want to believe that money will flood into Bitcoin but I suspect it'll be a small bump from people who are already Bitcoin bulls.

People who haven't heard of Bitcoin nor understand it won't rush from what they believe to be a low-risk, low-volatility holding to a high risk, high volatility instrument.

when the prices in the grocery shop double every month there will not be much choice, its either the inconvenience of storing gold at home, or the convenience of remembering a 12 words electrum seed.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:13:25 PM

^
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:24:30 PM

it couldn't happen here right?

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/BASE

just keep on walking with the rest of the sheep to your financial slaughtering.

NotLambchop

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:27:50 PM

Robert Paulson, straying from the heard doesn't make you a lion.
You're still a sheep, albeit a maladjusted one.  With a substantially lower life expectancy Undecided
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:28:26 PM

There are a lot of pretty graphs on this thread but can anyone say if this bubble will crash in the next minute or the next decade?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:31:44 PM

There are a lot of pretty graphs on this thread but can anyone say if this bubble will crash in the next minute or the next decade?

it will crash before the end of 2015.
the fed actually believes it can stop QE this month and increase rates in the first half of 2015, otherwise there would be no taper to begin with.
the reason the markets are starting to meltdown is because no one wants to be left holding the bag on stocks when the rates go up, which is why everyone are starting to rush towards the exits right now in an attempt to be the first out.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:34:14 PM

You're still a sheep, albeit a maladjusted one.  With a substantially lower life expectancy Undecided

you are dead wrong.
if you exit paper assets right now and buy into gold/bitcoin when all the other fools still believe the papers are going to make it you are the father of all lions.
nuff

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:35:16 PM

You sir are a nutcase

Says the man with a post count of 3.

Post count is no indicator of the value of an opinion.

If you really believe so then my opinion is two and a half times more valid than yours.

No, post count doesn't indicate value but it does make one think that perhaps one just created a new account just to troll for fun. Experience, and how early you know about bitcoin and the foremost 'go to' bitcoin forum can show whether one should be taken seriously or one should be ignored for sake of trolling. A forumer with 1000 post count has been around far more than a forumer with 1 post count and that itself is already value in terms of commitment and contribution to the forum, whether right or wrong.
NotLambchop

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:41:57 PM

you are dead wrong.
if you exit paper assets right now and buy into gold/bitcoin when all the other fools still believe the papers are going to make it you are the father of all lions.

I trade Bitcoin, Robert.  I don't touch gold.
You are a wayward sheep, not a lion.  Now get back to the heard before you get run over by some passing 18-wheeler.
And thank your lucky stars that our Beneficent Reptilian Overlords like lamb chops Smiley
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:48:09 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 04:01:52 PM by MatTheCat

Bitcoin is not money nor a store of value.

Even if Bitcoin goes to $10'000, it will only ever be a means of making payment (in fiat currencies).

If the markets collapse then Bitcoin goes down with it. It's that simple.

You are a wayward sheep, not a lion.  Now get back to the heard before you get run over by some passing 18-wheeler.
And thank your lucky stars that our Beneficent Reptilian Overlords like lamb chops Smiley

Robert Paulson is indeed a fucking halfwit. Regurgitating the 'Crusoe' Austrian economics that many Bitcoiners inherited from the precious metals retail snake oil salesmen circa 2011.

However......I have a sneaky feeling about gold. I don't mean tomorrow, next week, or even next year. But going right out into the future, when the music stops once again on the global economy and the governments of the world are found to be insolvent as a result of the 'bail out bubble', then we might see a major shift in the global monetary reality back over to real tangible wealth.

Bitcoin is not tangible wealth. Bitcoin is less tangible wealth than any fiat currency which at least has the might of a sovereign power behind it.

Gold is tangible wealth. And there is probably a good reason why none of the world's central banks have the gold that they say they do.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Inedible

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:49:31 PM

Even if Bitcoin goes to $10'000, it will only ever be a means of making payment (in fiat currencies).

I don't see how that would necessarily be the case. Care to expand?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
oshnap

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:50:41 PM

Depending on the country you live in I would reconsider that. If not gold checkout silver, copper, or nearly anything that would have actual use in production. There are a lot of "what if" situations where all-in bag holding of bitcoin could seriously leave you in a bad spot but far fewer of those potential situations when talking about precious or industrial metals.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:57:09 PM

blah blah blah

I don't see how that would necessarily be the case. Care to expand?

Please don't quote the trolls.
NotLambchop

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

Depending on the country you live in I would reconsider that. If not gold checkout silver, copper, or nearly anything that would have actual use in production. There are a lot of "what if" situations where all-in bag holding of bitcoin could seriously leave you in a bad spot but far fewer of those potential situations when talking about precious or industrial metals.

I trade Bitcoin, I don't hoard it.  Sure, gold has intrinsic value, but that's an insignificant fraction of its price.
I don't follow the gold market.  Just not my thing.
nuff

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:59:51 PM

Wrong. Bitcoin is or can be money (it's fungible, transactable, and has a value). But to me Bitcoin is more an asset, a store of value, rather than a currency. Bitcoin is entire independent, if bitcoin were to be affected by external markets that's only because the people thought it to be. But by its very nature, Bitcoin is absolutely independent and decentralized.
NotLambchop

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:03:19 PM

Damn it. I'm doing it wrong again because that's how I've been using it for the past several years.

I always screw this stuff up...

Then you probably think that your CC is money too.
MatTheCat

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:06:02 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 04:18:34 PM by MatTheCat

Wrong. Bitcoin is or can be money (it's fungible, transactable, and has a value). But to me Bitcoin is more an asset, a store of value, rather than a currency. Bitcoin is entire independent, if bitcoin were to be affected by external markets that's only because the people thought it to be. But by its very nature, Bitcoin is absolutely independent and decentralized.

It could be money. But it isn't and it never will be.

If it is to succeed, it will be as a means of making money transfers or payments, but with the units of account that everyone is primarily concerned with being, Dollars, Euros, Pounds, Shekels, Yen, etc.

The most important ingredient behind any monetary standard is the authority that stands behind it and enforces it's use as money and that is because the #1 property of 'money', is that people have confidence in it. This even applies to the use of precious metals as money throughout history. Gold and silver coin also required some sovereign power somewhere, who was willing to recognise the metal tokens as being of value, or at least for a small fee, who was willing to the melt the metal coins and remint them into a form which was recognised as having value. This will never apply to Bitcoin.

What we might get is some kind of asset backed digital currency based around crypto technology, with all the pernicious aspect's of the Bitcoin block chain built into it. One wallet per global citizen. All economic transactions fully traceable.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Inedible

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

it will crash before the end of 2015.
the fed actually believes it can stop QE this month and increase rates in the first half of 2015, otherwise there would be no taper to begin with.
the reason the markets are starting to meltdown is because no one wants to be left holding the bag on stocks when the rates go up, which is why everyone are starting to rush towards the exits right now in an attempt to be the first out.

I've noticed the markets falling over the end of the last week but didn't think much of it. If you're right, there should be a continual sell-off over the coming weeks.

MatTheCat

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:25:46 PM

I've noticed the markets falling over the end of the last week but didn't think much of it. If you're right, there should be a continual sell-off over the coming weeks.

This has already been done but.......

Here is your crashing market:

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: