October 13, 2014, 01:36:03 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2022, 12:26:21 AM by howelzy

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:45:47 AM

exchanges play with SQL database values and mess with prices using small amounts. i personally do not care about what prices exchange use.

yet, places like local bitcoins which are true bank transfer for real bitcoins are a better judge of value as they cannot be manipulated via day trading.

although i do still find alot of localbitcoin traders sheep following exchange prices rather than being what they should be (trend setters, not sheep followers)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BitcoinBettor

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:49:45 AM

A truly market based system is the best estimation of the value of a commodity.
There is something to be said for the current value of Bitcoin to not fall in line with standard exchanges like Bitstamp or Bitfinex because of the underground nature of Bitcoin.
Case in point, I've been involved with Bitcoin for a couple of years now and have been trading primarily through LocalBitcoins.com during this time (comps.biz).
This is the first time in the past 2 years that I have NOT been able to buy from sellers locally and have raised my sell price from my normal 3% markup to 30%, so clearly, "the street" is valuing Bitcoin much higher than the exchanges.
I'm no speculator and have been long Bitcoin from the jump, but the price is definitely going to be going up precisely because of this lack in parity between the exchanges and the street.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:13:45 AM

exchanges play with SQL database values and mess with prices using small amounts

Exactly... i imagine this happens in all order book 'markets', in order to 'control' price. Therefor exchange prices are not a true 'free market' valuation would you agree?

also the AML/KYC regs are killing off large spenders from depositing/withdrawing large fiat amounts. yea theres an occassional whale that day trades bitcoins and then withdraws bitcoins on exchanges, but the bank account movements are small. and thus another reason i do not trust exchanges as being a viable valuation for 13.3million coins.. when infact its mainly dust amounts being stirred around the pot multiple times.

i cant wait for the winklevoss ETF and proper ETF exchanges to open where their bank balances and bitcoin holdings need to show transparency and have the ability of moving 10,000 coins+ (millions in fiat) as then we will have a better indicator.

so far these sql database exchanges are truly undervaluing bitcoin. in china their minimum wage is 16 yuan which is over 150 hours of labour per bitcoin. yet the western world exchanges based in dollars have 1bitcoin at only 50 hours labour max..

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BitcoinBettor

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 02:23:51 AM

The Winklevii ETF will be a game changer, but I'm guessing the market will go 10-20X higher pre-announcement.
paulsonnumismatics

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Honni Soit Qui Mal i Pense

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:36:05 AM

The Winklevii ETF will be a game changer, but I'm guessing the market will go 10-20X higher pre-announcement.

That news is the most discounted news ever, if any. I dont expect a price discovery like the past one. However, back to the topic, i'd say that given current difficulty and miners problem to get with some satoshis, i will value BTC today between $700 and $800.

This space is for lease, apparently.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:03:56 AM

I would put fair value at between 500 and 600usd. Some upside here but not much.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:31:56 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2014, 04:17:38 AM by Beliathon

1 BTC valued in what? If you want my valuation of bitcoin measured in fiat currency...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:56:16 AM

8 having a sleep?, heres my valuation of october-november

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:20:08 AM

Ok, I would sell two of my bitcoins for $2000 each. I would sell the rest at $10,000 each. So for me, a Bitcoin is not worth $600. No way I would sell one of my bitcoin for $600.

For me, the value of bitcoin is what it is worth selling for. Purely personal, but yeah.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:21:42 AM

If we treat Bitcoin purely as a form of currency, and not as a form of investment, then its value might be much lower than the current exchange rate ($370-390). But as of now, somewhere around 80% of the coins are held by long-term investors.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:26:30 AM

I currently value 1 BTC at the market price of 400
That said I want a higher price closer to 2000 ideally myself

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:36:44 AM

I don't particularly like the question because it's sort of irrelevant.

When I say "sort of irrelevant," I don't mean that individual opinion doesn't matter, but this is an auction market in which trading occurs across vastly different mediums.  In this thread we've already seen personal valuations at ~200% current market rate, but this means nothing.  The posters don't even believe in their personal valuations because nobody's partaking in the 50% off sale going on all day every day.  There's money up for grabs at half-off and nobody's buying.

I just don't think it's the best interpretation to visualize the market as requiring some Universal price anchor or pricing mechanism, but rather value will be determined by localized factors as it has been.  For example, certain factors make valuation on Bitstamp different from BTC-e, and certain factors also affect valuation of BTC traded on the chain vs. off the chain.  The price of BTC on BTC-e is always lower because it's simply near impossible to directly fund your account with fiat.  The price on Local Bitcoins is simply misleading because the spreads are ridiculous and the depth isn't there.   The prices asserted in this thread are, at best, hearsay because nobody is trading at these prices.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:37:51 AM

I value mine at a million $ each.

Just waiting for the market to catch up
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:39:10 AM

I value mine at a million $ each.

Just waiting for the market to catch up

If you don't value others' the same, then that implies you don't believe bitcoins are fungible.

Edit:  I know you were joking.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:02:32 AM

In this thread we've already seen personal valuations at ~200% current market rate, but this means nothing.  The posters don't even believe in their personal valuations because nobody's partaking in the 50% off sale going on all day every day.
I can't speak for anyone else, but every spare dollar I have buys me more BTC. I've been loving these 300 days.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 05:14:13 AM

its a somewhat meaningless question without more context provided.

Why wouldnt I value it "currently" at the market price?

Or are you asking my personal opinion of what I think
it SHOULD be worth?

My own personal little ego thinks Bitcoin SHOULD be
a trillion dollar market, making a Bitcoin 100 times
more valuable than the market price.

In reality, I think it may take a decade to get there.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:51:36 AM

In this thread we've already seen personal valuations at ~200% current market rate, but this means nothing.  The posters don't even believe in their personal valuations because nobody's partaking in the 50% off sale going on all day every day.
I can't speak for anyone else, but every spare dollar I have buys me more BTC. I've been loving these 300 days.

Good to know  Cheesy  My unspoken position is also letting me enjoy these prices.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 10:51:27 AM

Struggling, but establishing it's profile. Making it's stand. Too many BTC is waiting in the wallet. Need more BTC in the market.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:37:12 PM

I currently value 1 BTC at the market price of 400

knew there would be one...  Grin

but seriously guys i need some figures if you don't mind

$100,000.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All