Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:00:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox market share vs time graph?  (Read 2766 times)
sethsethseth (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:39:09 PM

I am aware of this pie chart on bitcoincharts, but I would like to see it plotted over time.  Does this exist anywhere?

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:52:03 PM

I am aware of this pie chart on bitcoincharts, but I would like to see it plotted over time.  Does this exist anywhere?

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

I was almost motivated to do something along those lines.  But I couldn't come up with a reason for doing it, .... as in, yes -- TradeHill had days when they were 20% of the market.  But what benefit is there in knowing that information?

Anyways, here's how the data can be collected:
 - http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/chart.json?m=mtgoxUSD&i=Daily&c=1&s=2010-07-14&e=2012-05-06

And here a compilation of the various symbols:

Current, active:
-------------------------------
bcEUR
bitfloorUSD
bitmarketEUR
bitmarketPLN
bitmarketUSD
bitnzNZD
bitstampUSD
btc24EUR
btcdeEUR
btceUSD
btcexUSD
btcnCNY
btctreeUSD
cbxUSD
cryptoxAUD
cryptoxUSD
icbitUSD
imcexEUR
imcexUSD
intrsngEUR
intrsngGBP
intrsngPLN
intrsngUSD
kptnSEK
mrcdBRL
mtgoxAUD
mtgoxCAD
mtgoxCHF
mtgoxCNY
mtgoxDKK
mtgoxEUR
mtgoxGBP
mtgoxHKD
mtgoxJPY
mtgoxNZD
mtgoxPLN
mtgoxRUB
mtgoxSEK
mtgoxSGD
mtgoxTHB
mtgoxUSD
rockEUR
rockSLL
rockUSD
vcxEUR
vcxUSD
virtexCAD
virwoxSLL

No longer used
---------------------------------------
b2cUSD
b7EUR
b7USD
bbmBRL
bcmBMUSD
bcmLRUSD
bcmMBUSD
bcmPPUSD
bcmPXGAU
bitchangePLN
bitmarketAUD
bitmarketGBP
bitmarketRUB
bitomatPLN
britcoinGBP
btcexEUR
btcexJPY
btcexRUB
btcexWMZ
btcexYAD
exchbUSD
freshPLN
globalEUR
globalGBP
globalPLN
globalUSD
ruxumAUD
ruxumCHF
ruxumEUR
ruxumGBP
ruxumHKD
ruxumHUF
ruxumJPY
ruxumPLN
ruxumRUB
ruxumSEK
ruxumSGD
ruxumTHB
ruxumUAH
ruxumUSD
ruxumZAR
thAUD
thCLP
thEUR
thINR
thLRUSD
thUSD
wbxAUD

I don't know that all the data is reliable.  For instance, there were concerns that some exchanges were feeding bogus volume, possibly to make it seem like greater liquidity was available.  So keep that in mind.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

sethsethseth (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:13:26 PM

I wanted to get a feel for the rate of decline in MtGox market share.  A graph might allow us to extrapolate something about the near future.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
sethsethseth (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:21:36 PM

This would be even more interesting now that BTCChina + btc-e total more than mtgox volume

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:32:50 PM

A (very old) chart detailing USD trade volume over time:

It would be trivial to update this chart, but also probably time-consuming. If there is enough demand for it, I'll see what I can do.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:19:17 AM

It would be trivial to update this chart, but also probably time-consuming. If there is enough demand for it, I'll see what I can do.

I wouldn't mind seeing an update to this chart. Maybe with a break in the Y axis so it starts from 30%... or even 50%. It loses a lot of meaning when all you see is the yellow from all that goxxing.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
genuise

Activity: 379

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 09:46:36 AM

I think looking at this distribution only is not very practical.

More practical is to take a more general picture where you can see current orderbook volumes of different exchanges ploted also in time along with orderbook prices (preferably separated into bid and ask) also ploted in synch time. And of course traded volumes.

The only distribution chart cannot tell too much...

You can take a look at bitcoin-analytics.com if it allows you to answer your questions. Althought it shows only last 24 hours for all USD exchanges and also it has a composite orderbook for all USD exchanges combined.

hope this will help

sethsethseth (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:06:54 AM

This article just came out that has it

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/growing-decentralization-in-the-bitcoin-economy/

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 12:21:28 AM

That is a one nice chart.  Added bonus that is kinda looks like the McDonald's arches.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: