Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:00:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to crack encrypted BTC wallet if you lose password? more questions too!  (Read 2829 times)
virtfund (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:20:54 PM

Couple of questions I have.

Is it possible to crack an encrypted BTC wallet if you lose the password?

If it is, how difficult would it be?

Is it possible to know how much BTC is in an encrypted wallet.dat without decrypting it? If so, how?

Thanks!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:22:43 PM

No, you can't.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=791360.msg8937494#msg8937494

>>>>>>>>> AES 256 CBC

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:27:54 PM

It is easy to know what is balance in the encrypted wallet.dat. Just copy the wallet.dat to the bitcoin core blockchain file. After syn, you will see the balance. But I don't know the way of cracking it.
Nabilo

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:46:31 PM

it seems is that is possible using quantum computer.
 GOOGLE and the NASA can do it,  it seems they can because any.two of them has a copy of the first version of quantum computer made by D-Wave.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:48:29 PM

maybe Satoshi can do this.

sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:01:50 PM

Of couse you can crack the private key
If you have a lot of quantum computer (maybe you want rent NSA/Google quantum computer  Grin)
Or Quantum ASIC for decrypting it  Grin

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 04:04:07 PM

...or Chuck Norris.

yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:07:02 PM

It's possible to crack the password. If it's a simple one you could bruteforce it. There's even a guy on here who offers his services at getting your coins back if you've lost the password and has had success before.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 04:13:42 PM

Couple of questions I have.

Is it possible to crack an encrypted BTC wallet if you lose the password?

If its your password, there is a chance. See here [1] for more information and ignore the "quantum computer" trolls above.

If it is, how difficult would it be?

A bruteforce attack against a reasonable strong password is currently considered impossible. The question is whether your password is/was strong. If the password is "password123456" its long but not good. There are probably several books about what a good password is and what not. The usual tipps you see are from the 1980 AFAIK and were ment for military personel that had to remember a single password. Truly random passphrases (>5 random words) are probably easier to remember and as hard to crack even if the attacker knows its 5 words from a list of e.g. the 250,000 in the oxford dictionary.

Is it possible to know how much BTC is in an encrypted wallet.dat without decrypting it? If so, how?

Thanks!

As was allready answered, just backup/rename your wallet.dat, replace it with the one you want to check for balance and launch bitcoin core. It should automatically rescan.

-snip- D-Wave.

Dont spread FUD please.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2014/jun/20/is-d-wave-quantum-computer-actually-a-quantum-computer

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DahRookie

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:24:17 PM

If you have  any idea of what the password was I would talk to the guy (Dave) or guys of http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

Check the site if this is for you.

They ask for a fee of 20% of the value of the wallett and I have heard about nothing but great experiences with them.

Good luck
walletrecoveryservices

Activity: 89
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 08:23:51 PM

If you have  any idea of what the password was I would talk to the guy (Dave) or guys of http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

Check the site if this is for you.

They ask for a fee of 20% of the value of the wallett and I have heard about nothing but great experiences with them.

Good luck
Hi
Thanks for the plug, DahRookie Smiley
I am actively continuing to help people with recovering their wallet passwords when they forget them !
(e.g. today, see a happy customer review at https://darkcointalk.org/threads/walletrecoveryservices-com-100-recommended.2650/ )

To answer OPs questions:
No, you cannot break a 'strong' bitcoin-core wallet password unless you know something about the format or structure of the password to start with. The encryption used is strong by design.
On the other hand, it is easy to determine the balance of an encrypted wallet.

Cheer
Dave

Providing Cryptocurrency Wallet, Password and Seed Recovery Services since 2013
Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:33:09 PM

It will be easier every year.

tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 10:51:55 PM

Hell, no.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Prompyboo

Activity: 807
Merit: 251

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:46:59 PM

maybe Satoshi can do this.
yup maybe satoshi can

PotatoPie

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:29:57 PM

You can crack a wallet if you know most of the password or partial password. The crack rate is VERY low meaning that bruteforcing is totally out of the question and you're not going to get very many attempts / sec. I wouldn't trust any of these services, there are programs you can download that use your GPU to do it.

BTC Address: 13mUzcjYysbgNWstbasJ3PVkPB2nCUEqFg
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 09:32:11 PM

This is just fud and has been discussed to death. 

it seems is that is possible using quantum computer.
 GOOGLE and the NASA can do it,  it seems they can because any.two of them has a copy of the first version of quantum computer made by D-Wave.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 05:19:49 AM

It is possible to "crack" your encrypted password if you forget it. This is really only true if it is *your* password as you likely remember some part of it, or how many approximate digits the password is. This information would make it somewhat easier to brute force your password as the possibilities of what your password could be are much less.

There are a few services that can help you "Find" your password for you on here for a fee. I would only trust the ones that do not require you to send the entire wallet.dat file (but only the, I believe the header), and would not trust any third party site.

AFAIK it is not possible to determine the "balance" of your wallet.dat file without the password
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 09:53:37 PM

-snip-
AFAIK it is not possible to determine the "balance" of your wallet.dat file without the password

Just start bitcoin core. Its not asking you for a password, yet shows your balance. Some with any other wallet.dat. But it wont let you spend any of the coins without the proper password.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Nabilo

Activity: 628

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:50:28 AM

Of couse you can crack the private key
If you have a lot of quantum computer (maybe you want rent NSA/Google quantum computer  Grin)
Or Quantum ASIC for decrypting it  Grin

Maybe using quantum counting  (??)
Vortex20000

Activity: 504

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 05:11:39 AM

Is that Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: