Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo I have $100 stuck in my wallet  (Read 3246 times)
mookman209 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

I have a multibit wallet I created a few weeks ago and fat fingered the password after I transfered the bitcoin I found that out! I tried every password I could think of and then some..  Embarrassed I assume there is no getting it back?
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 10:30:15 PM

not without the password or an unencrypted backup

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 12:30:49 AM

I have a multibit wallet I created a few weeks ago and fat fingered the password after I transfered the bitcoin I found that out! I tried every password I could think of and then some..  Embarrassed I assume there is no getting it back?

That depends on how much you remember about the password... if it's long enough and you don't remember much or anything about it, there's pretty much no chance.

If you do remember a lot about the password, you can try to use a tool that will go through various combinations to recover it. One such option is btcrecover (I'm the dev of that tool, so naturally I'm biased), it's a free & open source password recovery tool you could try. You will need to do a bit of reading to get it set up and running though. The Tutorial and the Quick Start are here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

There are also people in the Services forum who offer assistance with password recovery, so you could check there too.

Good luck...
TonyT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:41:24 PM

That's the problem when they don't have a "show password" checkbox.  If you make the same mistake in typing the password twice, you're hosed.

TonyT
El Emperador

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:16:57 PM

My advice is always to copy and paste important passwords from a text file and then to encrypt this text file, copy it on a removable device ( external HDD, USB stick, etc. ) and lastly erase it from the HD.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
TonyT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:11:42 PM

My advice is always to copy and paste important passwords from a text file and then to encrypt this text file, copy it on a removable device ( external HDD, USB stick, etc. ) and lastly erase it from the HD.

That's exactly what I do: cut and paste never type.  Except I use an encrypted Excel file not a text file.  I once almost got into trouble when Microsoft used to encrypt Excel (over 10 years ago) with a certificate that resided in your hard drive, and then, when I took my Excel file to another PC far away, running the same version of Office, I could not open the file since the root certificate was different.  Luckily I was able to get a trusted friend to decrypt the Excel file on my original machine and send it to me.  Microsoft has since fixed this bug and apparently Excel's encryption is supposedly pretty good now, unlike the way it was over 10 years ago.

TonyT
Nextgen

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:18:01 PM

i think you can recover your password as long as you remember a part of this
i have seen a thread on this forum where a user was helping you to findout your forgotten password if you remember a part of it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: