Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:41:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Nodes  (Read 1231 times)
jaybits (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:30:27 AM

How accurate are the numbers on this website?

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/

p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:37:59 AM

bitnodes only shows the detectable bitcoin full nodes , so the number is the lower limit which means the real amount is far more bigger than that
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:43:27 AM

bitnodes only shows the detectable bitcoin full nodes , so the number is the lower limit which means the real amount is far more bigger than that

What do you mean detectable? The nodes that their node is connected to? Because if a node is somehow undetectable then it's of no use for the network...
disclosure

Activity: 38

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:46:34 AM

Bitnodes crawler finds only the reachable nodes in the network, i.e. nodes that accept incoming connections.
jaybits (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:47:23 AM

I should have made the topic Full Bitcoin Nodes.
jaybits (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:54:05 AM

Is there any current community driven efforts to increase the number of Full nodes?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 02:25:49 AM

Is there any current community driven efforts to increase the number of Full nodes?

there is one guy selling a service to add nodes to the network, but they are all IP addressed to his service (centralizing nodes), which is not what the community need or should be buying into.

id say anyone with other $1000 worth of btc should secure their stash by being a full node and not relying on third party light wallets. after all if light wallet businesses shut down their service, the software used to communicate transactions has nothing to talk to.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 07:29:52 AM

There are step by step guides for Ubuntu Servers [1], there is this person franky1 mentioned setting up a node for you for a monthly (at least thats what I remember) payment.

I personally however had the best experience with just doing it myself. Get a cheap VPS (>=2GB Ram and >=40GB HDD) and start. If you have questions just ask in the tech support section or if its not actually related to bitcoin ask in the board/irc channel/mailing list for the tool you need help with.

[1] e.g. http://charlieshrem.com/node/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 09:11:57 AM

I have been working on a project for a while.  Its getting pretty close, I can pm you details if you're interested.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 04:47:21 AM

there is one guy selling a service to add nodes to the network, but they are all IP addressed to his service (centralizing nodes), which is not what the community need or should be buying into.

id say anyone with other $1000 worth of btc should secure their stash by being a full node and not relying on third party light wallets. after all if light wallet businesses shut down their service, the software used to communicate transactions has nothing to talk to.
As long as you control the private keys to the addresses in the light wallets, someone could simply import their keys into a client that acts as a full node.

I think over the long term, most nodes will be somewhat more centralized and will be more costly to run as the blockchian gets larger and TX volume starts to pick up
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 05:38:22 AM

As long as you control the private keys to the addresses in the light wallets, someone could simply import their keys into a client that acts as a full node.

I think over the long term, most nodes will be somewhat more centralized and will be more costly to run as the blockchian gets larger and TX volume starts to pick up

yeah, but hopefully bandwidth can start scaling faster with Fiber internet. That is one of the biggest reaosns people don't run full nodes is because it uses alot of upload bandwidth.

I don't think people would mind running nodes if bandwidth wasn't such an issue.

Running a node on a VPS is okay, that's what I do now, but it's not organic.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

yeah, but hopefully bandwidth can start scaling faster with Fiber internet. That is one of the biggest reaosns people don't run full nodes is because it uses alot of upload bandwidth.

I don't think people would mind running nodes if bandwidth wasn't such an issue.

Running a node on a VPS is okay, that's what I do now, but it's not organic.
I run a Debian VPS with 2 processors, 2GB RAM, 40GB SSD, 4TB data transfer.  This costs $20/month.  Bandwidth hasn't been a problem but the 40GB SSD will become a problem as the blockchain continues to increase in size.

As far as setting up the node, that is pretty simple if you understand Unix/Linux commands.  The hardest part was setting up the firewall rules for IPv4 and IPv6 Smiley
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 08:27:23 PM

i run a full node. do your part  Wink

reannypleas

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:28:15 PM

What do you mean detectable? The nodes that their node is connected to? Because if a node is somehow undetectable then it's of no use for the network...

Many nodes can only connect to others because they have shared IP from the internet provider. These nodes are also usefull.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: