Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:43:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: overflow bug SERIOUS  (Read 63857 times)
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2010, 03:09:52 AM

The bad chain is also slowed down as more nodes upgrade.

We've already generated 14 blocks since 74638.  The builds of 0.3.10 were uploaded about 2 and 3 hours ago.  Of the nodes I'm connected to, more than half are already 0.3.10.  I would say we probably already have more power than the bad chain.

I think it'd probably be a good idea still to come out with another version that rejects connections from older versions - otherwise the network might remain rather fragmented for a while. :/
We want to keep the older clients connected so that when the correct chain overtakes the incorrect chain, they will switch back to the correct chain. Although I don't know the specifics of how far back in the chain the old chain will accept a branched chain.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2010, 03:57:39 AM
Merited by vapourminer (4)

The bad chain is also slowed down as more nodes upgrade.

We've already generated 14 blocks since 74638.  The builds of 0.3.10 were uploaded about 2 and 3 hours ago.  Of the nodes I'm connected to, more than half are already 0.3.10.  I would say we probably already have more power than the bad chain.

I think it'd probably be a good idea still to come out with another version that rejects connections from older versions - otherwise the network might remain rather fragmented for a while. :/
We want to keep the older clients connected so that when the correct chain overtakes the incorrect chain, they will switch back to the correct chain. Although I don't know the specifics of how far back in the chain the old chain will accept a branched chain.
The old clients should accept it all the way back to the last snapshot of release, so this being found so quickly and so long after the last release, it should work in theory. Here's a good test of the theory  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Ground Loop

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 05:07:50 AM

Question about fallout:  I had a transaction that I submitted after the bad block, using the bad block chain.

What is the status of that transaction?
From what I can tell, my (updated) sending client wallet shows the deducted amount.

Will it get reincorporated into the fixed chain, and will the recipient be able to spend it?
Right, it will get reincorporated into the fixed chain.  The transaction won't disappear, it'll still be visible on both sides, but the confirmation count will jump back to 0 and start counting up again.

It's only if you generated a block in the bad chain after block 74638 that the 50 BTC from that will disappear.  Any blocks in the bad chain wouldn't have matured yet.

Interesting.. fascinating to watch this work its way through the bowels of the system.
It was block 73746 that I generated.
    CTxOut(nValue=50.00000000, scriptPubKey=0x8DDD5C7DADB2D43AC5F186)
08/12/10 02:35 generated 50.00

And I sent 49.00 of it to 19Nzg21hQQDAY5GTdTTuUVPA4MaE7AusXz (using the broken chain)

Now I'm waiting for that node to figure out it was received, and it's using the new chain.

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq
satoshi
Founder
qt

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 12:59:38 PM

It looks like we overtook the bad chain somewhere around 74689.  0.3.9 and lower nodes have been responding with the current block number for some hours now.

That means it's no longer necessary to delete blk*.dat before upgrading.  You can just upgrade and it'll reorg away the bad block chain.

Thanks to everyone for the quick response!
throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 02:35:10 PM

Would it be useful to have RPC command to chop off the tail of the chain manually,
instead of removind and redownloading the whole chain?
laszlo

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 10:13:00 PM

So at this point, would a client that has not upgraded also have the correct chain?

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2010, 10:15:32 PM

So at this point, would a client that has not upgraded also have the correct chain?
Yes. The only exception would be if an unpatched client made another fake transaction and managed to verify it. They would be able to spread that fake block to a few other nodes that haven't upgraded, but the upgraded clients seem to have more power than the unpatched clients, so the bad link would not last long and would not be spread by upgraded clients.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
satoshi
Founder
qt

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 10:54:55 PM

Un-upgraded nodes have the correct chain most of the time, but they are still trying to include the overflow transaction in every block, so they're continually trying to fork and generate invalid blocks.  If an old version node is restarted, its transaction pool is emptied, so it may generate valid blocks for a while until the transaction gets broadcast again.  0.3.9 and lower nodes still must upgrade.

The SVN now has the code we needed to automatically reorg the block chain without having to delete the blk*.dat files manually.  I knew I couldn't write that code fast and carefully enough yesterday, so I went with the quick manual option.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: