Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:58:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice... (the LazyWhale algorithm)  (Read 24643 times)
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:54:36 AM

nice work, ty

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:45:21 AM

Will you posting your buy or sell signals here? I don't understand all those chart thingies, and its tempting to see Bitcoin at $1200, and then at $275, and wonder why couldn't I profit from it.

A thread which just tells me to buy or sell a few times a year is ideal for me.

mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:13:06 AM

Great post, This is exactly what I was looking for, although I started doing this very late... the only difference for my method is I take profits and only try to keep the initial investment (BTC term), for example if I invested $3000 @ $10 and sold all when the price went to $200 and bought back only 300BTC @ $90, basically the result would be the same like holding the 300 BTC and on top of it profits from selling high and buying low.

mid-term trades are the best Wink

BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 12:17:48 PM

Very interesting, thanks for sharing Smiley
Looking forward to see when the signal will shift
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 12:26:56 PM

Will you posting your buy or sell signals here? I don't understand all those chart thingies, and its tempting to see Bitcoin at $1200, and then at $275, and wonder why couldn't I profit from it.

A thread which just tells me to buy or sell a few times a year is ideal for me.

Yes. That was the plan of this "public experiment". I'll post about a new signal once it comes in (chance for that to happen in principle: every 6h. Right now, there's a good chance a 'buy' will be signaled within a week or two.)

Keep in mind though the critical remark by Ryn above: while the backtest might look promising, there is also only a small number of total signals (by design), which means future profitability of the parameters is less certain than in a method that has more data points.

That said, while I posted about other experimental methods before, this is one where I'm inclined to put some money on the signals myself, because of what seems to be a pretty good risk/reward ratio (I would probably set a stop loss in addition to the signals, however).

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:50:55 PM

...That said, while I posted about other experimental methods before, this is one where I'm inclined to put some money on the signals myself, because of what seems to be a pretty good risk/reward ratio (I would probably set a stop loss in addition to the signals, however).

Looks good, will have some of that.

How tight a stop? What has the maximum drawdown been over the test timeframe?

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 03:44:49 PM

Interesting experiment! I'm going to stick around for this.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 04:27:06 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2014, 05:03:40 PM by piramida

Oh yes; although I use like 20% of my stash for that still gives enough profit to have a coffee.. or two.. or a car. But you do need lots of patience. Some kind of robot to tell you what to do may help discipline, so GJ oda, interesting what your robowhale has to say (although if I were it I'd be screaming buy buy since last week).

i am satoshi
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 04:32:24 PM

Excellent thread. Well done. Like others, I shall follow it with interest as you post your first buy signal Smiley
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 04:56:53 PM

Hodling is still better for whales because whales cannot avoid paying taxes. Short term capital gains tax is not nice in most countries and would drastically reduce the gains you project here.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

Great thread, will definitely keep an eye on it Wink

In fact, over the entire history of Bitcoin on-exchange trading, this method would have only given signals for 6 (!) trading pairs.

Right now, there's a good chance a 'buy' will be signaled within a week or two.

Can you elaborate?
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:04:07 PM

Oda,

If your signal indicator is going to have a buy in a week or two, its pretty obvious that you (or the indicator) believes the bottom is in, that we will retrace off local highs, consolidate, and then start making a move up.

Its not rocket science to eyeball your chart.

Or are you leaving the possibility that the indicator will not offer a buy signal and we will go to new lower lows.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:11:27 PM

This algorithm's buy/sell signals look fairly similar to those on the daily ichimoku cloud.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:37:52 PM

Nice find, oda!

Is this something that can be scaled down to a shorter time frame, if only to have a larger testing sample for sustainability? I'm curious to see how this works out. Watching closely!
There are chances that it won't scale down. While charts are fractal, bitcoin long-term has some special features that IMO are not present at shorter time-frames: exponential growth, orders-of-magnitude runs, 8-month cycles. If the method relies on them, it won't scale.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:38:26 PM

I used to trade every other day. Couple months ago I switched to trading every once in a while. Works better for me.
Day trading is fun with a small stack but once your stack gets bigger it is hard to move your coins quick at one price.

My last trades by the way are:
Sell at 480$, Buy at 300$.

I'm all-in again since that huge sell wall on Stamp at $300,- I took a good chunk out of. Smiley

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:42:53 PM

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:50:09 PM

Good post as usual oda.

Beginner traders should not be trading frequently. Taking a longer-term view and developing a strategy around it (i.e. this one) is far more effective than day trading, or worse yet, day trading on margin.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 09:59:10 PM

Oda,

If your signal indicator is going to have a buy in a week or two, its pretty obvious that you (or the indicator) believes the bottom is in, that we will retrace off local highs, consolidate, and then start making a move up.

Its not rocket science to eyeball your chart.

Or are you leaving the possibility that the indicator will not offer a buy signal and we will go to new lower lows.

I understand where you're coming from, but "the bottom is in" and "lazywhale signals buy soon" are two not necessarily related statements.

Like I said in the OP, unless we see a major, continuous drop in price, the method will most likely signal 'buy' in about the next week. I can say that because I can look at the internal variables, and see how far they are towards a buy signal. I can also approximate how far price would need to drop before there will be no buy signal in the short term - that's why I said what I said: barring a drastic price drop, it will signal buy soon.
(EDIT: to be more precise, price would need to fall to a level of 330/340, and stay there for a while, before a buy signal becomes unlikely)

So, 'bottom is in' and 'buy signal coming in' are not necessarily linked because:

a) there is a chance (even if small), that the bottom isn't in, the method will signal buy, and it will be a *profitable* signal nonetheless. That would happen if there is a second bottom after the buy signal, that price immediately recovers from before the method signals sell. Like I said in my OP, this method isn't built to catch the absolute bottom, it aims to capture large swings, so in that case, the signal would work just as intended.

b) the more likely scenario if the bottom *isn't* in: the method will yield an unprofitable signal.

I hope it won't do that, but that's why I can say 'method is close to a buy signal' without committing to anything about the market. I just describe ... okay, admittedly: tease a bit, about what the algorithm is about to signal Cheesy Maybe that's what you dislike? I was trying to gather a bit of interest by doing that, but it's a bit sleazy perhaps to do so.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:15:12 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2014, 10:28:58 PM by oda.krell

...That said, while I posted about other experimental methods before, this is one where I'm inclined to put some money on the signals myself, because of what seems to be a pretty good risk/reward ratio (I would probably set a stop loss in addition to the signals, however).

Looks good, will have some of that.

How tight a stop? What has the maximum drawdown been over the test timeframe?

From the top of the April 2013 bubble: about 50%. From the 2011 bubble: about 60% even. Not that great if dollar preservation is your highest ranked goal, but like I wrote above, there are 3 ranked goals I had in mind, and riding out a rally for the most part before selling is at the top of that list.

I would probably only set a stop for a buy signal that looks a bit dubious to me (like the one I expect now Cheesy). The buy signal come in a bit easier than the sell signals, so it makes sense perhaps to reign them in a bit. How tight depends, again, on your preference for USD preservation vs BTC accumulation, but I'd say at least 5%, up to 10% - tighter than that, and it probably won't work well with the comparably large moves this method seems to accept as "noise" between the tradeable swings.

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:32:40 PM

Oh yes; although I use like 20% of my stash for that still gives enough profit to have a coffee.. or two.. or a car. But you do need lots of patience. Some kind of robot to tell you what to do may help discipline, so GJ oda, interesting what your robowhale has to say (although if I were it I'd be screaming buy buy since last week).

Hey, I said that much in my OP's Q&A part Cheesy A good trader will almost certainly outperform this method. It's a (hopefully smart) combination of momentum signals, while a good trader will have seen the 275 drop as an excellent entry point for a mean reversion trading pair, which is probably a lot more profitable.

My algorithm can't do that. It looks at the big swings, and half-way through a  bear market basically says "fuck it, I had enough" Cheesy That's what I was aiming for, and that's what the algorithm seems to signal quite well, so far. Not that many data points because little trades, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: