Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:35:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice... (the LazyWhale algorithm)  (Read 24643 times)
btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 06:29:58 AM

Go on, cross ya bugger, dare you, double dare you!!!

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 07:11:31 AM

New version (V3.2). Updated to include (rather "lax") stop loss triggers. I backtested a range of stop percentages to make sure they don't interfere with the signals (and corresponding trades) in the past. The point was not to optimize historical profit further (which would be cheating imo), but adding a level of safety to the output of the method. Exact percentage values at which stops are set changes, but roughly, around 10%, 15%.

Suggested position still USD. Here's an updated view, with the approximate area in which either a buy signal is triggered (green), or a change to a buy signal becomes unlikely in the short to mid term (red).

Just to screw with people I bet it goes green then red right after lol... but lets see...
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:26:08 PM

This is a truly great thread, it really seems that your lazy whale method works Oda!

I think I might try following it from now on, which will be a first for me in midterm trading.

So as a rookie I really have ro ask:how do you whales do it when your position is usd? Do you just keep the fiat in the exchanges? After MtGox I feel uneasy leaving even my smal amounts hanging around...
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:30:39 PM

This is a truly great thread, it really seems that your lazy whale method works Oda!

I think I might try following it from now on, which will be a first for me in midterm trading.

So as a rookie I really have ro ask:how do you whales do it when your position is usd? Do you just keep the fiat in the exchanges? After MtGox I feel uneasy leaving even my smal amounts hanging around...

Thanks :) Please keep in mind that the real test of the method will be the future signals. Backtesting results look promising, but as pointed out by others in here and me as well, it's not possible to rule out entirely that they're mostly the result of curve fitting.

Re: 'where to keep your USD'. I'm not a whale myself, but I'll answer anyway :) I do feel reasonably secure keeping a non-trivial USD position on Bitstamp for an extended time. They strike me as slightly "bland" exchange perhaps (no margin trading, not ideal for bot traders, intrusive KYC/AML procedure), but as a consequence of that, they seem comparably secure as well to me. Also, never had any trouble or delays with withdrawals (USD or BTC), so I'm willing to take that risk for now and keep my USD on their account. That said, I only trade with a /portion/ of my BTC position - so, if things go terribly wrong on the exchange side, I won't be down entirely.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:53:58 PM

or 0 BTC and 0 USD if traded at mtGox

That is what's great about long term speculation comparing to daily trading - you don't have to keep the money around, one day won't make much difference.

i am satoshi
TonyT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:06:52 PM

Thanks Smiley Please keep in mind that the real test of the method will be the future signals. Backtesting results look promising, but as pointed out by others in here and me as well, it's not possible to rule out entirely that they're mostly the result of curve fitting.

Can we publicly ridicule you now, unicorn?  LOL u r lookin for the mythical chart to describe the future of BTC.  If the BTC market is fair, then by definition there is no way to predict it, according to the EMH (Efficient Market Hypothesis).  If it's not fair, as you imply, and the whales are manipulating it, then it is predictable.  Has anybody looked at the trading volume to see if there are whales that dump shares (or buy back) during the red/green portions of the curve?  Keep in mind volume always increases when there is a price jump or fall, so you must parse the data to see if whales are trading, not just volume.  There was a whale ("BearWhale") a few weeks ago trading bitcoin but I don't see it had a big effect on price.

TonyT
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:50:33 PM

[incoherent rambling about EMH and markets]

Here, have my canned response for cases like this:

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
TonyT

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:06:09 PM

[incoherent rambling about EMH and markets]

Here, have my canned response for cases like this:

Your canned response always includes an insult too?  How thoughtful (Not).

Although I doubt you will understand it, here is a paper [1] you should read and ask some grownups what it means.

Good luck with your market crystal ball gazing.  I expected to see a plea for donations for your so-called research, but happily I did not see you stoop that low.

TonyT

[1]
http://www.nber.org/papers/w20592

Hundreds of papers and hundreds of factors attempt to explain the cross-section of expected returns. Given this extensive data mining, it does not make any economic or statistical sense to use the usual significance criteria for a newly discovered factor, e.g., a t-ratio greater than 2.0. However, what hurdle should be used for current research? Our paper introduces a multiple testing framework and provides a time series of historical significance cutoffs from the first empirical tests in 1967 to today. Our new method allows for correlation among the tests as well as missing data. We also project forward 20 years assuming the rate of factor production remains similar to the experience of the last few years. The estimation of our model suggests that a newly discovered factor needs to clear a much higher hurdle, with a t-ratio greater than 3.0. Echoing a recent disturbing conclusion in the medical literature, we argue that most claimed research findings in financial economics are likely false.

TonyT
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:09:52 PM

Don't leave out this part:

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:13:22 PM

"Despite the positive evidence on the profitability of technical trading strategies, it appears that most empirical studies are subject to various problems in their testing procedures, e.g., data snooping, ex post selection of trading rules or search technologies, and difficulties in estimation of risk and transaction costs. Future research must address these deficiencies in testing in order to provide conclusive evidence on the profitability of technical trading strategies."

TL;DR:

Lol, BTCtrader71 beat me to it Cheesy
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:25:39 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 11:17:43 PM by oda.krell

Your canned response always includes an insult too?  How thoughtful (Not).

True. The insult is added on the spot to fit the particular instance of stupidity on display. (bad temper sometimes. sorry.)

Interesting paper, didn't know it before. Thanks.

You know... the cool thing about the EMH (weak or strong, doesn't matter) is how easy it is to empirically falsify it. Just one factor, in one market that yields a result above the significance cutoff (maybe even adjusted for unpublished results :D) is enough to at least declare the EMH for that market dead.

So, if you don't mind, I'll add a link to your paper to my canned response in the future:

To see how the new t-ratio benchmarks better differentiate the statistical significance of factors, in Figure 3 we mark the t-ratios of a few prominent factors. Among these factors, HML, MOM, DCG, SRV and MRT are significant across all types of t-ratio adjustments, EP, LIQ and CVOL are sometimes significant and the rest are never significant.

okthen

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:27:35 PM

Thanks Smiley Please keep in mind that the real test of the method will be the future signals. Backtesting results look promising, but as pointed out by others in here and me as well, it's not possible to rule out entirely that they're mostly the result of curve fitting.

Re: 'where to keep your USD'. I'm not a whale myself, but I'll answer anyway Smiley I do feel reasonably secure keeping a non-trivial USD position on Bitstamp for an extended time. They strike me as slightly "bland" exchange perhaps (no margin trading, not ideal for bot traders, intrusive KYC/AML procedure), but as a consequence of that, they seem comparably secure as well to me. Also, never had any trouble or delays with withdrawals (USD or BTC), so I'm willing to take that risk for now and keep my USD on their account. That said, I only trade with a /portion/ of my BTC position - so, if things go terribly wrong on the exchange side, I won't be down entirely.

Thanks for the answer! Yeah I guess there's not to much harm if you only keep a portion of your stashes in exchanges.

But what about when you want to keep part of the gains in fiat, because you need to eat?

That is what's great about long term speculation comparing to daily trading - you don't have to keep the money around, one day won't make much difference.

Even if you guys are not whales (let's call you dolphins Grin), or even for people with even less - don't banks get suspicious when you receive/send a couple thousand back and forth?

Sorry for my innocence, I really want to understand, and to be prepared to use the "lazy kitteh" algorithm once the next bubble comes Smiley
TonyT

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:41:20 PM

You know... the cool thing about the EMH (weak or strong, doesn't matter) is how easy it is to empirically falsify it. Just one factor, in one market that yields a result above the significance cutoff (maybe even adjusted for unpublished results Cheesy) is enough to at least declare the EMH for that market dead.

So, if you don't mind, I'll add a link to your paper to my canned response in the future:

To see how the new t-ratio benchmarks better differentiate the statistical significance of factors, in Figure 3 we mark the t-ratios of a few prominent factors. Among these factors, HML, MOM, DCG, SRV and MRT are significant across all types of t-ratio adjustments, EP, LIQ and CVOL are sometimes significant and the rest are never significant.

So you just make it up as you go along, or did you run the factors through a stats filter?  Re EMH, your empirical falsification would be Warren Buffet of course...

Good luck and let us know when it is open season to insult you... I'll be watching this thread. ;-)

TonyT
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:32:48 PM

don't banks get suspicious when you receive/send a couple thousand back and forth?

If you do not sell drugs, do not fund terrorists and you pay taxes, then there is not problem :-).
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:27:01 PM

don't banks get suspicious when you receive/send a couple thousand back and forth?
Depending on where you live, there is other inconveniences:
1. Transaction fees (about $25 * 2).
2. Currency exchange fees ( * 2).
3. Delays (about 5 days * 2).
4. If the amount is over $10K (or even less, rpietila says it's $5K) it will trigger notification to authorities, so you should be prepared to prove that you are not in drug trade or money laundering etc.
5. Since your country authorities will know about your business, you will have to declare profit from your btc trade and pay tax on it. You may have pay a tax even if you'll make worse that buy & hold. Say, if because of your trading you've lost half of your coins, but since coin price have tripled. So the dollar value of your holdings have grown 1.5x, so you'll have to pay tax on this 0.5. It depends on your country tax rules, of course.

If you do not sell drugs, do not fund terrorists and you pay taxes, then there is not problem :-).
I don't, don't and do, but still had problems. My bank didn't get my money to exchange, the money just were quietly returned back to my account in a week, so I've lost 2 weeks time (had to open account in other bank) and since it was during a rally, it did cost me a lot Sad

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
okthen

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

Depending on where you live, there is other inconveniences:
1. Transaction fees (about $25 * 2).
2. Currency exchange fees ( * 2).
3. Delays (about 5 days * 2).
4. If the amount is over $10K (or even less, rpietila says it's $5K) it will trigger notification to authorities, so you should be prepared to prove that you are not in drug trade or money laundering etc.
5. Since your country authorities will know about your business, you will have to declare profit from your btc trade and pay tax on it. You may have pay a tax even if you'll make worse that buy & hold. Say, if because of your trading you've lost half of your coins, but since coin price have tripled. So the dollar value of your holdings have grown 1.5x, so you'll have to pay tax on this 0.5. It depends on your country tax rules, of course.

Yep, these are my worries. On point 4, the bank has called me when I received a $4000 (bitcoin unrelated) transaction...
And on 5: a part of my bitcoin holdings was never on my account, it was transferred directly in bitcoin. How on earth can they know how much I "profited"?
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:00:06 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 11:36:06 PM by oda.krell

You know... the cool thing about the EMH (weak or strong, doesn't matter) is how easy it is to empirically falsify it. Just one factor, in one market that yields a result above the significance cutoff (maybe even adjusted for unpublished results Cheesy) is enough to at least declare the EMH for that market dead.

So you just make it up as you go along, or did you run the factors through a stats filter?  Re EMH, your empirical falsification would be Warren Buffet of course...

Good luck and let us know when it is open season to insult you... I'll be watching this thread. ;-)

That's all I'm asking for. (also, sorry for the earlier ad hominems)

Thou shalt insulteth me for my incompetence to put together a proper indicator (which is very much a possibility), but not attacketh with the blunt sword that is the ETH. EMH (don't know why I had to pull Zurich into this)

I "make it up as I go along", to use your words (I assume you mean if I can say if my results would pass a significance filter). But I think I said more than once that I'm aware that there's no guarantee of continued profits in the historic range. Hence, the "public experiment", as I called it from day 1.

I'll note this however: one of the most robust factors (across markets, if I understood them correctly - I skimmed the article) Harvey et al  mentions is, non-surprisingly, momentum. Which is ..  ta daa .... what my indicator is built up on as well. I hereby claim statistical significance by vague similarity (that should be a thing, I think)

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:03:00 PM

Even if you guys are not whales (let's call you dolphins Grin), or even for people with even less - don't banks get suspicious when you receive/send a couple thousand back and forth?

If your bank is not openly hostile to Bitcoin (few in Europe actually are, it seems. Take a look at this thread maybe: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264679.0), and you plan to pay taxes on your capital gains, that shouldn't be a problem.

lucasjkr

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:08:16 PM

backtesting is good and all.... but I'm not sure that this is applicable. The time frame too extreme, in bitcoins case. We're never going back to the days of 2011, early adopters got theirs already, no use creating a model that assumes you can start from the beginning.

If you condense the timescale to this year alone, how would you have held up?
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:19:29 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 10:51:53 PM by oda.krell

backtesting is good and all.... but I'm not sure that this is applicable. The time frame too extreme, in bitcoins case. We're never going back to the days of 2011, early adopters got theirs already, no use creating a model that assumes you can start from the beginning.

If you condense the timescale to this year alone, how would you have held up?

Not sure if I agree with you on this (that 2011 should be ignored)... I believe the market data from back then can still inform future trades, even if the prices from back then never come back. Also, I've said it more than once, everything so far are hypothetical profits. The real test will be seeing if the parameters / constraints I found will hold up in the future.

Re: this year's profit only. Assuming a starting position of 1 BTC as of 2014-01-01, a 1:1 strategy based on this method's output (and assuming no trading costs) has a current account of 1154 USD (~2.95 BTC at current price), based on 3 trades. (yes, I know. very little data points.)

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: