Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:22:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN‘s Liquid Cooled Miner C1: It is not only cool, but it is cool  (Read 18255 times)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 05:42:03 PM

Sigh, my reserved post was deleted, need to wait for Theymos to come on now to restore it. For now here are the links:

What you need to get started:

2x Quick disconnect fittings*^[aquatuning.us]| $26.30 + $8%

*Get 2L if you think you might spill or want spare.
*^Optional but highly recommended.
%No additional shipping charge if purchased with the coolant.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 05:46:28 PM

There is a small savings in cost, but IMO the C1 isnt revolutionary by any means, and will ship almost a week later than S3+ units will (which is a ~$20/0.05BTC difference)

Theres a higher risk of leaks and failure with this design i think, and for most people taking up slightly less space, with a large rad dangling someplace, wont offer much benefit as the S3+ is fairly easy to stack on its side anyways.

If someone can point to a 5kW-sized radiator/pump that could run multiple C1 units in parallel for under $150 though, thats a different story

There will be some kits soonish for multiple units, but generally you can't put 5kW of heat in an arrangement like this [easily]. Coolant temps would be too high by the 5th unit, and the head pressure required to go through 5 sets of waterblocks would require pumps in series which is never a great idea. Remember the tube cross section is pretty low, so the minor losses become significant if you try and increase flow rate significantly - which is what you need to cool 5 units on one loop.

For now, the shipping on the second individual kit for now is only about $15, so you get the entire kit delivered for about $65.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 05:57:54 PM

There is a small savings in cost, but IMO the C1 isnt revolutionary by any means, and will ship almost a week later than S3+ units will (which is a ~$20/0.05BTC difference)

Theres a higher risk of leaks and failure with this design i think, and for most people taking up slightly less space, with a large rad dangling someplace, wont offer much benefit as the S3+ is fairly easy to stack on its side anyways.

If someone can point to a 5kW-sized radiator/pump that could run multiple C1 units in parallel for under $150 though, thats a different story

There will be some kits soonish for multiple units, but generally you can't put 5kW of heat in an arrangement like this [easily]. Coolant temps would be too high by the 5th unit, and the head pressure required to go through 5 sets of waterblocks would require pumps in series which is never a great idea. Remember the tube cross section is pretty low, so the minor losses become significant if you try and increase flow rate significantly - which is what you need to cool 5 units on one loop.

For now, the shipping on the second individual kit for now is only about $15, so you get the entire kit delivered for about $65.

hence why i think parallel tubing with distinct pumps but a common radiator (using a large 480mm, 1000cfm fan or similar) would be slightly more viable to transferring heat.

either way, for most users this seems pointless unless you either circulate the hot water into something useful (like heating a pool) or can easily hook 20+ of these units up and be able to transfer the heat 20 feet or so to a convenient opening.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 06:00:11 PM

They were charging me 35$ to ship to Canada.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 06:00:38 PM

hence why i think parallel tubing with distinct pumps but a common radiator (using a large 480mm, 1000cfm fan or similar) would be slightly more viable to transferring heat.

either way, for most users this seems pointless unless you either circulate the hot water into something useful (like heating a pool) or can easily hook 20+ of these units up and be able to transfer the heat 20 feet or so to a convenient opening.

As someone else said, the C1 isn't revolutionary but it does add a lot of potential for different uses. People can route the radiators outside (on one loop or many), larger farms can route it into their current evaporative cooling systems and by combining two S3s into one unit, the shipping costs per GH go down for everyone.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 06:01:35 PM

On the second kit?

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 06:13:34 PM

On the second kit?

Sorry missed it ! You're right, i'm wrong =>the shipping on the second individual kit
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 06:43:12 PM

2x S3+:
1.07 BTC
0.387 Shipping to US
= 1.457 Total

1x C1:
1.0 BTC
0.226 Shipping to US
0.13 (Cooling equipment $50 @ $377/BTC)
= 1.356

It doesn't save that much space since you still need room for the cooler.
It's not any quieter since the radiator will still have fans.
It's not any more efficient since it is using the same hashing boards.

I don't get it. I guess some people just have a hard on for liquid cooling. Huh

corrected your above math - there is a small savings in cost, but IMO the C1 isnt revolutionary by any means, and will ship almost a week later than S3+ units will (which is a ~$20/0.05BTC difference)

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/wamo9xltblra.html

That might do it.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:02:33 PM

Or go to a wrecker and offer him $200 for 10 old radiators. Smiley
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:11:17 PM

2x S3+:
1.07 BTC
0.387 Shipping to US
= 1.457 Total

1x C1:
1.0 BTC
0.226 Shipping to US
= 1.356

corrected your above math - there is a small savings in cost, but IMO the C1 isnt revolutionary by any means, and will ship almost a week later than S3+ units will (which is a ~$20/0.05BTC difference)

That might do it.

How would you run 5 independent loops off a single channel radiator?

PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:41:18 PM

@ Bitmain:

With the broken promises of updated firmware for S2 users & all the problems with the S4, PSU, firmware, etc, etc - I would like to see some proof that these will actually work as advertised before deciding to buy some or not.

1) Can you post a screen of one actually mining showing hash/error rate?

2) Will these work with all pools, including p2pool, or just a select few as with the S4?

3) Has the firmware been thoroughly tested this time?

4) What version of cgminer is bundled with it?

Thanks.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:50:07 PM

I miss the days when Bitmain mining gear would pay for itself in 6 or less weeks of mining. I just can't get over having to assume the risk for payback over 3 months.

if these were 2TH I would be all over these as I would just pump cold water from the fish pond outside and pump the hot water back out. No fans or radiators.

1 BTC each plus shipping plus local taxes are just a losing proposition.

good luck all the same to all who are biting. hope BTC hits over 1000 again this November to break you all into ROI.
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

2x S3+:
1.07 BTC
0.387 Shipping to US
= 1.457 Total

1x C1:
1.0 BTC
0.226 Shipping to US
= 1.356

That might do it.

In series, just like I used to do with 4x GPUs. Can easily dissipate 800W+ of heat on the standard 240 rad I was using back then.

You also dont need "specialized" coolant for any sort of watercooling, distilled water changed regularly will work just as well, at $.99 per gallon at your local store if that much.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

I miss the days when Bitmain mining gear would pay for itself in 6 or less weeks of mining. I just can't get over having to assume the risk for payback over 3 months.

if these were 2TH I would be all over these as I would just pump cold water from the fish pond outside and pump the hot water back out. No fans or radiators.

1 BTC each plus shipping plus local taxes are just a losing proposition.

good luck all the same to all who are biting. hope BTC hits over 1000 again this November to break you all into ROI.
When has Bitmain gear ever paid off in 6 weeks or less? Even with free power, they've never been that cheap.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 08:12:53 PM

In series, just like I used to do with 4x GPUs. Can easily dissipate 800W+ of heat on the standard 240 rad I was using back then.

We don't have 800W of heat, we have 5KW of heat - you simply cant get the flow rate required to do that in series before you get to the radiator due to the internal diameter of the tubing [and pathways in the heatsinks].

You also dont need "specialized" coolant for any sort of watercooling, distilled water changed regularly will work just as well, at $.99 per gallon at your local store if that much.

As usual, I recommend the safe options because lets be honest, what percentage of people are going to decide to spend a few hours to drain, flush, clean and refill their multiple C1s?

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:17:47 PM

I have "specialized" coolant in my PC that I have not changed in 18 months. I check the levels every 3 months, and even after 18 months my radiator is still full. Granted the special coolant is a small amount of ethylene glycol with distilled water. Gotta agree with dogie, ain't nobody got time for that.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:19:03 PM

We don't have 800W of heat, we have 5KW of heat - you simply cant get the flow rate required to do that in series before you get to the radiator due to the internal diameter of the tubing [and pathways in the heatsinks].
Just use a bigger pump. Smiley
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:22:09 PM

As usual, I recommend the safe options because lets be honest, what percentage of people are going to decide to spend a few hours to drain, flush, clean and refill their multiple C1s?

You will notice I stated a standard 240 rad... that 9x120 rad with push pull could certainly handle 5 of these in series without issue. Infact... I might just do it.
You can also use a power powerful pump as Mr Teal pointed out. Ive been in the WC scene for a LONG time, built over 100+ machines needing to dissipate 1000+w inside a normal ATX case, and those parts were much more heat sensitive in delta T than ASICs generally are.

By my rough napkin calculations, a radiator with reasonable airflow should be able to dissipate a maximum (ideal) of 900w per 120MMx38MM Rad, giving you a theoretical maximum of 8100W dispensation for that radiator. Obviously I am intentionally ignoring things like airflow and water flow rate, but you get the idea.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:41:19 PM

You will notice I stated a standard 240 rad... that 9x120 rad with push pull could certainly handle 5 of these in series without issue. Infact... I might just do it.
You can also use a power powerful pump as Mr Teal pointed out. Ive been in the WC scene for a LONG time, built over 100+ machines needing to dissipate 1000+w inside a normal ATX case, and those parts were much more heat sensitive in delta T than ASICs generally are.

By my rough napkin calculations, a radiator with reasonable airflow should be able to dissipate a maximum (ideal) of 900w per 120MMx38MM Rad, giving you a theoretical maximum of 8100W dispensation for that radiator. Obviously I am intentionally ignoring things like airflow and water flow rate, but you get the idea.

problem with running in series is that you would likely see temps on each unit increase in succession, with the last unit(s) having the coolant entering at already-high temperatures and offering insufficient cooling. To avoid this, the flow rate (and thus static pressure from the pump) would probably be too much for the C1 waterblocks.

better would be to use a properly-valved system to run them in parallel. A valve on each C1's loop would adjust for any pressure/temperature difference between units.

It could be possible that with a solution like this, the C1 could be employed with a large radiator and pump capable of cooling 10kW+ for <$500

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 08:49:12 PM

Looks like a cool design but a closed loop design plus a lower cost would make it much more attractive.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: