Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:01:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No longer able to buy from Circle.com  (Read 2143 times)
RustyNomad (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:00:28 PM

Tried to buys some btc this afternoon and found that I no longer could.

When they launched I registered an account and linked my debit card to the account and was able to make a couple of purchases over the past two weeks. I then removed the card details in order to load another and found that I could no longer do that as only US cards and bank accounts are now allowed.

Anybody else experienced the same?

Hope this get sorted out quickly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:09:25 PM

When they launched I registered an account and linked my debit card to the account and was able to make a couple of purchases over the past two weeks. I then removed the card details in order to load another and found that I could no longer do that as only US cards and bank accounts are now allowed.

Hope this does not get sorted out ever. Bitcoin purchase against a reversible payment method is NOT a sustainable business model. They created a craze with this which is now calming down as expected.

p.s. Bitcoin is supposed to replace credit card in international transactions. Not to be traded against it.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:10:23 PM

Seems like they chose to only serve US customers for the time being. Maybe they will re-expand some time in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it.
RustyNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:17:25 PM

Hope this does not get sorted out ever. Bitcoin purchase against a reversible payment method is NOT a sustainable business model. They created a craze with this which is now calming down as expected.

p.s. Bitcoin is supposed to replace credit card in international transactions. Not to be traded against it.

As far as I know they processed any card transaction as a 'cash advance' meaning that you could not reverse it. Could be wrong but mine was treated as a cash advance and not a purchase.

Yes, bitcoin is supposed to replace cards and the like BUT until then there needs to be ways to convert fiat to bitcoin. If you remove the accepting of cards and or bank accounts then how do you expect people to aquire bitcoin?
Monkeynutz

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:49:15 PM

Not sure what the issue is...I'm looking to sign up tho (but have to read up on their terms more).  You're the third person this week I've seen had issues though, weird.
bitcoinbot

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:06:29 PM

I bought from there using a debit card just a few days ago. I am from the UK.
Ignore the notice and enter your card details and see what happens.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:14:32 PM

As far as I know they processed any card transaction as a 'cash advance' meaning that you could not reverse it. Could be wrong but mine was treated as a cash advance and not a purchase.

Yes, bitcoin is supposed to replace cards and the like BUT until then there needs to be ways to convert fiat to bitcoin. If you remove the accepting of cards and or bank accounts then how do you expect people to aquire bitcoin?

The way people use to acquire BTC before Circle. Using direct bank deposit and other irreversible method of payment that bypasses MasterCard/VISA. Most of the real time exchanges are now asking for KYC. That is they'll tax U for Bitcoin... today or tomorrow. So, Local Bitcoins or any other peer to peer exchanges are the way to go for daily trading. If u r planning to hoard for long term, u may buy from Big traders like CoinBase, BitSimple, bitonic.nl etc.

RustyNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 08:46:40 PM

I bought from there using a debit card just a few days ago. I am from the UK.
Ignore the notice and enter your card details and see what happens.

Tried but it keeps on kicking it out saying my address is incorrect even though it was accepted before. Also, on screen before you enter the area to add an account it now clearly state US only accounts which was not there before.
FuegoTropicalArrrrrrriiii

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:13:32 PM

Strange, I tried today for a small amount and I didn't have any problems.
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:18:30 PM

Well said.

Unfortunately, a lot of newcomers seems to think they need someone else to take them to the moon.
Bitcoin is not about the moon, it never was. The moon has nothing to do with it.
Bitcoin is here. Now.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:47:20 AM

You can reverse a "cash advance" transaction. The only real difference between a cash advance transaction and a purchase transaction is who bears the cost of processing the transaction (the consumer or the merchant).

If you are to convert fiat into bitcoin then using a bank account is much safer for the seller then a credit card. The seller must take the appropriate precautions including both a rigorous risk management system and delayed available of purchased bitcoin
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:42:52 AM

My bank charge 4% for cash advance, do I have pay 4% if I buy from circle?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 01:14:21 PM

My bank charge 4% for cash advance, do I have pay 4% if I buy from circle?

if you buy BTC with a credit card, you only pay the CC fees.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 03:33:18 PM

You can reverse a "cash advance" transaction. The only real difference between a cash advance transaction and a purchase transaction is who bears the cost of processing the transaction (the consumer or the merchant).

If you are to convert fiat into bitcoin then using a bank account is much safer for the seller then a credit card. The seller must take the appropriate precautions including both a rigorous risk management system and delayed available of purchased bitcoin

Does it mean that for Cash Advance, Circle pays the cost of processing the transaction ? I'm not very familiar with these Credit Card rules.

practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:10:02 PM

Slightly off topic - but just to let people in the UK know that I have now succesfully not only bought btc on Circle using a Visa debit card - but also sold btc and had the fiat transferred back to the same debit card. There was a 3 day lapse before the money showed up in my UK account.
  Pretty handy, it has to be said.
RustyNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 05:04:24 PM

Does it mean that for Cash Advance, Circle pays the cost of processing the transaction ? I'm not very familiar with these Credit Card rules.

No you pay the fee. When you go to the buy screen you have to enter the amount you want to buy for. At the bottom it will show you the amount you are buying for, the fee that will be added to the transaction and the total.
kerafym

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 08:42:22 PM

Fraud is rampant on credit card. Should have expect them to stop processing credit card sooner.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
bitcoinbot

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:39:39 PM

I just wanted to confirm that I have bought more bitcoin using my stored debit card on Circle. It took just a few seconds. I am from the UK so maybe it's an issue with your specific account?
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 09:28:19 AM

I just wanted to confirm that I have bought more bitcoin using my stored debit card on Circle. It took just a few seconds. I am from the UK so maybe it's an issue with your specific account?

Most likely they wont have issue with US & UK accounts.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:21:15 AM

They said the CC purchase works only for US customers from now on. I guess the ones who added card already from another country are lucky Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: