Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:47:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI Director claims Encryption threatens to lead all of us to a very dark place!  (Read 1086 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 03:43:32 PM

The FBI director spent an hour attacking the companies and the very idea of encryption, even suggesting that Congress should pass a law banning the practice of default encryption.

FBI Director claims Encryption threatens to lead all of us to a very dark place!

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/fbi-director-if-apple-and-google-wont-decrypt-phones-well-force-them-to

Going Dark: Are Technology, Privacy, and Public Safety on a Collision Course?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkbh5fJoFhc

If this is the reaction of law enforcement towards encryption!

Think about bitcoin and how is the FBI going to deal with bitcoin
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 03:51:27 PM

Is the Fbi big enough to force Giants like Apple and Google?
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:19:12 PM

Oh noes, not encryption!!!

The guvament might not be able to read ALL of your texts, messages and emails!! Instead they will only be able to read 99% of them.

Better outlaw encryption before the big bad TERRORISTS come and use it to blow up another plane!!

Everytime you use encryption, a small puppy dies and an FBI agent cries!!

Think of the children.

THE CHILDREN!!!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:20:34 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2014, 04:40:41 PM by RodeoX

Great! I love the dark.  Smiley

EDIT: The director is just going to have to understand that trust is the issue. They are asking for our trust by demanding back doors in software. Well, they have violated our trust and so they will not be trusted by me. I can also assume that the FBI does not trust me. If they did they would not want to see my personal communication. I am not going to allow spying by provably untrustworthy people.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:06:38 AM

Whats interesting is that he admits the companies are doing
it because of market demand, yet he still thinks its a bad
idea.

In essense, he is saying:  "I know whats best for you"...
Classic big-brother authoritarianism. 

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:15:42 AM

James Comey is an asshole and Apple's new encryption is security theatre. Encrypting local data with a four-digit PIN and using unencrypted cloud storage does nothing to hinder criminal investigations.
In my super-paranoid mind, this is an indication the privacy war is lost. FBI officials know they're getting significant press over this, so it seems to me like an intentional media circus trying to show the public that Google and Apple are pioneers in security, and that the public can trust them to guard their data. I think they're intentionally trying to make themselves look weak and unable to control this.

Black helicopter going overhead confirms.
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:49:49 AM

encryption is currently used by many large companies such as Microsoft or Apple, encryption is also used by companies such as Kaspersky or Bitdefender antivirus, they use encryption system to protect the operating system they use from hackers who are experienced and possess skills that are very capable, encryption for now I think it is still needed by some developers programming ...  Cool

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 01:35:26 PM

James Comey is an asshole and Apple's new encryption is security theatre. Encrypting local data with a four-digit PIN and using unencrypted cloud storage does nothing to hinder criminal investigations.
In my super-paranoid mind, this is an indication the privacy war is lost. FBI officials know they're getting significant press over this, so it seems to me like an intentional media circus trying to show the public that Google and Apple are pioneers in security, and that the public can trust them to guard their data. I think they're intentionally trying to make themselves look weak and unable to control this.

Black helicopter going overhead confirms.
I am not so sure about this. You are implying that the FBI is able to "crack" the security of the iPhone while claiming they are unable to do so. I would disagree and would say that they are trying to create fear in the public that the encryption systems would make it impossible to stop terrorists and other criminals the public does not like.

One thing to note that if you are only using a 4 digit PIN on your phone then you would not be safe as LE is able to clone your phone and would only need to attempt 10,000 PINs before figuring out the correct PIN (for those of you who have mined in the past know that this is a very small number of PINs to try)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: