Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:48:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius Roll-Your-Own Physical Bitcoins: Only 0.13 BTC  (Read 4649 times)
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:19:01 PM

The problem with those Roll-Your-Own Coins is that you give people ideal coins to fake the real ones :/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoin_bob

Activity: 373

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:04:16 AM

The problem with those Roll-Your-Own Coins is that you give people ideal coins to fake the real ones :/

I think thats what holograms are for......
Birdy

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:44:26 AM

I think thats what holograms are for......

Yes, but it's still easier if you only have to create a hologram.
tymm0

Activity: 178
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 02:15:33 PM

I think the idea behind these are to give people  way to create their own which I find more valuable since you don't have to put your trust in anyone but your self. Not to fake a casascius coin. It seems birdy might not understand how they work.

Teal Technik - https://TealTechnik.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboard Parts and Accessories
Birdy

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:22:20 PM

I think the idea behind these are to give people  way to create their own which I find more valuable since you don't have to put your trust in anyone but your self. Not to fake a casascius coin. It seems birdy might not understand how they work.
I do understand how they work.
It's still easier to make fake ones when you have the pressed coin to go.
coco23

Activity: 1974
Merit: 856

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:30:46 PM

It's still easier to make fake ones when you have the pressed coin to go.
I agree. The roll-your-own coins should at least differ in some aspects (rather than being a perfect copy of one "real" Casascius coin)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 03:39:47 PM

I am no longer offering roll-your-owns of the same metallic coin that goes into my real coins.

I introduced new roll-your-owns at the conference that are markedly different - they are aluminum and non-denominated.  They are lighter and bigger - both in an obvious manner - than my regular fare of coins.

Chances are pretty good I will be able to offer these as a sort of business card!  That seemed to be the overwhelming interest in them at the conference.  They could be loaded with 0.01 BTC as well.

Also, I'm going to be offering them in bags of 500.  I initially was thinking I'd do 5000, but the sentiment I got was that's just too high a quantity for most people.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitcoin_bob

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:28:20 AM

I am no longer offering roll-your-owns of the same metallic coin that goes into my real coins.

I introduced new roll-your-owns at the conference that are markedly different - they are aluminum and non-denominated.  They are lighter and bigger - both in an obvious manner - than my regular fare of coins.

Chances are pretty good I will be able to offer these as a sort of business card!  That seemed to be the overwhelming interest in them at the conference.  They could be loaded with 0.01 BTC as well.

Also, I'm going to be offering them in bags of 500.  I initially was thinking I'd do 5000, but the sentiment I got was that's just too high a quantity for most people.

The only issue I see by making the coins different is you are not allowing an industryd'standard' to go across the coin offerings that you have made. Plus having offered blanks out already means they are already out there. From a counterfeiting view- thats already a possibility right there. The hologram and verification program seems to be the main security here, not just the simple disk of Brass?

I saw that you once said in a post that you dont mind people using the design- even offering up the dies at one point- as long as they did not put 'casascius' anywhere on the coin. Does that offer still hold?

I would have hoped that the euro-zone approach would have been taken here- 1 design for the coins, and then issuers in charge of their own holographics etc, just like the 1 and 2 euro coins have a standard side and then the states do their own thing with the front.

I was hoping to secure some from you to enamel them and offer them as fun, maybe even loaded with bitcoin if possible to have some collectors editions.

I've been offered a few hundred from someone who says he has some blanks but at a lot higher price than I really would like to pay for them Sad 
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:29:34 PM

The only issue I see by making the coins different is you are not allowing an industryd'standard' to go across the coin offerings that you have made. Plus having offered blanks out already means they are already out there. From a counterfeiting view- thats already a possibility right there. The hologram and verification program seems to be the main security here, not just the simple disk of Brass?

Just having offered coins already would put the blanks out there, since anyone could rip off the hologram, clean the coin, and have a blank.

Supply and demand has dictated that the purpose of Casascius Coins has evolved from being a functional proof of concept to a collector's item.  One merits a "standard", the other, not so much.

I saw that you once said in a post that you dont mind people using the design- even offering up the dies at one point- as long as they did not put 'casascius' anywhere on the coin. Does that offer still hold?

That's how I felt in the past, but I don't anticipate offering access to the dies now that the current appearance is strongly associated with me and that the market has decided that a Casascius Coin is a collector's item.  That said, I don't own the Bitcoin logo or the word "BITCOIN", so hopefully people will use their own resourcefulness and creativity and come up with something relatively original.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitcoin_bob

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:31:06 AM

That's how I felt in the past, but I don't anticipate offering access to the dies now that the current appearance is strongly associated with me

Do you have any underlying issue if I buy blanks from another vendor and enamel them and then offer them for sale? Obviously not under your name but as you say physical bit-coins seem to have become as synonymous with you as search engines have with Google.......
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 07:20:46 PM

...Simply order 5 or more of my "broken 1BTC sample" on my website....

Mike: what are these? And are the roll your own coins still available?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: