Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:48:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Bitcoiners Neoliberals?  (Read 9205 times)
DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:28:32 PM

Yeah, that is great, just don't answer my question, because it shows a big flaw in your argument of "free choice".
Going on an abstract level, when there is a concrete question is just weak.

No. I answered why third world countries tend to have working conditions, hours, and pay that don't come anywhere near to matching the first world, then you one-line bald-faced swapped the topic out to sex trafficking which is a different issue. To me, that signaled that you either have zero integrity, or you have zero capacity of following a conversation. In either case, why should I waste my time on you?

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 01:09:10 PM

Yeah, that is great, just don't answer my question, because it shows a big flaw in your argument of "free choice".

No. I answered why third world countries tend to have working conditions, hours, and pay that don't come anywhere near to matching the first world, then you one-line bald-faced swapped the topic out to sex trafficking which is a different issue. To me, that signaled that you either have zero integrity, or you have zero capacity of following a conversation. In either case, why should I waste my time on you?

Why do you waste time on any of this delusional stuff?  The only thing you are doing is making Bitcoin look ridiculous.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
DumbFruit

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 03:04:52 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2014, 03:20:44 PM by DumbFruit

Yep, HELP.org, you are always raising the quality of discussion. How's your "Everyone that disagrees with me is just repeating memes." meme coming along?

... I listened to people who knew what they were talking about and not a bunch of people on discussion boards who repeat meme's.

Do you have a degree in meme-based debates on reddit?

From that point on I knew that Vorhees had no idea what he was talking about and he just repeats meme's and cute slogans.

You are one who is brainwashed because you get your info from internet discussion boards and meme's and you don't interact with the public at large.

...his meme-based arguments are going to be disregarded.

He doesn't go around making a bunch of hyperbolic comments and meme's or attaching himself to a technology in order to promote himself.

His arguments consist of sound bytes and meme's.

This is my favorite;

You get some sound byte or meme and they act like they just trumped the whole discussion.

Followed by;

Why do you waste time on any of this delusional stuff?  The only thing you are doing is making Bitcoin look ridiculous.

It sure does suck when people just jump in with a sound byte and act like they just trumped the whole discussion, huh?

turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:42:59 PM

Minor sex workers and children working in mines is both about children labor and their "free choice" to do it.
You gave a ridiculous example about "what if aliens invade us"?
How is that answering my question?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
DumbFruit

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 04:54:16 PM

Minor sex workers and children working in mines is both about children labor and their "free choice" to do it.
I was answering the portion concerning capital accumulation, would you like me to answer what I think about the age of consent? What age am I supposed to assume people in some some random drawing are suppose to be?

There is not a definitive Anarcho-Libertarian position on this issue, but it's certainly not the "children are cattle" sort of nonsense you're trying say.

turvarya

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:16:07 PM

I was answering the portion concerning capital accumulation, would you like me to answer what I think about the age of consent? What age am I supposed to assume people in some some random drawing are suppose to be?

There is not a definitive Anarcho-Libertarian position on this issue, but it's certainly not the "children are cattle" sort of nonsense you're trying say.
I never asked about capital accumulation, I asked about "free choice" of children.
So, are also minor sexworkers, ok?
If not, what is the difference to "choosing" to work in a mine?
Saying  there is no "Anarcho-Libertarian position" just shows, that you are cherry picking. Minor sex workers is something in the real world. A theory about society, that doesn't have a position on it, is just a real bad one. Avoiding delicate questions is weak.

bitcollins85

Activity: 235
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:35:57 PM

The word liberal in Neoliberalism refers to the liberalization or easing of labour and trade laws meant to protect the population from the tyranny of unrestrained capitalism.
DumbFruit

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:07:50 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2014, 09:04:43 PM by DumbFruit

Quote from: Cameltoemcgee on October 28, 2014, 11:44:39 PM
He's saying that the same people who are doing it now will continue to do it but instead of putting tenders to government for funding, they will be directly funded by people. The argument could be made that in the absence of a violent (and inefficient) monopoly claiming responsibility for remediation of a VERY important issue, the quality of care that underprivileged get will be significantly better without them.
Yes.
I love how you highlighted this in red like you caught me out. Great job detective. How does what cameltoemcgee said contradict anything I said previously?
You just posted a bunch of things I said, but you haven’t described how I contradicted myself, and I don’t see it.
I’m saying that the condition of the poor improves under Anarcho-Capitalism better than under state overlords. I’m not saying that all the poor will disappear immediately, no matter how many times you try to paste some quotes together to try to make it look like I’ve taken some extreme position.

The extreme position that you are trying to put me in is here plain as day for anyone to see and was never a position that I took.
First you say that altruism should mean that all the poor and all the orphans should be taken care of immediately, and since I said altruism already exists in society, I need to show you a society in which all the orphans and all poor people are constantly and completely taken care of. That’s an outrageous definition of altruism, and that’s not my position.
Altruism should mean that all of the 400,000 orphans that society as a whole do not want would be adopted by families annually - now.
Since the dawn of time, has this ever happened before? Has societies, collectively, voluntarily decide to adopt every orphan…

This of course brings up the question - based on what actually, other than blind supposition? Has corporations made measurable charitable initiatives today that exceeds the government in terms of reach and effectiveness?
I am not concerned with the effectiveness of charities in terms of “reach”, because government welfare crowds out private charity. You cannot lose money in taxes and then send that same money to private charities. You can give up even more of your income, but people have what is called “diminishing marginal utility” for their discretionary income. The more money that is taken in taxes, the less people will give in charity, depending on their prefences.
It's also more important for charity to be effective, than have massive quantity. "Charity" that makes the problem worse, is better off if it is smaller.
So the “reach” part aside, I think there can certainly be made the case that private charities in the United States are far more efficient than Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid.
However, I’m not going to do that. Society is so complex we could spend the next century trying to figure out why event X happened despite Y.
Austrian economists do not believe that economics is based on empirical research. Economic understanding comes from the outworking of logical principals.
For instance, we understand that raising the minimum wage, ceteris paribus, will mean that less people will be employed. Raising the minimum wage makes it illegal for the least productive members of society to work.
There is no need to go out and do research, or figure out if this is always the case, because you’re always going to find strange outliers where you haven’t been able to track down all the variables.
This is just the same as if your teacher told you the Pythagorean Theorem, and then you went out a measured a bunch of triangles but you found one where the Pythagorean Theorem didn’t seem to hold true. It was a right triangle, but your measurements didn’t correspond to what the Pythagorean Theorem gives you. Your teacher would rightly scold you, because whether or not the Pythagorean Theorem is correct is not based on empirical research; where mathematicians measured triangle after triangle and it just happened to be true most of the time. It’s based off of the fundamental principles of mathematics.
In this same way, no matter how much empirical research you do, you can’t disprove the logical effects of the minimum wage.
Now then, the welfare state is necessarily an entity that takes money from you by force, also known as “theft”, funnels it through its bureaucracy, and then deposits it back into the accounts of certain members of society. Who those members are is based on the whims of congress or appointed agencies. Because welfare is achieved through taxation, it can remain perpetually indebted, show poor results, and have high overhead. For the population to do anything about it, they need to have a majority vote hampered by the votes of the welfare employee’s themselves and the recipients.
Now consider private charity. In this scenario, the agency gets money by the consent of their customers, the benefactors. For them to stay in business they have to succeeded in several ways; Most of the money they receive needs to make it to the people they’re trying to help, they have to show positive results, and they must stay solvent. If at any time the benefactor’s don’t like what’s going on with this business they can withdraw their funding immediately, no questions asked, and no theft permitted.
There is no fundamental advantage to a welfare state. There is no positive improvement in any way over private charity. If a welfare state “succeeds” in any way, it is only due to the infusion of insane amounts of money; impoverishing society as a whole in order to benefit the chosen few.
So instead of asking for empirical evidence, I would ask you instead: In what fundamental way is the welfare system structurally superior to a private charity? What do we gain that we can’t gain from private charity in a better way?

But you can somehow predict their behavior post tax-abolishment?
All I predict is that the same demand for charity that exists with a government will still exist without a government, and that demand will be met more efficiently by private charity.
If society neglects the poor, that is a reflection of their values, and a government could do no better. (But often does far worse.)
Using your argument, altruistic people like Bill Gates shouldn't exists at all now. Remember your argument of “diminishing marginal utility” one paragraph above? Further, you seem unaware that Rockefeller and Standard Oil actually paid enormous amount of taxes in the form of import tariffs for their equipment and concession fees - not to mention systematic kickbacks to local, state and federal officials.

Diminishing marginal utility doesn’t predict that Bill Gates wouldn’t be charitable.
I was using Diminishing Marginal Utility as a way to show that just because some people have more money does not necessarily mean that those people will be more charitable because it depends on their preferences.
The fact that Rockefeller paid taxes has nothing to do with anything I’ve said about him. The amount of taxes he paid was the important part.

Your definition of anarchy is, I'm sorry, just plain silly. Exercising my free will within the constraints of the law is not anarchy.
An Anarcho-Libertarian society is exercising free will under the judiciary of private law agencies, and the executive action of private defense agencies and individuals. In this way having “no rulers”, which is what I call “anarchy”.

“GDP per capita (PPP constant $) 836b 600c,e ?
Life expectancy (years) 46.0b 48.47c,g Improved
One year olds fully immunized against measles (%) 30 40h Improved
One year olds fully immunized against TB (%) 31 50h Improved
Physicians (per 100,000) 3.4 4h Improved
Infants with low birth weight (%) 16 0.3l Improved
Infant mortality rate (per 1000) 152 114.89c,g Improved
Maternal mortality rate (per 100,000) 1600 1100i Improved
Pop. with access to water (%) 29 29h Same
Pop. with access to sanitation (%) 18 26h Improved
Pop. with access to at least one health facility (%) 28 54.8k Improved
Extreme poverty (% < $1 per day) 60 43.2k Improved
Radios (per 1000) 4.0 98.5k Improved
Telephones (per 1000) 1.92d 14.9k Improved
TVs (per 1000) 1.2 3.7k Improved
Fatality due to measles 8000 5598j,m Improved
Adult literacy rate (%) 24b 19.2j Worse
Combined school enrollment (%) 12.9b 7.5a,f Worse

…Only two of the 18 development indicators in Table 1 show a clear welfare decline under stateless: adult literacy and combined gross school enrollment. Given that foreign aid was completely financing education in Somalia pre-1991, it is not surprising that there has been some fall in school enrollment and literacy…

…A substantial observed rise in consumption without an attendant rise in per capita GDP suggests an unmeasured increase in per capita income between the pre- and post-anarchy periods not reflected in the data.”

The lives of people in Somalia improved under anarchy almost across the board compared to under government, your prevaricating and sense of humor notwithstanding.
http://www.peterleeson.com/Better_Off_Stateless.pdf
Sadly, corporatocracy has always acted in its own self interest, not society's.
Business’s acting in their own self-interest is the same as acting in the interest of society. The only time this is not the case is when the business quickly fails, or when the business is getting favors from government.
I would suggest getting the book “The Myth of the Robber Barons” and learning the difference been entrepreneurship and political entrepreneurship.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Myth-Robber-Barons-Business/dp/0963020315
Also, you are laboring under the impression that free market equals complete deregulation - something that the United States nor any other nation have ever tried nor experienced.
Deregulation insofar as practices don’t conflict with the Non-Aggression principle, but otherwise yes.
A good example of free trade was inter-state free trade in the United States. One of the biggest reasons the Federal Government was instituted was to “regulate interstate commerce” which actually meant to remove any kind of barriers to commerce that states might try to erect amongst each-other.  This is why when the Constitution we know today went into effect in 1789, all interstate tariffs, trade restrictions, and export taxes were banned. -Dewey, Financial History of the United States (5th ed. 1915) ch 1-3
Answer to "There is absolute no justification at all to stop aiding people in need." here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=827010.msg9382245#msg9382245
None? How about stopping theft? How about if the agencies responsible aren’t actually doing their job? What if there is a better way of providing for them? What if the same entity that is suppose to be helping these people is simultaneously starving woman and children to death due to trade sanctions? What if that same entity is outright killing innocent people by the tens of thousands, calling it “collateral damage”?
I guess that’s just altruism existing outside of reality again.

You've asked me this earlier, and I've answered you.

8. The government is you, me and other people like us. They are not some alien beings or members Alex Jones' ruling 20 families. Fix the government, from outside or inside. Don't let organizations like {url=http://www.alec.org/]ALEC [/url] write bills for your Congressmen. Pressure your Congressmen to repeal acts like Citizens United which allows companies to secretly fund political campaigns. Despise the war? Make it known, like the Flower Generation. They achieved results, despite the almost universal ridicule they received.

Voting can be gamed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wIq2xeyal8
Voting didn’t stop Hitler. He was elected before the Ermächtigungsgesetz, so I’m not sure why you brought that up.
Voting didn’t stop this;
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Voting didn’t stop the fall of Rome.
Voting can’t stop the tyranny of the majority.

Voting fails time and time again because it’s subject to social pressures, conflict of interest, Condorcet’s paradox, and the ignorance of voters.

Elected officials aren’t “me”, they don’t even necessarily represent the views of the majority.

DumbFruit

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:57:28 PM

I never asked about capital accumulation, I asked about "free choice" of children.

What ideology do you hold, and what is the age of consent?

turvarya

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:10:17 PM

My question wasn't about age of consent. There is a huge difference between having sex for fun and having sex as a job.

Should a 12-year old work in a mine?
I say no, they shouldn't. You say, yes they should.

Should a 12-year old fuck a 40-year old for money?
I say no, they shouldn't. What is your answer to that question?

rugrats

Activity: 700

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:39:02 AM

First off, for the umpteenth time, please stop cherry picking my posts. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish when you do that. If I wrote two things, and you were either wrong on or could not respond to one of them, then concede the point instead of lifting specific sentences to fashion a new argument against me. Don't hide behind excuses that you don't think it’s relevant or I'm throwing a tantrum. What do you think people will do if you conduct yourself this way in a real life discussion?

Quote from: Cameltoemcgee on October 28, 2014, 11:44:39 PM
He's saying that the same people who are doing it now will continue to do it but instead of putting tenders to government for funding, they will be directly funded by people. The argument could be made that in the absence of a violent (and inefficient) monopoly claiming responsibility for remediation of a VERY important issue, the quality of care that underprivileged get will be significantly better without them.
Yes.
I love how you highlighted this in red like you caught me out. Great job detective. How does what cameltoemcgee said contradict anything I said previously?
You just posted a bunch of things I said, but you haven’t described how I contradicted myself, and I don’t see it.
I’m saying that the condition of the poor improves under Anarcho-Capitalism better than under state overlords. I’m not saying that all the poor will disappear immediately, no matter how many times you try to paste some quotes together to try to make it look like I’ve taken some extreme position.

The extreme position that you are trying to put me in is here plain as day for anyone to see and was never a position that I took.
First you say that altruism should mean that all the poor and all the orphans should be taken care of immediately, and since I said altruism already exists in society, I need to show you a society in which all the orphans and all poor people are constantly and completely taken care of. That’s an outrageous definition of altruism, and that’s not my position.
Altruism should mean that all of the 400,000 orphans that society as a whole do not want would be adopted by families annually - now.
Since the dawn of time, has this ever happened before? Has societies, collectively, voluntarily decide to adopt every orphan…

Of course you won’t admit it - even after presented with your own words. I expected no less. You don;t even realize how extreme your position is. Instead, you are arguing semantics, and are absolutely reveling in my use of the word ‘altruism’ and ‘altruistic’, completely oblivious to the fact that I am using the catchword of self-professed paleolibertarians.

You argue against government welfare, and stated that in a tax-free form of government, people and corporations will voluntarily give charitable donations to support the poor.

I’ve asked you why you think corporations that consistently exploit communities will suddenly develop a social conscience? You ignored that (but went on the make a remarkable revelation below).
I’ve asked you why there was no explosion in charitable contributions when the Bush tax cuts freed up $6.6 trillion. You said it’s difficult to make a prediction because it’s “a temporary tax credit” and “people can’t make decisions about charitable donations based on the whims of politicians that change from year to year”. Really? Thirteen years on?

And again, I have no ‘overlords’. You seem very convinced that you do – I am beginning to sense that is the root of your problem.

This of course brings up the question - based on what actually, other than blind supposition? Has corporations made measurable charitable initiatives today that exceeds the government in terms of reach and effectiveness?
I am not concerned with the effectiveness of charities in terms of “reach”, because government welfare crowds out private charity. You cannot lose money in taxes and then send that same money to private charities. You can give up even more of your income, but people have what is called “diminishing marginal utility” for their discretionary income. The more money that is taken in taxes, the less people will give in charity, depending on their prefences.
It's also more important for charity to be effective, than have massive quantity. "Charity" that makes the problem worse, is better off if it is smaller.
So the “reach” part aside, I think there can certainly be made the case that private charities in the United States are far more efficient than Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid.
However, I’m not going to do that. Society is so complex we could spend the next century trying to figure out why event X happened despite Y.
Austrian economists do not believe that economics is based on empirical research. Economic understanding comes from the outworking of logical principals.
For instance, we understand that raising the minimum wage, ceteris paribus, will mean that less people will be employed. Raising the minimum wage makes it illegal for the least productive members of society to work.
There is no need to go out and do research, or figure out if this is always the case, because you’re always going to find strange outliers where you haven’t been able to track down all the variables.
This is just the same as if your teacher told you the Pythagorean Theorem, and then you went out a measured a bunch of triangles but you found one where the Pythagorean Theorem didn’t seem to hold true. It was a right triangle, but your measurements didn’t correspond to what the Pythagorean Theorem gives you. Your teacher would rightly scold you, because whether or not the Pythagorean Theorem is correct is not based on empirical research; where mathematicians measured triangle after triangle and it just happened to be true most of the time. It’s based off of the fundamental principles of mathematics.
In this same way, no matter how much empirical research you do, you can’t disprove the logical effects of the minimum wage.
Now then, the welfare state is necessarily an entity that takes money from you by force, also known as “theft”, funnels it through its bureaucracy, and then deposits it back into the accounts of certain members of society. Who those members are is based on the whims of congress or appointed agencies. Because welfare is achieved through taxation, it can remain perpetually indebted, show poor results, and have high overhead. For the population to do anything about it, they need to have a majority vote hampered by the votes of the welfare employee’s themselves and the recipients.
Now consider private charity. In this scenario, the agency gets money by the consent of their customers, the benefactors. For them to stay in business they have to succeeded in several ways; Most of the money they receive needs to make it to the people they’re trying to help, they have to show positive results, and they must stay solvent. If at any time the benefactor’s don’t like what’s going on with this business they can withdraw their funding immediately, no questions asked, and no theft permitted.
There is no fundamental advantage to a welfare state. There is no positive improvement in any way over private charity. If a welfare state “succeeds” in any way, it is only due to the infusion of insane amounts of money; impoverishing society as a whole in order to benefit the chosen few.
So instead of asking for empirical evidence, I would ask you instead: In what fundamental way is the welfare system structurally superior to a private charity? What do we gain that we can’t gain from private charity in a better way?

Why aren’t you concerned about its effectiveness and reach?
Doesn’t the entire point of your argument rest on the fact that voluntary contributions in a tax free society trumps government welfare?
Yet you go on to state that “I think there can certainly be made the case that private charities in the United States are far more efficient than Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid.
So can you or can you not demonstrate this empirically?

“… no matter how much empirical research you do, you can’t disprove the logical effects of the minimum wage.”
Which are?

“There is no need to go out and do research, or figure out if this is always the case, because you’re always going to find strange outliers where you haven’t been able to track down all the variables.”
How convenient. Is it because there is no empirical evidence to support your argument? Naturally, I expect you’ll want me to just ignore your statement (two quotes above) that private charities are more efficient that SS and Medicare.

“So instead of asking for empirical evidence, I would ask you instead: In what fundamental way is the welfare system structurally superior to a private charity? What do we gain that we can’t gain from private charity in a better way?”
So since you can’t substantiate your arguments, you’re asking me to disprove it. Smiley
Here’s the problem with that. Voluntary private charities have never existed in significant enough size to make that comparison – throughout human history. Why do you think that is so? And why do you think that will change in a tax free society?

“Because welfare is achieved through taxation, it can remain perpetually indebted, show poor results, and have high overhead.”
As I’ve noted before, U.S. welfare spending for families and children in 2014 ($264 billion) amounts to to 0.066% of the federal budget. And it’s decreasing annually relative to GDP.

Did you know that we spend $863.5 billion, three times as much, on defense?
Did you know that oil companies receive an average of $5.2 billion in subsidies annually, almost the same as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ($5.6 billion) designed to assist 14.5% Americans facing food insecurity?
Did you know that the tax rate of the 3 biggest US based oil and gas companies averages at 20%, which is lower than my rate, despite making $80 billion in profit?

Did you know that farm subsidies cost the taxpayers $14.1 billion (2012), almost twice as high as the budget for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children ($7.1 billion)?

Did you know that the $88 million worth of subsidies enjoyed by Koch Industries is almost as much as the $100 million allocated for the federal Emergency Food and Shelter budget?

Did you know that 965 of the largest corporations in the United States receive $110 billion in subsidies, larger than the entire federal Food and Nutrition Assistance Program ($107.2 billion) - which includes the above cited subprograms?

And yet you here you are, a self-professed sympathetic guy, frothing on bringing down the welfare budget to zero. And you say you are not extreme.

But you can somehow predict their behavior post tax-abolishment?
All I predict is that the same demand for charity that exists with a government will still exist without a government, and that demand will be met more efficiently by private charity.
If society neglects the poor, that is a reflection of their values, and a government could do no better. (But often does far worse.)
Using your argument, altruistic people like Bill Gates shouldn't exists at all now. Remember your argument of “diminishing marginal utility” one paragraph above? Further, you seem unaware that Rockefeller and Standard Oil actually paid enormous amount of taxes in the form of import tariffs for their equipment and concession fees - not to mention systematic kickbacks to local, state and federal officials.

Diminishing marginal utility doesn’t predict that Bill Gates wouldn’t be charitable.
I was using Diminishing Marginal Utility as a way to show that just because some people have more money does not necessarily mean that those people will be more charitable because it depends on their preferences.
The fact that Rockefeller paid taxes has nothing to do with anything I’ve said about him. The amount of taxes he paid was the important part.

Aaah. So you actually don’t know if people will make charitable contributions in a tax free environment – despite repeatedly proclaiming that people don’t contribute to charity now because they expect the government to do it. Thank you for finally admitting that, even if it was done in accident.

If I use your flawed argument about diminishing marginal utility, it actually does predict that “Bill Gates wouldn’t be charitable”. Remember what you said?

“when applied in this instance means that people certainly might not immediately put their money into charity as soon as discretionary spending comes up”

To be honest, I don’t think you really understand what diminishing marginal utility even means.

Re Rockefeller. You don’t even know how much he paid in taxes. You didn’t even compare how much he and Standard Oil spent in tariffs and what a similar company would pay today, but you are perfectly okay making a blanket statements like

“Rockefeller’s rule was he would tithe 10% of his earnings, so the benefit that he had for the poor depended heavily on him succeeding in business, and not having his income taxed into oblivion.”

Your definition of anarchy is, I'm sorry, just plain silly. Exercising my free will within the constraints of the law is not anarchy.
An Anarcho-Libertarian society is exercising free will under the judiciary of private law agencies, and the executive action of private defense agencies and individuals. In this way having “no rulers”, which is what I call “anarchy”.

No, you said.

“Every time you do something without permission from any authority but your own, you are acting under Anarchy”

That's silly, and you know it. Which is why you edited out my quote, and then wrote a different explanation.

“GDP per capita (PPP constant $) 836b 600c,e ?
Life expectancy (years) 46.0b 48.47c,g Improved
One year olds fully immunized against measles (%) 30 40h Improved
One year olds fully immunized against TB (%) 31 50h Improved
Physicians (per 100,000) 3.4 4h Improved
Infants with low birth weight (%) 16 0.3l Improved
Infant mortality rate (per 1000) 152 114.89c,g Improved
Maternal mortality rate (per 100,000) 1600 1100i Improved
Pop. with access to water (%) 29 29h Same
Pop. with access to sanitation (%) 18 26h Improved
Pop. with access to at least one health facility (%) 28 54.8k Improved
Extreme poverty (% < $1 per day) 60 43.2k Improved
Radios (per 1000) 4.0 98.5k Improved
Telephones (per 1000) 1.92d 14.9k Improved
TVs (per 1000) 1.2 3.7k Improved
Fatality due to measles 8000 5598j,m Improved
Adult literacy rate (%) 24b 19.2j Worse
Combined school enrollment (%) 12.9b 7.5a,f Worse

…Only two of the 18 development indicators in Table 1 show a clear welfare decline under stateless: adult literacy and combined gross school enrollment. Given that foreign aid was completely financing education in Somalia pre-1991, it is not surprising that there has been some fall in school enrollment and literacy…

…A substantial observed rise in consumption without an attendant rise in per capita GDP suggests an unmeasured increase in per capita income between the pre- and post-anarchy periods not reflected in the data.”

The lives of people in Somalia improved under anarchy almost across the board compared to under government, your prevaricating and sense of humor notwithstanding.
http://www.peterleeson.com/Better_Off_Stateless.pdf

Predictably, you copied those stats verbatim from self-professed libertarian Peter Leeson’s book. You didn’t even delete the question mark he placed on the huge drop in GDP – it makes me wonder if you even read it.  Anyway, did you happen to notice that he was using UNDP data from the mid-80s and comparing it against UNDP data between 15 and 20 years later? In your eyes, is that a fair comparison? Do you expect society to stand still for up to two decades? Do you expect the presence of aid workers and funding from international organizations to have zero effect in the interim period?

Shall we take a look at the numbers of post-anarchy Somalia using the latest data from UNDP's Somalia Annual Report (2013), UNDP's Somalia Human Development (2012) and CIA World Factbook (2014) and watch them blow yours away?

http://www.so.undp.org/content/dam/somalia/docs/Project_Documents/Human_Development/UNDP%20Somalia%20Annual%20Report%202013.pdf
http://www.so.undp.org/content/dam/somalia/docs/MDGs/Somalia%20Human%20Development%20Report%202012.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,-100,794
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/so.html

GDP per capita : $600 (Improved)
Life expectancy (years) :  55 (Improved)
One year olds fully immunized against measles (%): 85% (Improved)
One year olds fully immunized against TB (%): NA
Physicians: 0.04 physicians/1,000 population (Improved)
Infants with low birth weight (%): NA
Infant mortality rate (per 1000): 100.14 deaths/1,000 live births (Improved)
Maternal mortality rate (per 100,000): 1,000 deaths/100,000 live births (Improved)
Pop. with access to water (%):31.7% of population (urban, urban: 69.6%) (Improved)
Pop. with access to sanitation (%): 52% of population (Improved)
Pop. with access to at least one health facility (%): NA
Extreme poverty (% < $1 per day): 43% (Improved)
Radios (per 1000): NA, but there’s now one government-operated radio station and ten private FM radio stations
Telephones (per 1000): Total lines, 100,000 – works out to about 10 per 1000 (Improved) (There’s even stats for mobile [658,000] and internet usage now[106,000])
TVs (per 1000): NA, but there’s now one government-operated TV station and one private TV station stations 
Fatality due to measles: NA
Adult literacy rate (%): 37.8% (Improved)
Combined school enrollment (%): 78.4 (Improved)

Do you understand now why self-professed libertarians and paleolibertarians stopped using Somalia as an example after a government was put in place in 2011? Do you understand now why I was laughing when you brought Somalia up?

Sadly, corporatocracy has always acted in its own self interest, not society's.
Business’s acting in their own self-interest is the same as acting in the interest of society. The only time this is not the case is when the business quickly fails, or when the business is getting favors from government.
I would suggest getting the book “The Myth of the Robber Barons” and learning the difference been entrepreneurship and political entrepreneurship.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Myth-Robber-Barons-Business/dp/0963020315

Since when? Left unchecked, land, natural resources and communities will always be exploited by corporations. The United States and especially third world nations are now being raped and exploited by American enterprises even as you read this. The myth of trickle-down economics is not “the same as acting in the interest of society”.

Thanks for the book recommendation, but to be honest, I don’t take anything published by Young America's Foundation seriously. You can only read so much revisionist accounts and half-truths before you get sick of them.

Also, you are laboring under the impression that free market equals complete deregulation - something that the United States nor any other nation have ever tried nor experienced.
Deregulation insofar as practices don’t conflict with the Non-Aggression principle, but otherwise yes.
A good example of free trade was inter-state free trade in the United States. One of the biggest reasons the Federal Government was instituted was to “regulate interstate commerce” which actually meant to remove any kind of barriers to commerce that states might try to erect amongst each-other.  This is why when the Constitution we know today went into effect in 1789, all interstate tariffs, trade restrictions, and export taxes were banned. -Dewey, Financial History of the United States (5th ed. 1915) ch 1-3

If you’re going to quote Section 9 as an example of free trade, you should also quote Section 8 and the import tariffs designed to protect American businesses. I repeat, “you are laboring under the impression that free market equals complete deregulation - something that the United States nor any other nation have ever tried nor experienced.”

Answer to "There is absolute no justification at all to stop aiding people in need." here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=827010.msg9382245#msg9382245
None? How about stopping theft? How about if the agencies responsible aren’t actually doing their job? What if there is a better way of providing for them? What if the same entity that is suppose to be helping these people is simultaneously starving woman and children to death due to trade sanctions? What if that same entity is outright killing innocent people by the tens of thousands, calling it “collateral damage”?
I guess that’s just altruism existing outside of reality again.

You've asked me this earlier, and I've answered you.

8. The government is you, me and other people like us. They are not some alien beings or members Alex Jones' ruling 20 families. Fix the government, from outside or inside. Don't let organizations like {url=http://www.alec.org/]ALEC [/url] write bills for your Congressmen. Pressure your Congressmen to repeal acts like Citizens United which allows companies to secretly fund political campaigns. Despise the war? Make it known, like the Flower Generation. They achieved results, despite the almost universal ridicule they received.

Voting can be gamed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wIq2xeyal8
Voting didn’t stop Hitler. He was elected before the Ermächtigungsgesetz, so I’m not sure why you brought that up.
Voting didn’t stop this;
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Voting didn’t stop the fall of Rome.
Voting can’t stop the tyranny of the majority.

Voting fails time and time again because it’s subject to social pressures, conflict of interest, Condorcet’s paradox, and the ignorance of voters.

Elected officials aren’t “me”, they don’t even necessarily represent the views of the majority.

Yes, I did say that. I also explained how it can be gamed. I also explained your weak argument regarding Hitler. Not surprisingly, you once again edited out the relevant part of my quote and pretended as if I hadn’t already answered you. Why? Did you think I wouldn’t notice? Or are you just grandstanding for a silent audience?

Here, let me requote myself.

“You are resorting to Godwin's law once again. Yes, Hitler was elected. But you are intentionally ignoring the years of unchecked abuse he inflicted on the government culminating with him holding the entire Reichstag hostage while forcing the passing of Ermächtigungsgesetz, which elevated his powers to near monarchy.

Elections cannot be easily gamed - gaming it requires resource, patience and most importantly, depends on the apathy of the citizens. Case in point, you - you refuse to do anything about Citizens United, but have no problem complaining endlessly about the government. You just want the whole thing abolished in favor of some half baked theories.”

Your excuse on why “Voting fails time and time again” can also be applied to individuals and personal psychology in personal capacity.

“Elected officials aren’t “me”, they don’t even necessarily represent the views of the majority.”
I know. To you they are “overlords”,  “aristocratic lords” and some other description I forget.
In your mind, are they humans or reptilians from another galaxy?
Or are they scions of Alex Jones' twenty families that secretly control the world?
Or are they shape shifters?

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
ARadzi

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:52:00 AM

Im a bitcoiner, but its not neccessarily mean that Im a Neoliberal. Neoliberalism is under the guidance of a strong state. Bitcoins is local to the whole world, no centralized governing body.
HELP.org

Activity: 510

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 03:17:53 AM

Im a bitcoiner

I'm a mummy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjT89UfU16o

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
DumbFruit

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:35:31 AM

My question wasn't about age of consent. There is a huge difference between having sex for fun and having sex as a job.

Oh if only the world boiled down so nicely. Again, what is the age of consent?

Are you having trouble answering the question? Is perhaps the world not quite as crystal as you're trying to pretend it is?

rugrats

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:56:42 AM

Are you having trouble answering the question? Is perhaps the world not quite as crystal as you're trying to pretend it is?

I am also interested to hear you answer to @turvarya's question, DumbFruit.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
DumbFruit

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:16:49 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 06:28:49 AM by DumbFruit

please stop cherry picking my posts.
Or what?
What have you added in the remaining paragraph of this quote? I’ve read it, and a quick click to the link above will take anyone including yourself to read it to get the context. There’s nothing substantive here, so I cut it out.
I don’t like wading through massive walls of quotes just so that I can read something, and I expect others might feel the same.

I’ve asked you why there was no explosion in charitable contributions when the Bush tax cuts freed up $6.6 trillion. You said it’s difficult to make a prediction because it’s “a temporary tax credit” and “people can’t make decisions about charitable donations based on the whims of politicians that change from year to year”. Really? Thirteen years on?
Do I have a crystal ball? You will find examples that match and mismatch throughout all of history given any kind of ideology. What does that prove exactly? Nothing much. Just that societies are very complicated.
I know you don’t like this answer, but again, that’s just reality.

Of course you won’t admit it - even after presented with your own words… and are absolutely reveling in my use of the word ‘altruism’ and ‘altruistic’, completely oblivious to the fact that I am using the catchword of self-professed paleolibertarians.
This is how you defined altruism, not me;
I certainly don’t “revel” in that usage of the word.
I’ve asked you why you think corporations that consistently exploit communities will suddenly develop a social conscience? You ignored that
I didn’t respond to this because I didn’t think you meant it, honestly.
Businesses that aren’t running as political entrepreneurs benefit the poor through their own operation.
Strip away all the money, strip away all the classes, strip away all of the relationships and pretend for a second that the world is running as it is without money.
Take a look around, and then tell me what’s doing the greatest good for humanity?
You would see McDonalds, with a massive industry working day in and day out to feed people. You would see Wal-Mart stocking its shelves and making everything clean and presentable. You would see a massive network of fuel stations, trucks, and operators insuring that people that can get to where they need to go. So on and so on and so on.
What do you see with the government? An entire group of people doing almost nothing for anyone. The roads they manage are in disrepair, their mailing system is no better than any other business, they have tanks, bombs, and airplanes that are awe-inspiring wastes of time and effort. When they are used, you would see the deaths of villains, as well as helpless innocents.
Businesses are the lifeblood of society, and government is the leech.
To say that “corporations aren’t charitable” is just totally missing what corporations do every single day. They help everyone; Regardless of race, class, gender, or age. All they ask in return is about the same effort in return in the form of currency.
And again, I have no ‘overlords’. You seem very convinced that you do – I am beginning to sense that is the root of your problem.
In what way are they not overlords? They are class of people that follow different rules than we do, they decide how we should run our lives however they see fit, they’re paid more than most, they don’t do any kind of industrial work, they don’t provide any service themselves that benefits anyone, they have titles and demand respect in their presence, um.. Ya, they’re our supreme overlords alright.

Would you prefer if I called them semi-temporary overlords that get into power based on how well they promised what they couldn't deliver to as many people as possible?

I’m sure you’ve heard of “Stockholm syndrome”.
Doesn’t the entire point of your argument rest on the fact that voluntary contributions in a tax free society trumps government welfare?
I did not say that I am not concerned about it’s effectiveness and reach, I said “I am not concerned with the effectiveness of charities in terms of ‘reach’”.
Voluntary contributions are better than State welfare, but I was appealing to the logic of it rather than go through empirical data all day and still never come to any better understanding about the world.
Economists use a term called “Ceteris Paribus” because economists understand that societies are complex structures that are immune to traditional experimentation. There is no way to control the variables and rerun an experiment.
For example; I can say, “Look at the United States in the 1800’s, it had tremendous growth and innovation under little taxation and essentially no public welfare system.”
You could say, “Well that was another generation at another time, that won’t work with the culture of today.” (I know this isn’t an argument of yours.)
Strictly speaking, this isn’t “wrong”. I couldn’t disprove that by taking our culture back in time and giving it to the people of the 1800’s and see what happens.
So we’re always struggling with hypothesis without experimentation or accurate conclusions.
Austrian economics gets around this problem by looking at society from a logical perspective starting with the concept of “Human Action”. This is called Praxeology.
https://mises.org/rothbard/praxeology.pdf
No one can demonstrate it empirically in either direction with any certainty.
As I’ve noted before, U.S. welfare spending for families and children in 2014 ($264 billion) amounts to to 0.066% of the federal budget. And it’s decreasing annually relative to GDP.
Did you know that oil companies receive an average of $5.2 billion in subsidies annually, almost the same as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ($5.6 billion) designed to assist 14.5% Americans facing food insecurity?
Did you know that the tax rate of the 3 biggest US based oil and gas companies averages at 20%, which is lower than my rate, despite making $80 billion in profit?
Suppose that all of this is true, what have we proven? What if we just got lucky, and the spending is going down relative to GDP by pure coincidence?
I asked you to show me how welfare is superior. How can you guarantee that this isn’t just a fluke? I pointed out to you that Public Welfare is essentially designed to fail. If it succeeds it’s by blind coincidence, or enormous spending that is simultaneously destructive elsewhere.
Is this not in principal true;
Because welfare is achieved through taxation, it can remain perpetually indebted, show poor results, and have high overhead. For the population to do anything about it, they need to have a majority vote hampered by the votes of the welfare employee’s themselves and the recipients.
If it is true, is this not superior;
the agency gets money by the consent of their customers, the benefactors. For them to stay in business they have to succeeded in several ways; Most of the money they receive needs to make it to the people they’re trying to help, they have to show positive results, and they must stay solvent. If at any time the benefactor’s don’t like what’s going on with this business they can withdraw their funding immediately, no questions asked, and no theft permitted.
Aaah. So you actually don’t know if people will make charitable contributions in a tax free environment – despite repeatedly proclaiming that people don’t contribute to charity now because they expect the government to do it. Thank you for finally admitting that, even if it was done in accident.
Look, if I say if you jump out of a boat in the Atlantic, you’re going to get wet, will that always be true? No, you could land on a raft, or by some shocking coincidence hit a whale.
I can’t guarantee anything at all about the past or the future, I’ve just written a lot about this.
However, if 51% of people are willing to vote to tax the “charity” out of them, why would that same 51% not act of their own accord to provide charity?
Markets will always seek to fill the demand of the society, if even a small minority of people want to provide charity, markets can provide for that. Only in the instance that 51% of people want public welfare, can this happen.
If it wouldn’t happen in a free market then it certainly wouldn’t happen in a democracy. Well, as certainly as you would get wet if you jump out of a boat in the Atlantic, if you want to get that pedantic.
“when applied in this instance means that people certainly might not immediately put their money into charity as soon as discretionary spending comes up”
To be honest, I don’t think you really understand what diminishing marginal utility even means.
Do you know what “might” means? As in the difference between “might not” and “always will not”?
Predictably, you copied those stats verbatim from self-professed libertarian Peter Leeson’s book. You didn’t even delete the question mark he placed on the huge drop in GDP – it makes me wonder if you even read it.
You think it would have been more honest to edit out the question mark? Are you serious? I assure you, I intentionally left it in.

And is the empiricist suddenly against empirical data whenever it contradicts your narrative?

Do you understand now why I was laughing when you brought Somalia up?
No, could you please explain to me what looking at the country long after anarchy has ended has anything to do with the effect that anarchy had on the society?
How do you know the success in later years wasn't due to the bootstrapping of the anarchistic society before?

Thanks for the book recommendation, but to be honest, I don’t take anything published by Young America's Foundation seriously. You can only read so much revisionist accounts and half-truths before you get sick of them.
Your loss.
“You are resorting to Godwin's law once again. Yes, Hitler was elected. But you are intentionally ignoring the years of unchecked abuse he inflicted on the government culminating with him holding the entire Reichstag hostage while forcing the passing of Ermächtigungsgesetz, which elevated his powers to near monarchy.”
Again, Ermächtigungsgesetz happened after he was elected, so what’s your point?

“Elections cannot be easily gamed - gaming it requires resource, patience and most importantly, depends on the apathy of the citizens. Case in point, you - you refuse to do anything about Citizens United, but have no problem complaining endlessly about the government. You just want the whole thing abolished in favor of some half baked theories.”
It’s a good thing that no one has the resources, patience, or the citizens to do this sort of thing. Oh wait, according to you there are the citizens, most importantly, so we can scratch that one off.
It’s a good thing there’s no one with resources or patience to game the system.

DumbFruit

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:26:59 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 06:06:25 AM by DumbFruit

Why bother? What if I said the following;

I say that depends. You say, no, they should be taken out of the mine and left to starve to death in the street.

Should a 12-year old fuck a 40-year for money?
I say that depends. You say, no, they should be taken out of the brothel and left to starve to death in the street.

Of course, that kind of misrepresents your positions, but you both seem totally satisfied in misrepresenting mine.

turvarya

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:37:56 AM

I say that depends. You say, no, they should be taken out of the mine and left to starve to death in the street.

I say that depends. You say, no, they should be taken out of the brothel and left to starve to death in the street.

Of course, that kind of misrepresents your positions, but you both seem totally satisfied in misrepresenting mine.
So, it is good when a 40-year old first world country tourist goes to a third world country fucking a 12-year old because it is good for their economy?

rugrats

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 01:52:32 PM

please stop cherry picking my posts.
Or what?
What have you added in the remaining paragraph of this quote? I’ve read it, and a quick click to the link above will take anyone including yourself to read it to get the context. There’s nothing substantive here, so I cut it out.
I don’t like wading through massive walls of quotes just so that I can read something, and I expect others might feel the same.

Or what? Ooh, internet tough guy here, folks.

Or it might enhance your reputation as a sneaky poster who picks and choose sentences, segments and questions to respond to while grandstanding to an invisible audience?  In case you forget, you are having a discussion with me. You have to present your arguments to me, while defending yours. How can you achieve either when you censor or misrepresent my posts? How will you learn, evolve and grow if you choose this path?

Honestly, what do you hope to achieve with this childish attitude? Do you think this evasiveness will make anyone take you or your ideas seriously?  You know I can see this, you know others can see it as well, so why do you do it? Is your pride so enormous that you must be right even when you’re wrong?

Do I have a crystal ball? You will find examples that match and mismatch throughout all of history given any kind of ideology. What does that prove exactly? Nothing much. Just that societies are very complicated.
I know you don’t like this answer, but again, that’s just reality.
Far from it. I love this answer. Because it proves all your theories are hogwash. On one hand, you have a crystal ball on how society in a tax free environment will react to those in need, but on the other hand, you don’t have a crystal ball (never mind that we’re talking about the past and present) to explain why charitable donations did not rise when the economy is flooded with $6.6 trillion. The air is thick with hypocrisy.

Of course you won’t admit it - even after presented with your own words… and are absolutely reveling in my use of the word ‘altruism’ and ‘altruistic’, completely oblivious to the fact that I am using the catchword of self-professed paleolibertarians.
This is how you defined altruism, not me;
Err, have you forgotten Oxford’s definition I posted three days ago?

I’ve asked you why you think corporations that consistently exploit communities will suddenly develop a social conscience? You ignored that
I didn’t respond to this because I didn’t think you meant it, honestly.
Businesses that aren’t running as political entrepreneurs benefit the poor through their own operation.
Strip away all the money, strip away all the classes, strip away all of the relationships and pretend for a second that the world is running as it is without money.
Take a look around, and then tell me what’s doing the greatest good for humanity?
You would see McDonalds, with a massive industry working day in and day out to feed people. You would see Wal-Mart stocking its shelves and making everything clean and presentable. You would see a massive network of fuel stations, trucks, and operators insuring that people that can get to where they need to go. So on and so on and so on.
What do you see with the government? An entire group of people doing almost nothing for anyone. The roads they manage are in disrepair, their mailing system is no better than any other business, they have tanks, bombs, and airplanes that are awe-inspiring wastes of time and effort. When they are used, you would see the deaths of villains, as well as helpless innocents.
Businesses are the lifeblood of society, and government is the leech.
To say that “corporations aren’t charitable” is just totally missing what corporations do every single day. They help everyone; Regardless of race, class, gender, or age. All they ask in return is about the same effort in return in the form of currency.
Why wouldn’t I mean it? Your simple-minded rationalizations and irrational hatred of the government aside, I am curious by your intimate knowledge on what they want.

Just for the record, when you say corporations help everyone, does that include them opening sweat ship factories overseas to avoid paying real, livable wages to workers here?
When you say they help everyone, regardless of race, class, gender or age, does that include business owners that
(i) Do not hire people based on their race, class, gender or age?
(ii) Pay lower wages to people based on their race, class, gender or age?
(iii) Exploit entire communities for their natural resources such as timber, oil or and diamond?

In what way are they not overlords? They are class of people that follow different rules than we do, they decide how we should run our lives however they see fit, they’re paid more than most, they don’t do any kind of industrial work, they don’t provide any service themselves that benefits anyone, they have titles and demand respect in their presence, um.. Ya, they’re our supreme overlords alright.

Would you prefer if I called them semi-temporary overlords that get into power based on how well they promised what they couldn't deliver to as many people as possible?

I’m sure you’ve heard of “Stockholm syndrome”.

You can call them whatever you want. It only reflects on you and your mentality.

I did not say that I am not concerned about it’s effectiveness and reach, I said “I am not concerned with the effectiveness of charities in terms of ‘reach’”.
Voluntary contributions are better than State welfare, but I was appealing to the logic of it rather than go through empirical data all day and still never come to any better understanding about the world.
Economists use a term called “Ceteris Paribus” because economists understand that societies are complex structures that are immune to traditional experimentation. There is no way to control the variables and rerun an experiment.
For example; I can say, “Look at the United States in the 1800’s, it had tremendous growth and innovation under little taxation and essentially no public welfare system.”
You could say, “Well that was another generation at another time, that won’t work with the culture of today.” (I know this isn’t an argument of yours.)
Strictly speaking, this isn’t “wrong”. I couldn’t disprove that by taking our culture back in time and giving it to the people of the 1800’s and see what happens.
So we’re always struggling with hypothesis without experimentation or accurate conclusions.
Austrian economics gets around this problem by looking at society from a logical perspective starting with the concept of “Human Action”. This is called Praxeology.
https://mises.org/rothbard/praxeology.pdf

Do you realize how ridiculous it sounds when you make statements like “Voluntary contributions are better than State welfare”, when you yourself have conceded that you can’t empirically prove it?

“For example; I can say, “Look at the United States in the 1800’s, it had tremendous growth and innovation under little taxation and essentially no public welfare system.”
Aren’t you forgetting something? The slave labor advantage that early America had? You know, the subhumans without wages who we used to exploit the enormous natural resources of the land and as farm workers and later on, railroad and factory workers? Yeah, we had no public welfare system. Why would we? They’re not humans, right?

You bandy around terms like praxeology and ceteris paribus as if these somehow lend any weight to your arguments. Like “diminishing marginal utility” you used earlier, I don’t even think you understand what “ceteris paribus” means, judging by how you are using it.

No one can demonstrate it empirically in either direction with any certainty.
What are talking about? Federal welfare exists now. It helps the citizens. Some may argue it is not enough or not efficient, but it is there. That’s empirical evidence.
Voluntary charitable contributions as a form of a credible social safety net does not exist – it has never existed. You are arguing that in a tax free society, it will exist. The onus is on you to prove that. Fourth day on, you still can’t prove it (not that you can, of course).

Suppose that all of this is true, what have we proven? What if we just got lucky, and the spending is going down relative to GDP by pure coincidence?
I asked you to show me how welfare is superior. How can you guarantee that this isn’t just a fluke? I pointed out to you that Public Welfare is essentially designed to fail. If it succeeds it’s by blind coincidence, or enormous spending that is simultaneously destructive elsewhere.
Superior to what?

And you edited out the rest of my post on the subject.

Did you know that farm subsidies cost the taxpayers $14.1 billion (2012), almost twice as high as the budget for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children ($7.1 billion)?

Did you know that the $88 million worth of subsidies enjoyed by Koch Industries is almost as much as the $100 million allocated for the federal Emergency Food and Shelter budget?

Did you know that 965 of the largest corporations in the United States receive $110 billion in subsidies, larger than the entire federal Food and Nutrition Assistance Program ($107.2 billion) - which includes the above cited subprograms?

And yet you here you are, a self-professed sympathetic guy, frothing on bringing down the welfare budget to zero. And you say you are not extreme.

Can you see how ridiculous your fixation with welfare is, considering the existence of other more wasteful expenditures, specifically involving the corporations you idolize.

Is this not in principal true;
Because welfare is achieved through taxation, it can remain perpetually indebted, show poor results, and have high overhead. For the population to do anything about it, they need to have a majority vote hampered by the votes of the welfare employee’s themselves and the recipients.
If it is true, is this not superior;
No, it’s not true. Because
(i), blaming the government’s level of indebtedness to welfare spending (0.066%) is silly,
(ii) ‘poor results’ can be improved upon
(iii) The population includes the welfare recipients. Being poor does not mean you should not be involved in decision making process.

the agency gets money by the consent of their customers, the benefactors. For them to stay in business they have to succeeded in several ways; Most of the money they receive needs to make it to the people they’re trying to help, they have to show positive results, and they must stay solvent. If at any time the benefactor’s don’t like what’s going on with this business they can withdraw their funding immediately, no questions asked, and no theft permitted.
And if no benefactors exist in your tax free market utopia?
Edit: And if no credible number of benefactors exist in your tax free utopia? ( have to be careful, otherwise, you will leap on that sentence) Just leave the weak and sick to fend for themselves?

Look, if I say if you jump out of a boat in the Atlantic, you’re going to get wet, will that always be true? No, you could land on a raft, or by some shocking coincidence hit a whale.
I can’t guarantee anything at all about the past or the future, I’ve just written a lot about this.
However, if 51% of people are willing to vote to tax the “charity” out of them, why would that same 51% not act of their own accord to provide charity?
Markets will always seek to fill the demand of the society, if even a small minority of people want to provide charity, markets can provide for that. Only in the instance that 51% of people want public welfare, can this happen.
If it wouldn’t happen in a free market then it certainly wouldn’t happen in a democracy. Well, as certainly as you would get wet if you jump out of a boat in the Atlantic, if you want to get that pedantic.
Yup, you can’t guarantee anything. You can’t guarantee that people will voluntarily contribute time, money and resources to take care of the sick, aged, handicapped. You can’t guarantee that in your tax free utopia, people will take care of orphans. Thank you so much for admitting that. It took four days, but you finally caved. If you recall, this was your initial point of contention with me four days ago. Now that you have conceded that point, are you going to find something else to argue with me?

Do you know what “might” means? As in the difference between “might not” and “always will not”?
Oh give it, up. You have no clue what you’re talking about.

Predictably, you copied those stats verbatim from self-professed libertarian Peter Leeson’s book. You didn’t even delete the question mark he placed on the huge drop in GDP – it makes me wonder if you even read it.
You think it would have been more honest to edit out the question mark? Are you serious? I assure you, I intentionally left it in.

And is the empiricist suddenly against empirical data whenever it contradicts your narrative?
Really? You left in a question mark, but did not bother explaining what that question mark is for? Go on, explain it to me.

Do you understand now why I was laughing when you brought Somalia up?
No, could you please explain to me what looking at the country long after anarchy has ended has anything to do with the effect that anarchy had on the society?
How do you know the success in later years wasn't due to the bootstrapping of the anarchistic society before?
Anarchy only ended three years ago. Your data, using 15-20 year gap, showed fractional improvements in several areas (while ignoring the effect that foreign aid has on those numbers, and the presence of regional warlords). The data I presented showed vast improvements in just two years, which completely negates any arguments about how anarchy is better for Somalia.

Your loss. /quote]
Nah. I prefer dealing with facts.

“You are resorting to Godwin's law once again. Yes, Hitler was elected. But you are intentionally ignoring the years of unchecked abuse he inflicted on the government culminating with him holding the entire Reichstag hostage while forcing the passing of Ermächtigungsgesetz, which elevated his powers to near monarchy.”
Again, Ermächtigungsgesetz happened after he was elected, so what’s your point?
Exactly what I wrote. He was no longer operating under a democratic government. Do you disagree?

“Elections cannot be easily gamed - gaming it requires resource, patience and most importantly, depends on the apathy of the citizens. Case in point, you - you refuse to do anything about Citizens United, but have no problem complaining endlessly about the government. You just want the whole thing abolished in favor of some half baked theories.”
It’s a good thing that no one has the resources, patience, or the citizens to do this sort of thing. Oh wait, according to you there are the citizens, most importantly, so we can scratch that one off.
It’s a good thing there’s no one with resources or patience to game the system.
Your simple-minded arguments are quite breathtaking to read sometimes. You know what? Let’s go with your idea. Go and game the election presidential election in 2016, and the 2018 midterms since you make it sound so easy. Once your candidates win the Presidency and two thirds of the seats in the House and Senate, then go on to appoint supportive Justices into the Supreme Court. Then, dissolve the union, disband the government and you can have your tax free utopia.

Now excuse me while I go an address your position on sex with minors.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
rugrats

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:07:26 PM

I don't know if you really believe this, or are just merely trying to stay true to your broken philosophy, but just so you know, DumbFruit, you are coming across like a really sick and twisted person.

First of all, only pedophiles and psychopaths think it’s okay to sleep with 12-year old girls.
Secondly, only a truly evil and degenerate modern society will intentionally allow sexual commerce involving 12-year-old girls and adult males.
Thirdly, this is why social safety nets which you detest so much are important.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█