Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:01:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone coined this term yet: Bitcoin Squatting  (Read 3451 times)
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 03:55:52 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2014, 04:18:51 AM by BayAreaCoins

Anyone thing this will be a big word in the future?

I see people cry about Cyber Squatters all the time, but could we see governments try to enforce laws to prevent "Bitcoin Squatters".

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 03:57:47 AM

Define how it would apply to Bitcoin.

Buying bitcoins to sell to someone at a later date for a higher price due to artificially drying up the supply (isn't that squatting too?)

Imagine how dangerous it could potentially be if like Overstock kept 100% of their Bitcoins.  Rather than relying on Bitcoin you could potentially be relying on a major corporation.  The Bitcoin bid is so thin... if major companies believe in bitcoin I think it would be best if they would sell the coins and supply a "ass end" for bitcoin via fiat on the bid or offering private buys.  

I think it artificially inflates the price to a extent as well when people are Bitcoin squatters.  I know I don't sleep any easier knowing that so many not really impressive people cyber squat such a large percent, but part of it!

(Mind you I'm all for harder work for more pay rather than demanding people sell their property if they are holding it for profits.)

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:14:14 AM

The only Bitcoin squatters I'm aware of are with Intersango  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 04:36:47 AM

Buying bitcoins to sell to someone at a later date for a higher price due to artificially drying up the supply (isn't that squatting)

Cybersquatting

the practice of registering names, especially well-known company or brand names, as Internet domains, in the hope of reselling them at a profit.

Not sure if i would call that bitcoin squatter but i would rather refer to them as bitcoin trader
Also i don't see a link between both

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:37:15 AM

pretty much like other terms in use.. Bag holder ?

i woudl imagine that you would need to have a specific intention..
i'm thinking it would be so other can NOT have them and not for a sell at a profit later..
this other thing i think is just called trading.

am i squating on stocks of Apple shares ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:01:10 AM

Buying bitcoins to sell to someone at a later date for a higher price due to artificially drying up the supply (isn't that squatting too?)

Imagine how dangerous it could potentially be if like Overstock kept 100% of their Bitcoins.  Rather than relying on Bitcoin you could potentially be relying on a major corporation.  The Bitcoin bid is so thin... if major companies believe in bitcoin I think it would be best if they would sell the coins and supply a "ass end" for bitcoin via fiat on the bid or offering private buys.  

I think it artificially inflates the price to a extent as well when people are Bitcoin squatters.  I know I don't sleep any easier knowing that so many not really impressive people cyber squat such a large percent, but part of it!

(Mind you I'm all for harder work for more pay rather than demanding people sell their property if they are holding it for profits.)

It may be 'dangerous' now that the Bitcoin market is so small (only a few billion).  In the future, the market capitalization
will be so big that no one will be able to own that much of the market, except early adopters who are already
holding...and if they sell, it would just mean more supply temporarily.

BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 05:13:31 AM

It may be 'dangerous' now that the Bitcoin market is so small (only a few billion).  In the future, the market capitalization
will be so big that no one will be able to own that much of the market, except early adopters who are already
holding...and if they sell, it would just mean more supply temporarily.

I think it could actually steer companies away from Bitcoin in the future. 

It would be dangerous for a Overstock competitor to accept BTC if Overstock had a huge control of it.

Well the thought is they sell so that someone else who needs a way to transfer money in the world could have a chance to buy Bitcoin at a reasonable fee rather than a hugely inflated price caused by a huge corporation. 

Would the government max Overstocks gains or tax the fuck out of them if the earned over say like 10% from market increase in order to protect consumers around the globe.

Not saying I support this thought, but is is a thought.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:20:44 AM

I think you're overly concerned for naught.

Same thing can (and does to an extent) happen with Gold.
Bubbles (and reverse bubbles) occur in markets.

Deal with it  Cheesy

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:23:29 AM

Ignoring the drying up supply part, do you class any fiat you have in a bank account, "fiat squatting"?

I call it "saving".

BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 05:25:57 AM

Ignoring the drying up supply part, do you class any fiat you have in a bank account, "fiat squatting"?

I call it "saving".

But are you saving fiat because you think it will go to the moon or are you saving it because you are actively using it in your day to day life?

BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 05:28:14 AM

You seem to be kind of scared of the free market.

I'm not. Bitcoin is either superior money or it's not. The rest of the story will unfold over time and there is little you or I can do to change that.

I'm what you would call a "Bitcoin squatter". It's about the only asset on the planet that gives me complete control. I don't know why I should give that up so you can sleep easier.

Free markets make me cum my pants tbh.

I'm trying to plan on how these government dick weeds are going to handle this for consumers because I saw the issue with it back during Silk Road 1 and I could see it developing with a more legit company potentially.

I've been fucking with domains a little bit over the past month and hear about "cyber squatters" all the time. Then I was thinking what if everyone in the world uses Bitcoin (or as many as on the internet.)

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:48:09 AM

well, there is , I think, going to be a different dynamic with a scarce
asset.  That's the whole deflationary currency thing.  People will be
encouraged to save and only buy what is necessary.  Of course,
the flip side could be that there's too much saving and not
enough spending, so we don't know whether its the right
monetary policy.  Time will tell.

cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:09:58 AM

its called hoarding!!!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:22:49 AM

its called hoarding!!!
erm you mean Hodling.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 06:29:02 AM

its called hoarding!!!
erm you mean Hodling.

Squatting Cheesy

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:41:35 AM

Squatting really has an undeserved negative connotation, IMO.
What's wrong with registering a domain as an investment?

Squatting in the real world is wrong only because it was
never your house to begin with , but if you are paying
the domain registration fees, then I dont see a problem.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 06:55:05 AM

Like dollar squatters. People who buy dollars and hold them for a long time.

The usual responses of...a whole country could run their economy on 1 bitcoin.

And this:

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:03:11 AM

I call it "saving".

But are you saving fiat because you think it will go to the moon or are you saving it because you are actively using it in your day to day life?
I'm saving it because I have nothing I particularly want to buy at the moment. I'm not going to just spend it for the sake of it.
This applys to both my fiat and bitcoin savings.

lilin321

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:16:42 AM

Anyone thing this will be a big word in the future?

I see people cry about Cyber Squatters all the time, but could we see governments try to enforce laws to prevent "Bitcoin Squatters".

yes  we see  the goverments try to cnforce the BTC like China \ Russia etc.

pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:07:25 PM

People who buy and hold bitcoins are not squatters.
They are true believers.  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: