Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:04:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [survey] Is there any interest in low power FPGA mining controllers?  (Read 711 times)
antares (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 04:53:29 PM

Hi there,

I am currently working on a solution for wireless routers that allow access paid with bitcoin(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7998.40).

So I got a little bored this weekend, and I started writing a mining host for this thing, to control FPGAs.
idea is that you can connect your BFL singles to this little router, and control everything via a web interface.

Cost for this would be about 60 Dollars + shipping, (I'm in the EU) power usage is at max 12Watts (plus power for a USB hub to connect multiple FPGAs to the thing, if neccessary).

Question for me now is:

Is there any interest in such a product, given that it will not only have your FPGAs mining, but also allow you to replace the wifi router you currently have with it(means you can connect your computer/cell phone using 802.11bgn wifi, or just plug them in at one of the 4 lan ports of the device)?

As I see it, this product could drastically increase the comfort of fpga mining, and also save power(as you can replace your existing hardware with it, and wouldnt have any overhead, or just add it to your network(upstream via wifi is supported right now)). Please share your opinions.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 05:07:19 PM

I would be interested in something like this if it can handle many units (up to 50) and is relatively easy to use.  Have you started the web frontend?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 05:14:42 PM

Assuming it's preconfigured and easy to use I'd be interested in such a project, esp. if it can be bought with BTC.  Grin
antares (OP)

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 05:25:24 PM

I would be interested in something like this if it can handle many units (up to 50) and is relatively easy to use.  Have you started the web frontend?

hi,

the webinterface is currently just a basic html form to set the target data and show the stats of the last 5 minutes(shares/accepted/stale/estimated hashrate). looks really ugly, but I just made it for monitoring.
I currently do only have one BFL unit for testing with me, as soon as I get the others local I will add them too. Right now it works as plug and play:
Add a unit, it gets detected within a minute and starts mining with the preconfigured data(webif).
In theory it should be possible to drive about 100-120 units with this device(usb length limit to 127, subtract some for usb hubs).

Assuming it's preconfigured and easy to use I'd be interested in such a project, esp. if it can be bought with BTC.  Grin

I will accept bitcoin for sure. as written above, plug it into the wall, connect the BFL, go to the web if and set your RPC credentials+host, on you go.
The catch is that right now I can only confirm that it'll work with BFLs, since I dont have any other FPGA platforms.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: