Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:59:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone know anything about getting REALLY new cable/fiber ran to a rural home?  (Read 1557 times)
arklan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:55:19 AM

hey guys.

warning: i'm writing this at 3 am while very tired...

so, i currently live a bit out in the boonies. it's kinda rural in setting, on the edge of the larger dallas metroplex. and i can't even get DSL out here. i'm currently using a 3g wireless connection with verizon that thankfully has unlimited data, but maxes out around 300kbps.
no at&t u-verse or DSL, even cable tv isn't an option. we're just too far from the nearest hub thingy.

of course, when i say too far, what i've seen according to a site i can't remember now was that the houses about 100 yeards away (and possibly those across the street...) DID have cable.

so, who the hell do i talk to and how much would i have to fork over?

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:01:41 AM

In Italy,  you need just to ask to the company who own the lines, and pay for the cost of the cable from the nearest junction box (they wI'll potentiate it for free if needed) to your home. But don't expect it to be cheap, even for an hundred meters.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:50:35 AM

hey guys.

so, i currently live a bit out in the boonies. it's kinda rural in setting, on the edge of the larger dallas metroplex. and i can't even get DSL out here. i'm currently using a 3g wireless connection with verizon that thankfully has unlimited data, but maxes out around 300kbps.
no at&t u-verse or DSL, even cable tv isn't an option. we're just too far from the nearest hub thingy.

of course, when i say too far, what i've seen according to a site i can't remember now was that the houses about 100 yeards away (and possibly those across the street...) DID have cable.

I know some one that had the same problem, he was only able to access internet via 3G, which gave him max 1.5Mbit in speed.

The person invested serious money in order to get a company to connect him with fiber. It have cost him €8000+ in total.

But he now enjoys 100/100Mbit speeds, HD tv, etc... For him it was worth the investment.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:14:52 PM

hey guys.

I know some one that had the same problem, he was only able to access internet via 3G, which gave him max 1.5Mbit in speed.

The person invested serious money in order to get a company to connect him with fiber. It have cost him €8000+ in total.

But he now enjoys 100/100Mbit speeds, HD tv, etc... For him it was worth the investment.

yea, i expected that sort of thing... long term project then. which is fine - my fiance and i will probably live out our lives here...

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:45:30 PM

Best option is to call your cable company and look into what they charge.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3083

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 05:47:19 AM

I disagree.  I'd call the pizza company and order a ham extra cheese, then wait for the infrastructure to come to me.  I'm worth it.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 07:02:29 AM

that's the jacked up thing. i HAVE. cable company and at&t. way they tell it, it's simply not possible. no option, no amount of money to change that. that's why i figured i was talking to the wrong people, but i have no idea how to get beyond them.

Decksperiment

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:35:06 AM

If the cable wires across the street are unused, place a splitter across road, add your own cable, and hope it's connected at head end, or ask a neighbour to go 50/50 on whatever bill?

Best way is order minimum package that would be required for wires to be fitted, then cancel on 14th day of grace period, which get's your wire for free, now go buy new modem and call comcast or whomever your goin with?

If I had more details, I may be able to help..
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 04:16:10 PM

If the cable wires across the street are unused, place a splitter across road, add your own cable, and hope it's connected at head end, or ask a neighbour to go 50/50 on whatever bill?

Best way is order minimum package that would be required for wires to be fitted, then cancel on 14th day of grace period, which get's your wire for free, now go buy new modem and call comcast or whomever your goin with?

If I had more details, I may be able to help..

i'm gonna make some calls today to see exactly what the problem is and i'll get back to you guys.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 05:07:46 PM

i'm gonna make some calls today to see exactly what the problem is and i'll get back to you guys.
How about you talk to your neighbor, if your relationship to him/her is good.
I have relatives living down the street 100 meters who did not have internet. I installed an external antenna with a Wireless Access point/router client (I have around 30mbps), I also installed the same antenna at their end (I plugged in the cable into their USB Wireless Adapter). He enjoys about 5-6 mbps with minor delay (tests show 10ms here, they have around 30ms usually).
Keep in mind that I used custom made antennas (directional), around 20$ each.
Suggest that you pay half the bill, problem solved.  Wink
Oh and making the network hidden is a plus.  Smiley

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decksperiment

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 06:52:07 PM

How about you talk to your neighbor, if your relationship to him/her is good.
I have relatives living down the street 100 meters who did not have internet. I installed an external antenna with a Wireless Access point/router client (I have around 30mbps), I also installed the same antenna at their end (I plugged in the cable into their USB Wireless Adapter). He enjoys about 5-6 mbps with minor delay (tests show 10ms here, they have around 30ms usually).
Keep in mind that I used custom made antennas (directional), around 20$ each.
Suggest that you pay half the bill, problem solved.  Wink
Oh and making the network hidden is a plus.  Smiley

You cant hide the network from the isp, and our suggestions of course assume that max_cpe is set to more than 1, or the idea is screwed
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:08:50 PM

You cant hide the network from the isp, and our suggestions of course assume that max_cpe is set to more than 1, or the idea is screwed
Why would I hide it from the ISP? I wanted to hide it from other people in the area, I mean that's what I did.
Technically I have every right to share the connection, I had a wide area of Wi-Fi signal anyways.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decksperiment

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:14:38 PM

Lol, I was simply stating that you cannot 'hide' your wifi network, (although to the casual wifi user, you can 'appear' hidden) so assumed you would be attempting to hide it from the ISP, since most folks who know how to crack wifi would know you cannot hide an access point..?

Since what we both suggested would in fact be illegal..?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:00:29 PM

Lol, I was simply stating that you cannot 'hide' your wifi network, (although to the casual wifi user, you can 'appear' hidden) so assumed you would be attempting to hide it from the ISP, since most folks who know how to crack wifi would know you cannot hide an access point..?

Since what we both suggested would in fact be illegal..?
Exactly how is sharing my connection illegal? I've seen no law preventing this in my country, nor have I had any issues since I've done this.
Maybe I'm just running one of my servers in their home, since I have no room. They can't do much about it.  Smiley

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decksperiment

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:31:33 PM

Our suggestion is illegal, you dont come into it.. get a grip.. if the isp knew he was paying his neighbour half bat for internet, guaranteed the isp would be onto it.. 
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 09:12:47 PM

Our suggestion is illegal, you dont come into it.. get a grip.. if the isp knew he was paying his neighbour half bat for internet, guaranteed the isp would be onto it.. 
You're making it quite hard to understand what you're talking about.
Well my suggestion works too, should be legal. This is why it is better then. I know about splitting the cables, I've done that on my balcony due to a bad initial set-up. The ISP shouldn't take action unless they find out that you're paying him (I do not see a way for them to find out though).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decksperiment

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:15:50 PM

You're making it quite hard to understand what you're talking about.
Well my suggestion works too, should be legal. This is why it is better then. I know about splitting the cables, I've done that on my balcony due to a bad initial set-up. The ISP shouldn't take action unless they find out that you're paying him (I do not see a way for them to find out though).

I totally agree.. I prob worded it wrong re: illegal, but isp's would defo say something if they found out Wink
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:31:19 PM

turns out there's another service provider which covers where i am. suddenlink.  never heard of them...call em up, basically, they said they could provide cable tv, but not internet, because of where i am... when i asked what it would take to fix that, the guy said, "another company."

sigh.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 09:37:31 PM

turns out there's another service provider which covers where i am. suddenlink.  never heard of them...call em up, basically, they said they could provide cable tv, but not internet, because of where i am... when i asked what it would take to fix that, the guy said, "another company."

sigh.
That is strange. It's usually the provider who supplies access. If they are not that far away, like you said, you should be able to pay to get access.
Can I get the name of this company?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Decksperiment

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:49:52 PM

sigh.

If they can provide cable tv, I can instruct how to get (free) internet via said cable.. best paying for it though Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: