Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 01:41:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need shellshock patch for offline machine with armory wallet?  (Read 1317 times)
jwputrl (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 02:22:09 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2014, 02:50:48 PM by jwputrl

Hi
As a (total) noob wanting bitcoin but worried about security, a couple months ago I wiped an old laptop, turned off wifi, installed ubuntu v14 from usb iso, updated with apt-get and installed an armory offline wallet.  Tried out the off line tx signing with usb stick etc, all great.  Been sending coin to the wallet since but not done any tx from it.
Today was thinking of doing some more tx from the offline wallet, mainly to check I still know to do it (yes I do have paper backup too).  But I remembered this shellshock malware that hit the news since I last touched the machine.
Do I need to worry about this (or other) malware - eg patching, presumably with apt-get?  Obviously the machine is offline, and only do tx's by usb.
Many thx for any help.
PRab

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 06:47:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about patching your offline machine. The easiest way to patch the offline machine is to put it online, but while it is only you are exposed to hackers.

The shellshock bug only effects servers that let un-sanitized programs use bash, so for an offline machine to get hit with this vulnerability, you would need to bring the payload over on a USB stick yourself and execute it. At that point, there are much easier exploits than shellshock to attack the computer.

IMO, the only time you should update your offline machine is if you want to use a new version of Armory on it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: