Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 135 BTC Stolen from my Deepbit account!!!!!!!!  (Read 29028 times)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 03:52:58 PM

So does anyone know how I can contact the deepbit Admin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:54:02 PM

Ask Deepbit about IP of people who logged on your account.

+1 agreed

Any decent site keeps a record of IP addresses accessing each account.

And do not store bitcoins at a pool server, store them in your own, secure wallet!

If you have a dynamic IP don't forget to log the IP of you own machine before it changes.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 03:57:11 PM

All I have to say is look for somebody who had physical access to the computer where you logged onto deepbit(and no, when you close the web browser it does not log you out of deepbit) or someone who had the access to the computer from which the mining was done.
Although it's trivial to get username/password for anyone on the network, I doubt anyone at random would be trying that stuff. It's someone from your circle

Any security cameras where the computers are?

This makes most sense. Before brute-forcing passwords someone must know login email address and site. it would seem too coincidental for a random attack that some hacker could match site/login/pass without any inside info to just steal single account.
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:00:08 PM

Maybe try to send PM to [Tycho], he seems to be the owner of this service:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3889.0

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:07:00 PM

Maybe try to send PM to [Tycho], he seems to be the owner of this service:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3889.0

PM Sent!

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:09:54 PM

I suggest posting something in his thread here.  He's usually pretty quick to respond to important questions.  Also, sorry this happened to you, but thanks for the heads up.  My deepbit password is now over 20 characters long with caps and symbols.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
zoro

Activity: 226

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:22:36 PM

if you are using any kind of remote access like teamviewer ,vnc, etc, it is likely that someone could remotely login to your pc!

"killer app" of BTC = MasterCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.0Mastercoin(A new protocol layer on top of Bitcoin)
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:22:59 PM

My deepbit password is now over 20 characters long with caps and symbols.
That just shortened the time to crack now didn't it?
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:26:21 PM

if you are using any kind of remote access like teamviewer ,vnc, etc, it is likely that someone could remotely login to your pc!
We were not using anything like this.

proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:28:01 PM

How so?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:30:19 PM

How so?

Because now you don;t have to waste time searching all the combinations between 1 and 20 characters.

BitcoinBonus

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:35:20 PM

I hope that people can build extensions of block explorers to watch where these funds get sent and when they get sent to a known entity we can slowly backtrack and narrow down who the scoundrel was who did this.  Bitcoin isn't anonymous as people think---Its got Lojack built in.  Using some good old fashioned Link Analysis, thefts on a grand scale can be monitored.   I'd like to see something built into the Bitcoin user interface that would check a database of reported stolen bitcoins and send an alert when some were received from an address in the database.  We can all be Big Brother collectively.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:42:25 PM

I hope that people can build extensions of block explorers to watch where these funds get sent and when they get sent to a known entity we can slowly backtrack and narrow down who the scoundrel was who did this.  Bitcoin isn't anonymous as people think---Its got Lojack built in.  Using some good old fashioned Link Analysis, thefts on a grand scale can be monitored.   I'd like to see something built into the Bitcoin user interface that would check a database of reported stolen bitcoins and send an alert when some were received from an address in the database.  We can all be Big Brother collectively.

I think that would make merchants hesitant to accept Bitcoins.  If I were a merchant and had to worry that people's payments had their own paparazzi behind them, that might just make it not worth my while.

The best thing we can do as a community is perhaps buy some memory from him if we need it (or fiber transceivers as he seems to be selling), and be super vigilant down the road, as this stuff is only bound to increase.  More people should be practicing using offline wallets, as keeping significant sums on third party websites or even on networked computers is just begging for eventual problems.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:46:34 PM

How so?

Because now you don;t have to waste time searching all the combinations between 1 and 20 characters.

Well, sure.  But you've still got to search through at least all the 20 character combinations and the password is longer than that so it's still a pretty big task.  But, yes, you're right, it'll take less time.  Less time to make a realistic difference?  Probably not.

Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 04:51:59 PM

A question: Did you use the same password for deepbit login as for submitting the shares from mining client?

Because if did, then anyone who can spy on your HTTP headers (local network users) then can see your password, too.

On deepbit, you can set another password for worker (even the first), but by default, the passwords are the same. Not safe IMHO.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:53:53 PM

How so?

Well, sure.  But you've still got to search through at least all the 20 character combinations and the password is longer than that so it's still a pretty big task.  But, yes, you're right, it'll take less time.  Less time to make a realistic difference?  Probably not.

Yes it will. With some clever social engineering, dumpster diving and few good gpus in skilled hands your password would probably be broken in couple of months if not sooner
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:56:46 PM

How so?

Well, sure.  But you've still got to search through at least all the 20 character combinations and the password is longer than that so it's still a pretty big task.  But, yes, you're right, it'll take less time.  Less time to make a realistic difference?  Probably not.

Yes it will. With some clever social engineering, dumpster diving and few good gpus in skilled hands your password would probably be broken in couple of months if not sooner

Well, I guess I've just made myself a target and I'm as good as screwed.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 04:58:08 PM

We are not talking about you, but about security practices and how dumb some people are revealing their personal data on public forums without even realizing it
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:00:34 PM

We are not talking about you, but about security practices and how dumb some people are revealing their personal data on public forums without even realizing it

But you are talking about me since I'm the dummy who revealed the personal data that my deepbit password is over 20 characters long.  Now, in a matter of months, if not sooner, any sufficiently crafty scriptkiddie could have access to my deepbit account.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 05:01:32 PM

But you are talking about me since I'm the dummy who revealed the personal data that my deepbit password is over 20 characters long.  Now, in a matter of months, if not sooner, any sufficiently crafty scriptkiddie could have access to my deepbit account.

You must be a genius
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: