Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:42:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to call 0.001 BTC? (5 BTC Bounty)  (Read 63875 times)
vrotaru

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 09:14:23 AM

Mibit, short and sweet!

Well, while we are at it, let's reserve µbit (myu-bit) for millionth part of a bitcoin,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBonus (OP)

Activity: 46

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 09:42:41 AM

Here are submissions so far, in roughly reverse alphabetical order:

zibit

ubitcoin

TriBit (2)

Tiny-Bit

tidbit

tBit - pronounced tee-Bit; t as in one thousandth of a BitCoin

nibit

Nibble

nanocoin

Milth

millie(s)

millicoin,milicoin (9)

millicent

milliBitty

Millibitcoin

millibit,milibit (15)

Millebit

millcoin

MillBit

MiliBit

miliBC

milbtc

MilBits

mil

Microcoin

mic

mBTC og 1000-parts

mBitcoin

m1, 2m etc.

Little Penny Bitcoin

Litbit

LilBit  (2)

Kris

groat

farthing

do bit - at this small size it's no longer a question of value but principles - what will you do in the world with a tiny little influence?

credit

Bity

BittyCoin

BittyCent

bitty bitlet (then 0.01 is a bitlet, then 0.01 is a bit, then 1.0 is a bitcoin)

Bitty (plural form: Bitties)

bitty

Bitping

bitney

bitmillit

BitMillen

10 satoshi's

BitMill, Bitmil - (10)

Bitmi

bitly

Bitlet, bitlit (4)

bithun

Bithou

BitDots

Bitcoin atom

Bitchit

bitcent (2)

BitByte  (2)

bitbit (3)

Bitbat

Bit-Tot

Bit-Mini

bit-hundredth

bit

BB

bantam bit

BajtCent

Amir

bitpence

bitk, pronounced bit-kay. Simple, short, and 1000 bitk would be one bitcoin.

bitillion

I'd encourage people to look over all of these and continue the discussion about what is the most useful name.  Spelling isn't so relevant for now, its the phonetic sound I'm curious about, I've doubled up those suggestions that have the same sound.
BitcoinBonus (OP)

Activity: 46

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 10:15:01 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2011, 10:32:59 AM by BitcoinBonus

Mine is the Do bit
Ahem

AntiVigilate suggested:
"do bit - at this small size it's no longer a question of value but principles - what will you do in the world with a tiny little influence?"

I really like this suggestion, it indicates and celebrates the fact that the Bitcoin community is an open source community that relies on the contributions and efforts of its members. Its in many ways a "Do-ocracy".

One of the more recent criticisms of Bitcoin is that it is a scam that only benefits only the miners and initial users.   This will turn out to be the case if the community of people using Bitcoin don't continue "Doing" thing --writing shopping cart software, making web applications that allow for transacting, trading, managing, and using Bitcoin, preferably in an open source manner.  Other ways to contribute include advertising Bitcoin, learning about it and explaining it to others,  working to defend Bitcoin's legality, making it easy to generate tax records as needed for the use of Bitcoin,  and keeping Bitcoin's image and value as something that is useful for a wide range of transactions strong.     I'm not too worried about finding a few people who will use Bitcoin, but I am concerned that there could be a general consensus by many people that Bitcoin is a "Bad Thing" and shouldn't be used at all.

I think its important for people to remember that with using Bitcoin comes a responsibility for sharing the effort of building out many legitimate uses for Bitcoin and allow it  'To give us control over our finances by establishing a stable, secure, global, "democratic" currency.' to quote Gavin.  This won't happen without a lot of "do"-ing by many people who want to be Bitcoin succeed.  To that end, I think that to name 0.001 of a Bitcoin a "Do Bit" and even publicize it as to why we (might) choose this name, to serve as a reminder of service for the collective good, as seen by the many individuals in this Open Source project would mean a lot and look good for this effort.

People are naturally going to ask for a long time where whatever the name for 0.001 Bitcent ends up coming from. While we could just use a name based on existing scientific naming conventions, if we take an opportunity to add more cultural value to the name, we can make the social aspects of Bitcoins stronger.

I know that I'm being over optimistic that we here in this forum might actually be able to come up with it - Thanks for the point about the Network Effect, ShadowOfHarbringer.  But if we had a chance to set it, and have the back story about why many people started calling 0.001 bitcoins "Do Bits", that is, to encourage users to "Do things of value to the community of Bitcoin users, based on principles of OSS & Do-Ocracy", I think we'll be able to put off most of those who see Bitcoin as a scam.  I don't want people to "Do" blindly, or just because they'll get a good investment out of Bitcoin, I want them to "Do" because they see the value of an open source based financial system and the gifts of transparency, ease of transaction and more that it offers.

Perhaps there is another name which does an even better job of summing up the culture and values of the Bitcoin community other than Do Bit (DoBit)--I'd like to hear about it. 

Sorry if my idealism is uncomfortable, I'd be interested to hear what others think.  Thanks for the great suggestion, Anti Vigilante!   

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 10:25:02 AM

I vote for "mil".

It's short and sweet.  It's technically correct.  It's ambiguous enough that Americans won't immediately think of it as having very little value.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
kuba_10

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:36:50 PM

Maybe "Bick" to remind "Buck"?
But on second thoughts, it sounds a bit like "dick".

EN<->PL, GER->EN, GER->PL TRANSLATIONS? Send a PM, will do it cheaper than others!
If someone gets kind: 1CtV2wKbQGFe1sfVPDYGroGSxehNfd1bHN
MacFall

Activity: 84

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 05:48:42 PM

I can't say "bitbat" with a straight face.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 06:27:34 PM

Mine is the Do bit
Ahem

AntiVigilate suggested:
"do bit - at this small size it's no longer a question of value but principles - what will you do in the world with a tiny little influence?"

I really like this suggestion, it indicates and celebrates the fact that the Bitcoin community is an open source community that relies on the contributions and efforts of its members. Its in many ways a "Do-ocracy".

One of the more recent criticisms of Bitcoin is that it is a scam that only benefits only the miners and initial users.   This will turn out to be the case if the community of people using Bitcoin don't continue "Doing" thing --writing shopping cart software, making web applications that allow for transacting, trading, managing, and using Bitcoin, preferably in an open source manner.  Other ways to contribute include advertising Bitcoin, learning about it and explaining it to others,  working to defend Bitcoin's legality, making it easy to generate tax records as needed for the use of Bitcoin,  and keeping Bitcoin's image and value as something that is useful for a wide range of transactions strong.     I'm not too worried about finding a few people who will use Bitcoin, but I am concerned that there could be a general consensus by many people that Bitcoin is a "Bad Thing" and shouldn't be used at all.

I think its important for people to remember that with using Bitcoin comes a responsibility for sharing the effort of building out many legitimate uses for Bitcoin and allow it  'To give us control over our finances by establishing a stable, secure, global, "democratic" currency.' to quote Gavin.  This won't happen without a lot of "do"-ing by many people who want to be Bitcoin succeed.  To that end, I think that to name 0.001 of a Bitcoin a "Do Bit" and even publicize it as to why we (might) choose this name, to serve as a reminder of service for the collective good, as seen by the many individuals in this Open Source project would mean a lot and look good for this effort.

People are naturally going to ask for a long time where whatever the name for 0.001 Bitcent ends up coming from. While we could just use a name based on existing scientific naming conventions, if we take an opportunity to add more cultural value to the name, we can make the social aspects of Bitcoins stronger.

I know that I'm being over optimistic that we here in this forum might actually be able to come up with it - Thanks for the point about the Network Effect, ShadowOfHarbringer.  But if we had a chance to set it, and have the back story about why many people started calling 0.001 bitcoins "Do Bits", that is, to encourage users to "Do things of value to the community of Bitcoin users, based on principles of OSS & Do-Ocracy", I think we'll be able to put off most of those who see Bitcoin as a scam.  I don't want people to "Do" blindly, or just because they'll get a good investment out of Bitcoin, I want them to "Do" because they see the value of an open source based financial system and the gifts of transparency, ease of transaction and more that it offers.

Perhaps there is another name which does an even better job of summing up the culture and values of the Bitcoin community other than Do Bit (DoBit)--I'd like to hear about it. 

Sorry if my idealism is uncomfortable, I'd be interested to hear what others think.  Thanks for the great suggestion, Anti Vigilante!   

Bounty

Thx - Speaking of which, 2000 do bits for a good C programming cheat sheet (multiple (gnu extensions preferred). I need to get out of my fear of PCRS (Program, Compile, Run, Sacrifice virgin routine). It's just that I've seen C code and the amount of bootstrapping for doing file reading and networking is um, hideous. Assembly language is less insane. Not joking. Still it's a stumbling block I picked up because of a learning disability I finally resolved so I'd like to crack that glass ceiling once and for all.

I mispell and leave out syntax (Kate editor / Emacs both help but I still have jitters). I suppose this reveals my Kryptonite but I don't care. I'm asking for help and I promise to return the favor with some new bitcoin software.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
wb3

Activity: 112

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 06:50:35 PM

Cubit as in Cube Bit as in Cube it. Smiley

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 12:01:56 AM

Cubit as in Cube Bit as in Cube it. Smiley

Spoken it sounds too much like "qubit" which will eventually be confusing once quantum computers are a reality.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
AntiVigilante

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 12:55:21 AM

I can't say "bitbat" with a straight face.

I'm a meme hacker. I use cider war and cider terriblism to cause fits and seizures in ppl who try to scare us about computers.

I can't beat bitbat for explosive power.

Stolen.

Still I like the do bit as a name. And I put up a bounty for 2000 do bits. What will you do in the world with a tiny little influence?

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 01:06:55 AM

Fermented apples?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
technowizard12

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 01:20:01 AM

How about a Myte?

Combination of Milli and Byte
cschmitz

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 01:37:21 AM

There are pretty negative and wrong statements on BTC in the press, suggesting there is an actual shortage of granularity in the payment system, quoting techcrunch: "And, crucially, no more than 21 million will ever exist.".
To overcome this big hurdle of perception i decided to suggest a complete SI-style renaming system in the dev forum, heres a link: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9299.0

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
MacFall

Activity: 84

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 02:12:04 AM

I can't beat bitbat for explosive power.

Well, you're right, but I think it has such memetic potential because it's an Inherently Funny Word, like "shoehorn" or "platypus".

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
smartazz

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 02:23:31 AM

I'm still advocating for bitmill for several reasons.
1. People can easily attribute BITmill to the bitcoin service.
2. It follows the pattern of BITcoins BITcent, blah blah blah.
3. A mill is a legit piece of currency within the Unites States.  Gas prices have a mill price at the end of the price.
4.  It flows together in a phonic manner.

lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 02:38:40 AM

The reason I liked tidbit when I came up with it because tidbit is already a word that indicates a small quantity that manages to not be insignificant (ie it reveals enough) and I thought it would be cool that anyone who wanted to start with bitcoin could go to the faucet or similar site in the future and get a few tidbits to start their journey. just a couple of tidbits and they would feel compelled to know more / would go deeper into the bunny hole. After putting enough tidbits together they would have a new understanding (or a whole bitcoin).

jancsika

Activity: 80

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 04:20:04 AM

1 = bitcoin
0.1 = little bit or "little"
0.01 = little bitty or "bitty"
0.001 = itsy bitsy or "itsy"

Each is aurally distinct.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 05:01:16 AM

1 BTC = 10 MegaSatoshis? (just checking if my math is right)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 04:45:58 PM

Tiago - Nope, 1 BTC = 100 megacreds / megasatoshis

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 08:31:23 PM

Here are submissions so far, in roughly reverse alphabetical order:

< list >

I'd encourage people to look over all of these and continue the discussion about what is the most useful name.  Spelling isn't so relevant for now, its the phonetic sound I'm curious about, I've doubled up those suggestions that have the same sound.

You didn't include my "coinbit" Sad

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: