Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:57:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to call 0.001 BTC? (5 BTC Bounty)  (Read 63889 times)
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 05:10:33 PM

I think that instead of coming up with names for 0.001 and 0.000001 bitcoins we should seriously consider changing the value of 1 bitcoin. I propose that what now is 0.000001 bitcoins becomes the new bitcoin. If we want bitcoin to be widely used we have start thinking about how to make things simple for Average Joe. So, a couple of reasons why this would be better:

• Bitcoin sounds like a small amount.
  • While milli- and micro- is very simple to understand for a scientific community, "a thousand" and "a million" is understood more intuitively by Average Joe. So instead of having "a microbitcoin", "a millibitcoin" and "a bitcoin" in everyday use it would be better to have "a bitcoin", "a thousand bitcoins" and "a million bitcoins".
  • No currency that I have used have smaller amounts than 0.01 main units. Using the new definition of a bitcoin the smallest possible amount would be just that, 0.01 bitcoins.

I don't think that it's too late to make a change like this.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:42:10 PM

I think that instead of coming up with names for 0.001 and 0.000001 bitcoins we should seriously consider changing the value of 1 bitcoin. I propose that what now is 0.000001 bitcoins becomes the new bitcoin. If we want bitcoin to be widely used we have start thinking about how to make things simple for Average Joe. So, a couple of reasons why this would be better:

• While milli- and micro- is very simple to understand for a scientific community, "a thousand" and "a million" is understood more intuitively by Average Joe. So instead of having "a microbitcoin", "a millibitcoin" and "a bitcoin" in everyday use it would be better to have "a bitcoin", "a thousand bitcoins" and "a million bitcoins".
  • No currency that I have used have smaller amounts than 0.01 main units. Using the new definition of a bitcoin the smallest possible amount would be just that, 0.01 bitcoins.

I would have to agree, but if we are going to move the decimal point, we need to do it sooner rather than later.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
mobydick

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:47:55 PM

Instead of milbit, what about: milfbit
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:48:48 PM

Instead of milbit, what about: milfbit

The standard going rate, then?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:56:12 PM

While milli- and micro- is very simple to understand for a scientific community, "a thousand" and "a million" is understood more intuitively by Average Joe.

I hate having to agree with you, but the recent accident in Fukushima is a good example. Both mass media and the general public were completely unable to understand and communicate the difference between micro and milli - leading to headlines that there had been increases in radiation because TEPCO stated "14 microsievert" when they had previously said "0.6 millisievert" etc.

Falkvinge expressed similar views:

{amount}[k|m|u]

The amount 0.00141 could have been better written as 1.41m (1.41 millibitcoin), or 1410u for those who prefer (1,410 microbitcoin). It makes it much more readable. Readability is strongly preferable. (The k prefix works similarly for kilo and will probably only be used to buy mansions and luxury sports cars. I do not foresee a need for a mega prefix.)

http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/06/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-two-transactions/
Findeton

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:51:30 PM

0.000001 old btc = 1 btc (so we'll still use "bitcoin", we'll just have  1e6 times more bitcoins)
0.001 old btc  =  1 000 btc = 1K bt = kilobit
1 old btc = 1 000 000 btc  = 1M bt =  megabit
1 000 old btc = 1 000 000 000 btc = 1G bt = gigabit
1 000 000 old btc = 1 000 000 000 000 btc= 1T bt = terabit

You use bitCOINS when it's a small number, but when it's a big number you don't use coins.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:32:22 PM

I'm completely with D.H.

all these prefixes and suffixes are a mess to handle by average Joe.

I've never seen a currency with more than two decimal places; how are you supposed to pay for you daily loaf of bread or newspaper?

How much for that .... (you name it)? 

You need to answer such a question with something which can be spelled easily; try to ask your grandma for some coins, are you going to ask her a few milli/nano something (not to mention a few btches)?

So, the bitcoin HAS to be equivalent to 100 satoshis (or 1000, if we want to use some of those decimal places), and from there we simply go up until we reach 1 million (new) bitcoins where we simply remove the decimal place which is there now and keep going up.

1 billion new bitcoins == 1,000.00 current bitcoins
1 trillion new bitcoins == 1,000,000.00 current bitcoins

and so on .

my 2s  (satoshis) Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:38:13 PM

0.000001 old btc = 1 btc (so we'll still use "bitcoin", we'll just have  1e6 times more bitcoins)
0.001 old btc  =  1 000 btc = 1K bt = kilobit
1 old btc = 1 000 000 btc  = 1M bt =  megabit
1 000 old btc = 1 000 000 000 btc = 1G bt = gigabit
1 000 000 old btc = 1 000 000 000 000 btc= 1T bt = terabit

You use bitCOINS when it's a small number, but when it's a big number you don't use coins.

I'm sure that's what the guy who bought the 10K BTC pizza was thinking, too.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:03:45 AM

2.1 quadrillion satoshis is a lot of supply ... what if we have inflation? (just kidding folks)

my money is on the satoshi ... 100 satoshis to the bitbuck and go from there.

Although it doesn't really matter what joe average thinks or if he eve needs to, the computer does it all for him.

d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:15:59 AM

1 Coin = 10 bents = 100 cents = 1,000 dents = 10,000 fents = 100,000 gents

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Urquan

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:43:05 AM

Bitbit.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:46:10 AM

Bitbit.

thanks for the vote of confidence. As I said when I posted it, it has the advantage of sounding like toddler food or a baby dinosaur.

Urquan

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:49:55 AM

Bitbit.

thanks for the vote of confidence. As I said when I posted it, it has the advantage of sounding like toddler food or a baby dinosaur.

yeah. It' s also very simple.
drst

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:02:26 PM

throwing my hat in the ring: bitprom. or bithou.

(cause it's a thousandth)

just my 00.2 btc's (;

someotherguy

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:06:20 PM

D.H. nailed it here.  This should be the new standard.

+1
ZombieDeity

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:17:54 PM

Just call it what it is -- a tenth of a Bitcent.  Why does it have to be dumbed down?  I don't want to trade in BTC with morons anyway.  If you can't understand decimal places, gtfo imho.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 10:37:44 PM

D.H. nailed it here.  This should be the new standard.

+1

Perhaps the Wiki should be updated to reflect this approach? https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#What_do_I_call_the_various_denominations_of_Bitcoins?

niemivh

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:32:17 PM

It should be called an "ibbit" or "ibit".

Pronounced ib-et, rhymes with ribbit - the sound a frog makes.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:37:53 PM

No! It should be called litllebit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GllEDACUbNo

Damn baby all I need is just a littlebit
Kolbas

Activity: 342

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:57:15 PM

"cent" or "milli" sound like something small. People may feel uncomfortable buying 1 bit"cent" for 5 dollars, for example.
I like "Gavin" (not "Gav", Gav sounds a little funny in Russian). Or maybe think about some other human names. First of all, it must be beautiful and human-oriented, not necessarily compared with some bitcoiner.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: