Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:05:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Save The Planet With Bitcoins  (Read 2197 times)
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 07:02:25 PM

yup, remember "Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors – From MIT’s Dr. Josef Oehmen"?

guess the events just passed too quickly for a supportive thread on skeptics.stackexchange  :·>

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:15:39 PM

Fukushima disaster happened, and the world hasn't ended. Chernobyl blew up, and the world did not end either. In fact, between these two nuclear disasters (that did cause evident damage and even death), all of us were exposed on everyday basis to the fallout from coal burning plants worldwide - from mercury to uranium to thorium - which again caused damage and even death, and to the much greater extent than those two nuclear accidents combined. Again, the world is still here. Throughout the history there have been nuclear blasts, volcanoes, pandemics, stupidity, meteorites, floods, enormous fires, landscape-changing earthquakes, industrial disasters, yet life goes on. My message to OP: have a drink and don't worry. Do what you can to make things better, but don't try to do more than that.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:37:53 PM

Fukushima disaster happened, and the world hasn't ended. Chernobyl blew up, and the world did not end either. In fact, between these two nuclear disasters (that did cause evident damage and even death), all of us were exposed on everyday basis to the fallout from coal burning plants worldwide - from mercury to uranium to thorium - which again caused damage and even death, and to the much greater extent than those two nuclear accidents combined. Again, the world is still here. Throughout the history there have been nuclear blasts, volcanoes, pandemics, stupidity, meteorites, floods, enormous fires, landscape-changing earthquakes, industrial disasters, yet life goes on. My message to OP: have a drink and don't worry. Do what you can to make things better, but don't try to do more than that.

A good way to get exceedingly wealthy is to trade millions of personal tragedies (cancers, birth defects, etc) distributed throught a large population for a concentrated reward that ends up in the pockets of you and a small group of similar friends.  For an added bonus, reduce down the tax burden (aka 'financial violence') to zero, or even better, get the plebs to subsidize you with their taxes.  Such a sweet deal, when achieved, is well worth fighting to maintain.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:10:43 PM

A good way to get exceedingly wealthy is to trade millions of personal tragedies (cancers, birth defects, etc) distributed throught a large population for a concentrated reward that ends up in the pockets of you and a small group of similar friends.  For an added bonus, reduce down the tax burden (aka 'financial violence') to zero, or even better, get the plebs to subsidize you with their taxes.  Such a sweet deal, when achieved, is well worth fighting to maintain.

Good point, though it just struck me that this is a chaotic thread that in reality has nothing to do with Bitcoin. I'm out of here.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bitlizard (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 01:39:33 AM

As the OP of this thread, I will admit right now that almost nothing could be more unrelated to bitcoin than fukushima's troubled reactor 4 so I apologise. I think I really just wanted to get some opinions and insight from the really smart people in the bitcoin community on the problem. looks like the bitcoin hive mind has uses beyond just contemplating future bitcoin applications.   

If there is a way for me or an admin to move this whole thread elsewhere then that should be be done as it does not belong here. Though I would like to continue this conversation else where. Thanks for the great comments.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 09:28:57 PM

3) The best way to prevent this from happening, is to convince the world to change its monetary system so quickly that Bitcoins become extremely valuable, and then we just convince everyone holding Bitcoins to donate a little bit, and then those funds will be used to clean up the site quickly and take appropriate safety precautions. This is beyond absurd.

So we have Unlikely + Unlikely + Beyond Absurd = good idea???

I can only assume this was a well-presented joke and as such it is pretty funny Smiley

Just imagine there would be a single place, like a forum, where the worlds richest, wealthiest, smartest, etc. would congregate and collectively decide to use their power for any specific purpose!
These people could then discuss their ideas and plans and everybody could be part of it.
Would such thing be really that absurd? I hope you see where I'm trying to go here...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: