Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:02:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BiPolarVPN - Free VPN service!  (Read 3710 times)
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 05:44:22 PM

+1 for Germany

*ducks and hopes nobody notices*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 06:06:25 PM

If you use Network Manager in linux, you do not need to install the software. There is a nice description on how to make the necessary certificates and key from the opvn file at the link supplied.

Works fine.

Thanks again Bob.

http://naveensnayak.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/ubuntu-openvpn-with-ovpn-file/

I have used another vpn tool for linux as well that will import the opvn file but the name escapes me.  Best to have Network Manager handle it if possible.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
BiPolarBob (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 302

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:37:26 PM

Ok I'm caught up with my PM's now. Everyone who sent me a message should now have access Smiley
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:09:44 AM

Ok I'm caught up with my PM's now. Everyone who sent me a message should now have access Smiley

Got a question about that , I pm'ed you , please answer back

Invullx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:11:38 AM

Why not junior members and newbies? I had a member account but it's banned from posting for 2 weeks so... Had to use this newbie account..
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:13:29 AM

BiPolarVPN is da bomb!

Thanks, BiPolarBob - you rock! Grin

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:14:43 AM

Why not junior members and newbies? I had a member account but it's banned from posting for 2 weeks so... Had to use this newbie account..

Most likely because people can reach newbie in ... no time. just create a new account and voilà !

Invullx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:23:07 AM

Most likely because people can reach newbie in ... no time. just create a new account and voil? !

I think you do have to wait something like 20 minutes to get out of brand new, right?
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 08:26:51 PM

What are the benefits of using a vpn?
Simple question, but why not just use your own internet?
I know you can use it for region restricted content, but what else?

Your IP address identifies you on the internet. It will tell those you are connecting to your geographical location, and your ISP will have a record of who you are. So, let's say you copy some music album you're not allowed to copy over torrent. There might be companies working for the music industry that records all the ip-addresses of torrent-clients, and monitors traffic. Later on, they can use this information to get a legal order to get your real life identity from your ISP, based on the ip-adress.

However, if you use a VPN, they will have the IP of the VPN, and if this is an operator in an obscure jurisdiction, that's not even logging your activity, it will be a big hassle for the law firm identifying who you really are, so they will most likely drop trying to figure that out, and they will go for the low hanging fruits, that is residential users will get slapped with a substantional fine, and thus giving revenue to the law firm and music industry.

Likewise, if you give a very negative review online of some company, and the owner of that company is an ass, he can go pretty much the same route, and learning your identity.

In addition, Google and other companies will collect and store information about your surfing habbits, so if you just surfed on electric tools sites, to see what you want to buy for you next project, once you want to relax and see some funny movies on youtube, you get served commercials for electric tools.. And also, if you happend to surf some 'questionable' websites, and your sister later on uses your computer, there will be agressive ads about dating services all over.

If you hide your real ip, collecting information about your surfing habbits will not be that easy. As far as the ISP is concerned, usually the ISP can see every site you visits. And they are most likely logging this.

So in the logs of the ISP if you use an unprotected residential IP address, there will be entries like:

Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.sketchysite.com/forum.php
Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.anothersketchysite.com
Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.localnewspaper.com

If you use a VPN, all connections will go through that, so from the view point of your isp,
it's really nothing more than:

Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] vpn-domain.com

That's all your ISP can see. Now, you can surf any site, without the isp knowing which site you visit.

Also, if you get sketchy links in your e-mail, spam, or otherwise people who want to figure out your geolocation, then use a VPN, and they will see their site being accessed from another IP than your real one, so they cannot learn where you are from.

For example, if you want to post something critical, esp. if it associated with a local business or otherwise, or even if you want to edit the wikipedia entry of a politician, hiding your real IP address can protect you from a lot of trouble.

When you use a mobile phone, this is tracked at all times, and it's basically a freecard for any entities with sufficient power to track any move of your phone. And these records might be used in the future, for example, you could be called in to the police for questioning because you were in a certain area one night when something bad happened. Even if you were never involved, you need to be 'checked' out of the case.. And something like that's never fun.

Likewise, you might be called into the police if you happened to surf on a site with questionable content, even if it was not intentional, all because there's a link between your real life identity and your ip address.

Would you like to announce to your neighboor everywhere you went? Off to buy groceries, off to work, off to pickup the kids, off to visit your mistress? I guess no. In essence, you're broadcasting that very information to your ISP when visiting various websites, not in a literal sense, but instead of the ISP learning that the residental user is using the broadband connection (which is all they need to know), with the default setup, they know every site you visit, and when communications are unencrypted, they could very well collect all of that by themselves or in collaboration with a 3-letter agency.

So you might say, I don't have anything to hide, so why worry? Well, you might not have anything to hide, but would you be comfortable with the fact that any random person could sit next to you and see your every move? Would you be comfortable with the fact that if you read about some controversial political subject, that you researched your health problems, issues relating to other personal issues, it would be recorded, collected and analyzed?

If the answer is no, then you should hide as much as possible both from your ISP and Google. If you go for a walk in the woods, you can smell a flower, sit beneath a tree, swim naked in a lake etc, without anyone knowing at all. That's freedom. Essentially the same freedom should be present online. It's not. So if you care about these issues, you should protect yourself.

For example, at your workplace, the ISP is essentially your company, and you never know what kind of analysis they do on their traffic. So if you surf some questionable sites in your lunch break, or if you surf job-boards, these are actions that might land you in trouble. Not that I condone VPN-usage in the workplace if it's against company rules, perhaps much better not to do any such surfing at work at all.

But the point is that there are many reasons and use cases for concealing your identity online. Many of which are legitimate, and some which are not. But you can never point to the tools and ban them and think that will stop crime.

Being spied on electronically is much the same as having somebody sitting next to you all the time, and watching your every move. Most people would find that uncomfortable, and the reason most people do not care more about information security online is because they do not feel that they're watched. Out of sight, out of mind, seems to be the issue. And besides, most people have more than enough to cope with to be concerned about such issues as well.

dariuss

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:35:16 PM

Damn I`m missing out  Cry
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:54:27 PM

@BiPolarBob: why are you doing this for free? It's certainly very generous of you, but I'm interested in what your reasoning is.
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:15:45 PM

What are the benefits of using a vpn?
Simple question, but why not just use your own internet?
I know you can use it for region restricted content, but what else?

Your IP address identifies you on the internet. It will tell those you are connecting to your geographical location, and your ISP will have a record of who you are. So, let's say you copy some music album you're not allowed to copy over torrent. There might be companies working for the music industry that records all the ip-addresses of torrent-clients, and monitors traffic. Later on, they can use this information to get a legal order to get your real life identity from your ISP, based on the ip-adress.

However, if you use a VPN, they will have the IP of the VPN, and if this is an operator in an obscure jurisdiction, that's not even logging your activity, it will be a big hassle for the law firm identifying who you really are, so they will most likely drop trying to figure that out, and they will go for the low hanging fruits, that is residential users will get slapped with a substantional fine, and thus giving revenue to the law firm and music industry.

Likewise, if you give a very negative review online of some company, and the owner of that company is an ass, he can go pretty much the same route, and learning your identity.

In addition, Google and other companies will collect and store information about your surfing habbits, so if you just surfed on electric tools sites, to see what you want to buy for you next project, once you want to relax and see some funny movies on youtube, you get served commercials for electric tools.. And also, if you happend to surf some 'questionable' websites, and your sister later on uses your computer, there will be agressive ads about dating services all over.

If you hide your real ip, collecting information about your surfing habbits will not be that easy. As far as the ISP is concerned, usually the ISP can see every site you visits. And they are most likely logging this.

So in the logs of the ISP if you use an unprotected residential IP address, there will be entries like:

Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.sketchysite.com/forum.php
Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.anothersketchysite.com
Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] http://www.localnewspaper.com

If you use a VPN, all connections will go through that, so from the view point of your isp,
it's really nothing more than:

Thu Oct 23 02:05:36 CEST 2014 [YOUR IP ADDRESS] vpn-domain.com

That's all your ISP can see. Now, you can surf any site, without the isp knowing which site you visit.

Also, if you get sketchy links in your e-mail, spam, or otherwise people who want to figure out your geolocation, then use a VPN, and they will see their site being accessed from another IP than your real one, so they cannot learn where you are from.

For example, if you want to post something critical, esp. if it associated with a local business or otherwise, or even if you want to edit the wikipedia entry of a politician, hiding your real IP address can protect you from a lot of trouble.

When you use a mobile phone, this is tracked at all times, and it's basically a freecard for any entities with sufficient power to track any move of your phone. And these records might be used in the future, for example, you could be called in to the police for questioning because you were in a certain area one night when something bad happened. Even if you were never involved, you need to be 'checked' out of the case.. And something like that's never fun.

Likewise, you might be called into the police if you happened to surf on a site with questionable content, even if it was not intentional, all because there's a link between your real life identity and your ip address.

Would you like to announce to your neighboor everywhere you went? Off to buy groceries, off to work, off to pickup the kids, off to visit your mistress? I guess no. In essence, you're broadcasting that very information to your ISP when visiting various websites, not in a literal sense, but instead of the ISP learning that the residental user is using the broadband connection (which is all they need to know), with the default setup, they know every site you visit, and when communications are unencrypted, they could very well collect all of that by themselves or in collaboration with a 3-letter agency.

So you might say, I don't have anything to hide, so why worry? Well, you might not have anything to hide, but would you be comfortable with the fact that any random person could sit next to you and see your every move? Would you be comfortable with the fact that if you read about some controversial political subject, that you researched your health problems, issues relating to other personal issues, it would be recorded, collected and analyzed?

If the answer is no, then you should hide as much as possible both from your ISP and Google. If you go for a walk in the woods, you can smell a flower, sit beneath a tree, swim naked in a lake etc, without anyone knowing at all. That's freedom. Essentially the same freedom should be present online. It's not. So if you care about these issues, you should protect yourself.

For example, at your workplace, the ISP is essentially your company, and you never know what kind of analysis they do on their traffic. So if you surf some questionable sites in your lunch break, or if you surf job-boards, these are actions that might land you in trouble. Not that I condone VPN-usage in the workplace if it's against company rules, perhaps much better not to do any such surfing at work at all.

But the point is that there are many reasons and use cases for concealing your identity online. Many of which are legitimate, and some which are not. But you can never point to the tools and ban them and think that will stop crime.

Being spied on electronically is much the same as having somebody sitting next to you all the time, and watching your every move. Most people would find that uncomfortable, and the reason most people do not care more about information security online is because they do not feel that they're watched. Out of sight, out of mind, seems to be the issue. And besides, most people have more than enough to cope with to be concerned about such issues as well.

Excellent post!

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 10:36:59 PM

Excellent post!

Thanks. I think people need to be aware of these things, and awareness can only be raised through education.

For example, what happens when you go grocery shopping?

Well, most people would say you just go to the store, and then buy whatever, and go home. This is not correct.

Let me explain.

First you determine that you need some groceries, so you head for your car, you pick up the smart-phone from the living room table, because you 'need to be available' in the event of anything happening (strange how people survived before smart phones existed.. but I digress..). You're now under surveillance. Your location can be pinpointed quite accurately through triangulation, possibly over wifi as well if you have this turned on, and you pass any such wifi antennas that receives packets from your phone. This data, is stored by the telecoms, and most likely (I would be very surprised if it's not the case), if you live in the US, the information about your smart phone's movement pattern is collected and injected to a big-data system. That way, the NSA can find 'interesting' travel patterns, and they can combine this information with who you are talking with, and I would not be surprised if the complete content is stored as well. Remember that the NSA and the government will lie to you. If they state that something is not done, I would be suspicious, and if they state it is done, I would be suspicious as well. History has proven that lies are the way of the 'game'. And for intelligence, confusion tactics is what matters. Do not do what the adversary expects, and sometimes with an intelligent adversary, you do the opposite of what would be normal to do with such adversaries (hide in plain sight), there are many methods, of which I'm probably unaware.

Anyway, you're sitting in your car, heading for the store. High above you, there might be eyes watching your every move. Helicopters, spyplanes, satellites. Usually, single families or individuals are not targeted, but the eyes are there, and I'm not aware of the present situation with drones of various sizes, but expect the surveillance to increase even more in the future.

Oh, you pass a couple of police cars, you don't take much notice of it, but the police cars do. They have a plate recognition system and cameras in their cars, and this system is automatically filming your license plate, and comparing it to the database of various lists they keep, perhaps you did not pay the govt. licenses necessary for your car, there's a warrant on your arrest, you're a known criminal, or otherwise.. In most cases, nothing happens, and we do not frankly know if the collected data is discarded right away, or if it is stored for big data purposes. If you happen to be unlucky, you might get stopped and hassled by the police, even if everything really is in order, because if their computer system shows something's up, then you will have a very hard time explaining to them that it's an error.

Okay, you wasn't stopped by police this time, so you continue driving, then you pass a few intersections, where the local government also have cameras. these could be used to issue automatic tickets, did you drive on a red light, did you speed, and there could also be recoding of your license plate again, for purposes of road taxation, statistics about road usage etc. As a driver you don't know much about this, and you're seldom informed about what's going on,and what the data is being used for. But know this, if you use your own car, and bring with you your own cell phone, your every move is tracked. If you for whatever reason do not want to be tracked, be aware of how you have to do it. In addition the police cars could as well have stingrays (devices used to check where a particular handset is located), this is however to my knowledge mostly used in residential areas. For instance, if you have a criminal that never surfaced to his trial, police enforcement might use this equipment to track him down in a hotel facility. Knowing his phone number, they simply walk around on the premises, until they find the room where he's at. As criminals usually are quite stupid, they don't see this connection or realize that their mobile phone is a liability and might expose them.

But again I digress. You finally arrive at the parking lot of the store. You park your car. Again there's security cameras filming your every move. Guards for the parking company will most likely film and register your presence as well, and if you pay for parking with a debit or credit card, now both the parking company, and the financial company knows about you parking at that very spot. If not happening presently, it will most likely be obligatory in the future to have systems integrated with the surveillance system that will notify authorities if there's a 'suspect' vehicle at the parking lot, possibly connected to the same databases that law enforcement uses. So once parked, your license plate is registered, and then it will be sent of to some law enforcement agency, which will check it against their database, and if there's reason to believe something's up, for instance if there's a warrant on your arrest, police will be dispatched to the shopping center, and you will be arrested. I don't think such a system currently is in place, but it will come..

Now, when entering the mall, you're being filmed again, and inside the mall there will be numerous cameras, depending on the size of the store, there might as well be a dedicated control room, where some guards are sitting watching the customers, and if you for any reason at all appears suspicious, they might follow you around on the cameras. For instance if you're a Muslim with a long beard, a turban and carrying a suitcase, you might be 'a person of interest' and the guard will follow you on the monitors and using the cameras, which he might as well be able to operate remotely, so they can be turned, zoomed etc. and check you out. If you're a woman, and there's a guard unsupervised in the control room, he might as well zoom in on your cleavage or buttocks and take screen shots or images of it. Young NSA employees were know to pass explicit images around that they fetched from various places. According to Snowden revelations. Do you imagine young security guards with hardly any education is any better?

Most customers will be unaware of this surveillance, and never think of it. What about you just stare into the camera when you see it, let your eyes linger, like to say: "I know you're there". The guard in the control room will probably be freaked out, and if you're unlucky he might as well call the police on you, because your behavior was 'suspicious'. So perhaps best to pretend you don't know about the cameras. Haha.

Then there's face recognition software. This is deployed on some airports. If it's deployed in shopping malls, I don't know, but if it isn't it's sure to come. I'm sure police enforcement will push this pointing to the crime fighting opportunities, however the amount of false positives can be a really big issue.

Anyway, you finally made it through the store, and tracking you throughout the store is possible by tracking your mobile phone and also your face. And in the future, if not already present on many locations, the advertisements you see in store, will be optimized to increase your spending. Tracking you with face recognition, your mobile phone, and by knowing your spending habits, everything you buy with a bonus card is recorded by the retailer, why do you think they offer bonus cards? In addition the shopping center can store all your purchases, and so does your bank/payment provider.

You can imagine a scenario where you always buys a certain vegetable, and since this is known to the mall, once you go to the part of the store with fruits and vegetables, once you pass a screen, it will notice the presence of your smart phone, or know through face recognition (security cams), and you will be served targeted adds. Today, there's a special discount of 10%, if you buy 5 of the vegetable you usually buy 3 off, and if you combine it with [insert some fruit here], the total discount will reach a total of 25%. Tempting, and it will most likely work great for the store. Getting customers to buy more is a science in itself, and now with directional sound speakers, you might as well be the only one hearing the commercial (probably not happening today - but wait for the future...)

Anyway, when you go to the checkout, all of your groceries is recorded in the shopping mall system, and you will probably never know how that information is stored, tied to your name and used for marketing purposes, but it will be used, by targeting you with specialized ads. For instance, it's not unthinkable that based on your shopping habits, your ISP, the payment processor and the shopping mall will collaborate such that you can be served targeted ads on your home computer based on your spending habits. And it will work, these companies will extract more money from you, and that's why they're in business in the first place.

So you might say, aah. okay so what. I don't care. Well, imagine this scenario. You have a fairly decent job, wage is good, and life is in general good. You have payment of your housing on auto payment with the bank, and every month you have substantive income, so payment is usually not an issue. One month you find yourself short coming payment day, but you will receive money 5 days later, so you call the bank and ask them if they can extend you some credit, so the landlord will get paid, since money will enter the account in a few days anyway, pointing to previous history on the account.. The clerk at the bank rejects, telling you that you sure goes to a lot of restaurants. The clerk can see your spending pattern. How is that any of his business? So you were rejected credit, because of your eating habits, and now your landlord will be made at you because payment is not prompt. Even if you were a very long standing customer with the bank, never gave them a problem, you could still be rejected, because they look at your payment pattern. You could try convince them that you have good paying job, to no avail. If the clerk is an ass, or blindly follows company rules, there will be an issue.

Imo, this is an issue. The bank is supposed to be a payment institution, not someone who passes personal judgment. There has been instances where gun shops, porno stars etc. has been rejected as customers, simply because the bank do not like them or their business.

You do not go and advertise to everybody what you bought in the store that day, so why should the shopping mall or the bank have this information. The info might as well be sold to insurance companies which builds models as to who's most likely to die from lifestyle related sicknesses. You always buy cigarets and sugary drinks from the store, sorry - no life insurance for you - no security for your family if you die- and you will never know the reason why you got rejected.

The shop only needs to know how much was sold of every item, and recording only the sale and the time stamp. There should be no customer data attached to this, in my opinion. It's very wrong that the complete list of items could be shared with several companies.

So how do you protect yourself?

- Well you could leave the cell phone at home.
- Not much you could do about the road surveillance if you use your car, unless you use somebody elses car, or switches number plates (but that's illegal)
- At the store you could use cash - using bitcoins can be an options some places as well, it's recorded on the blockchain, but not necessarily easily connected to your person.
- Maybe prepaid anonymous credit cards could be used?
- Never use those bonus cards (its used to track your spending habbits)
- Never use the apps the stores advertise, these are most likely used for all kinds of nefarious purposes like targeted advertising, tracking of your location, seeing who your friends are etc.
- Use a caps on your head to make it harder for cameras to see your face.

While some of this post is borderline conspiracy theory territorial, much of it is already present. If you live in a city, put on caps, then just walk to the store and pay in cash, that's as anonymous as you get these days. Or if you're rich, you could always get an assistant to do the shopping for you!
BiPolarBob (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 302

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:43:57 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=719620.msg9314740#msg9314740
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: