Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:45:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Snowball | Game Changing Hardware  (Read 15705 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:06:04 AM

Isn't this just a raspberry pi that you've installed an OS on with a bunch of wallets?  Why would I (or anyone) pay you to do that for me, when I can easily do it myself with a brand new Pi in a couple hours for $50, and without the need to trust someone else to not put a back door in the OS or otherwise screw up its security...

It's a reasonable idea to give people who don't want to build this from scratch something that works out of the box I think. For some people it might be worth it, for others not. I don't see anything wrong with offering people options.
bigreddmachine

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:40:02 PM

Isn't this just a raspberry pi that you've installed an OS on with a bunch of wallets?  Why would I (or anyone) pay you to do that for me, when I can easily do it myself with a brand new Pi in a couple hours for $50, and without the need to trust someone else to not put a back door in the OS or otherwise screw up its security...

It is run by a Pi, yes, but we haven't even posted the price. Why would you pay for a miner if you can just buy the chips and boards?

As far as security...I am very well known around here and run an actual, legal business. I would be putting myself at far more risk than any of you if I was playing games with stealing your coins

Thanks for the reply.  I'm sorry that we've never crossed paths, and so I have no reference for who's offering this, and I apologize if my comment came off a little heated.  I guess I was taken aback by the fact that it being a Raspberry Pi was never mentioned in the post, which seemed a little off to me.

As for the comparison to buying a miner vs. building one... I don't think that's 100% fair.  The biggest difference is that a miner is separate from a wallet.  You're offering to compile an OS with wallets for folks, which should be understandably worrisome.  While I trust that you intend only good things, I think you can understand where I may be coming from since you've been around a while... it would not be hard for someone to make a copy of all the private keys in the delivered products and steal funds later.  Unless you addressed that somewhere that I missed.  I suppose a person could always delete any pre-generated wallet.dat files, but that might not be a common skill among the folks likely to want this...

I'm really not trying to attach you.  I'm just trying to raise some concerns I have about this and hope you can think about them...
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 10:56:57 PM

Isn't this just a raspberry pi that you've installed an OS on with a bunch of wallets?  Why would I (or anyone) pay you to do that for me, when I can easily do it myself with a brand new Pi in a couple hours for $50, and without the need to trust someone else to not put a back door in the OS or otherwise screw up its security...

It is run by a Pi, yes, but we haven't even posted the price. Why would you pay for a miner if you can just buy the chips and boards?

As far as security...I am very well known around here and run an actual, legal business. I would be putting myself at far more risk than any of you if I was playing games with stealing your coins

Thanks for the reply.  I'm sorry that we've never crossed paths, and so I have no reference for who's offering this, and I apologize if my comment came off a little heated.  I guess I was taken aback by the fact that it being a Raspberry Pi was never mentioned in the post, which seemed a little off to me.

As for the comparison to buying a miner vs. building one... I don't think that's 100% fair.  The biggest difference is that a miner is separate from a wallet.  You're offering to compile an OS with wallets for folks, which should be understandably worrisome.  While I trust that you intend only good things, I think you can understand where I may be coming from since you've been around a while... it would not be hard for someone to make a copy of all the private keys in the delivered products and steal funds later.  Unless you addressed that somewhere that I missed.  I suppose a person could always delete any pre-generated wallet.dat files, but that might not be a common skill among the folks likely to want this...

I'm really not trying to attach you.  I'm just trying to raise some concerns I have about this and hope you can think about them...

Completely understandable. No offense was taken at all, don't worry  Wink

That's why we used the stock images, though, so the logo was very clear on the case without us giving away too much too soon

milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:37:35 AM

Isn't this just a raspberry pi that you've installed an OS on with a bunch of wallets?  Why would I (or anyone) pay you to do that for me, when I can easily do it myself with a brand new Pi in a couple hours for $50, and without the need to trust someone else to not put a back door in the OS or otherwise screw up its security...

It's a reasonable idea to give people who don't want to build this from scratch something that works out of the box I think. For some people it might be worth it, for others not. I don't see anything wrong with offering people options.

This product is not feasible for $50. Beware, this could be a quick money scam. Just think about 2 aspect: Storage for blockchains and ram usage.

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:44:33 AM

Week 0 Pre-Orders
The first round of Pre-Orders will be referred to as Week 0, even though it does not run for a full week and also does not accept Bitcoin as payment. Week 0 is now open and you can pre-order your Snowball for only 3.5 Maieuticoin. Since we are not yet on a payment processor, all M pre-orders for Week 0 will be handled manually. Simply send iGotSpots a message asking for a payment address, to which I will respond with a unique address to reserve your unit. Once payment is sent, reply to that message with your shipping information. If you do not feel the forums are safe enough, feel free to let me know and I'll provide a secure email address for you to send to. Week 0 pre-orders will ship at the same time as Week 1, but USD price for Week 1 will be higher. The goal of Week 0 is to give Maieuticoin supporters a chance to ensure they get their units at a severely discounted rate as a way for us to say thanks for sticking around. Outsiders are encouraged to join in, but we will not be releasing pictures or videos until Week 1 is launched. Week 0 will run from October 22nd through October 25th or until all available orders have been placed, in which case Week 0 sales will end immediately. Week 1 start date is still TBA. This is only an early pre-order window at a reduced cost in USD conversion price

http://mmxivcoin.com/week0.html

iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:46:08 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 10:16:45 PM by iGotSpots

We have decided to allow this device to come ready for use with other coins. We have been asking for the last few days which coins we should add, but were not impressed with the response at a chance for shilling. Therefore, if you or your community would like these units for your chain, there will be a small one-time set up cost. The price for the first 3 coins will be .5 BTC, followed by the usual price of 1 BTC per chain added. Payment will not be made until we provide proof of a working unit with that coin

What does this mean? These units will be shipped to you ready to sync to the coin of your choice. Regardless of which coin you choose from our selection at checkout, payment will only be accepted in Maieuticoin (Pre-order Weeks 1-5 will also accept Bitcoin). All Week 0 orders will be shipped ready for Maieuticoin

d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:22:06 AM

We have decided to allow this device to come ready for use with other coins. We have been asking for the last few days which coins we should add, but were not impressed with the response at a chance for shilling. Therefore, if you or your community would like these units for your chain, there will be a small one-time set up cost. The price for the first 3 coins will be .5 BTC, followed by the usual price of 1 BTC per chain added. Payment will not be made until we provide proof of a working unit with that coin

What does this mean? These units will be shipped to you ready to sync to the coin of your choice. Regardless of which coin you choose from our selection at checkout, payment will only be accepted in Maieuticoin (Pre-order Weeks 1-5 will also accept Bitcoin). All Week 0 orders will be shipped ready for Maieuticoin

I would like to see blackcoin supported

iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 03:05:28 AM

Feel free to shill for your coins here now. The more input I have, the more the devs of those coins will see that they have users interested in this option

forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:25:55 AM

interesting!

yolo
gnargnar
Legendary

Activity: 1111

crypto-enthusiast since 2012

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:31:41 PM

Really interesting!   too bad i'm not from usa cuz i would be on that week0 pre-order list

-Mods-  This is a Staking unit... nothing about mining, so why this thread was moved here?  Huh
i think this sub forum doesn't bring exposure enough for this staking hardware, not a mining hardware.
The people that could really be interested with it don't visit this part of the forum.
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 07:30:09 PM

-Mods-  This is a Staking unit... nothing about mining, so why this thread was moved here?  Huh
i think this sub forum doesn't bring exposure enough for this staking hardware, not a mining hardware.
The people that could really be interested with it don't visit this part of the forum.

mprep at his finest   Roll Eyes

ThePeePs

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:15:25 AM

For those that are worried that their private keys would be at risk of being copied.  The unit will ship with keys installed that hold a balance.  You will need to enter in your private keys via the web ui.  The web ui is also where you will have full access to the wallet, as your normally would in a QT wallet.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 01:39:36 AM

For those that are worried that their private keys would be at risk of being copied.  The unit will ship with keys installed that hold a balance.  You will need to enter in your private keys via the web ui.  The web ui is also where you will have full access to the wallet, as your normally would in a QT wallet.

For the record...ThePeePs and iGotSpots are the only two that will post official information about the Snowball

Anything said by anyone other than ThePeePs or I about the Snowball are not official statements

bigreddmachine

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:51:18 PM

For those that are worried that their private keys would be at risk of being copied.  The unit will ship with keys installed that hold a balance.  You will need to enter in your private keys via the web ui.  The web ui is also where you will have full access to the wallet, as your normally would in a QT wallet.

Can you explain what you mean here?

"Keys installed that hold a balance"?  What balance?  And why are keys installed?

"need to enter in your private keys via the web ui"?  Do folks generate their own private keys elsewhere or use the keys that are already "installed"?
ThePeePs

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:14:12 PM

"Keys installed that hold a balance"?  What balance?  And why are keys installed?

"need to enter in your private keys via the web ui"?  Do folks generate their own private keys elsewhere or use the keys that are already "installed"?

When snowball is shipped it will not have a wallet.dat file.  It will be created when it starts after first powerup.  So any keys that are "installed" will be brand new keys that the daemon had just generated (thus they will not have a balance).  To add funds to your Snowball you can do it one of two ways.  1) Transfer the funds from your existing wallet to the newlly created addresses in Snowaall, paying the required tx fee, or 2) Import your private key(s) from your existing wallet to Snowball, avoiding having to pay any tx fee, and will now have your funds in two wallets (your orig wallet and Snowball).

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 08:06:46 PM

We have explored options with scripting for users to self-compile after ordering, but there are just too many issues that could come up with any small updates we push out. Shipping with no wallet.dat is the safest way for the buyer, and the most reliable way for us to ensure everyone gets the same product

Should there be a future hard fork, we will make it incredibly easy to update your hardware. However, we do not anticipate the need to change anything with Maieuticoin

bigreddmachine

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:27:51 PM

When snowball is shipped it will not have a wallet.dat file.  It will be created when it starts after first powerup.  So any keys that are "installed" will be brand new keys that the daemon had just generated (thus they will not have a balance).  To add funds to your Snowball you can do it one of two ways.  1) Transfer the funds from your existing wallet to the newlly created addresses in Snowaall, paying the required tx fee, or 2) Import your private key(s) from your existing wallet to Snowball, avoiding having to pay any tx fee, and will now have your funds in two wallets (your orig wallet and Snowball).

Thanks, that's what I had expected all along, and was confused briefly from your post.

Is there an option to buy a Round 0 box with BTC?
iGotSpots (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 12:54:20 AM

For those that are worried that their private keys would be at risk of being copied.  The unit will ship with keys installed that hold a balance.  You will need to enter in your private keys via the web ui.  The web ui is also where you will have full access to the wallet, as your normally would in a QT wallet.

"Keys installed that hold a balance"?  What balance?  And why are keys installed?

"need to enter in your private keys via the web ui"?  Do folks generate their own private keys elsewhere or use the keys that are already "installed"?

When snowball is shipped it will not have a wallet.dat file.  It will be created when it starts after first powerup.  So any keys that are "installed" will be brand new keys that the daemon had just generated (thus they will not have a balance).  To add funds to your Snowball you can do it one of two ways.  1) Transfer the funds from your existing wallet to the newlly created addresses in Snowaall, paying the required tx fee, or 2) Import your private key(s) from your existing wallet to Snowball, avoiding having to pay any tx fee, and will now have your funds in two wallets (your orig wallet and Snowball).

Thanks, that's what I had expected all along, and was confused briefly from your post.

BTC is Weeks 1-5. Week 0 and Retail are M only. Week 1 will be the cheapest and it will slowly slide up to retail price

bigreddmachine

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:43:35 AM

BTC is Weeks 1-5. Week 0 and Retail are M only. Week 1 will be the cheapest and it will slowly slide up to retail price

Thanks!  I look forward to seeing the price. and maybe buying one.
Zebedee23
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:03:20 AM

Add NOBL & Diamond please

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
██████████        ▀████████