Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:59:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Services Like Coinapult Are A Threat To Your Privacy  (Read 3074 times)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:34:24 PM

hello,

New blog article regarding Coinapult, Graph Analysis and Privacy.

must read if you use Coinapult and you are interested in privacy aspects.

Why are you singling out Coinapult? This is equally true of Circle or Coinbase, and many other hot wallets. This product has its role in the marketplace and not intended for you.

Circle and Coinbase let you send bitcoin to an email/sms address?

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:35:42 PM

hello,

Why are you singling out Coinapult? This is equally true of Circle or Coinbase, and many other hot wallets. This product has its role in the marketplace and not intended for you.

Circle takes your Credit Card information, which is far more sensitive than email address.

Coinapult

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:36:22 PM

Do you even use Bitcoin, or do you just troll? We pointed this out both on Twitter and earlier in this thread, including screenshots. Also, what happened to all of your challenges a moment ago about sending bitcoin via email without a centralized service?

Coinapult.com - Crushing Payment Obstacles
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:38:03 PM

hello,

Circle takes your Credit Card information, which is far more sensitive than email address.

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor).  Not so for Panama-based Coinbase.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:39:39 PM

Do you even use Bitcoin, or do you just troll? We pointed this out both on Twitter and earlier in this thread, including screenshots. Also, what happened to all of your challenges a moment ago about sending bitcoin via email without a centralized service?

so you're basically pointing fingers at Circle and Coinbase saying that they are just as bad with their security?

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:42:51 PM

hello,

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor).  Not so for Panama-based Coinbase.

Bitcoin is not an US currency. Why on earth global users will trust the Fed ?

J. J. Phillips

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Islam and Nazism are belief systems, not races.

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:44:01 PM

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor). 

I think this is the real difference of opinion. Some people place trust US Federal Law. Some of us (especially non-US citizens?) would rather trust organizations that don't ask us for sensitive information.

If Israel is destroyed, I will devote the rest of my life to the extermination of the human species. Any species that goes down this road again less than 100 years after the holocaust needs to be fucking wiped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Affair_of_the_Gang_of_Barbarians
Ilan Halimi: tortured and murdered in France by barbarian Jew haters who'd be very comfortable here at bitcointalk.
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:46:30 PM

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor). 

I think this is the real difference of opinion. Some people place trust US Federal Law. Some of us (especially non-US citizens?) would rather trust organizations that don't ask us for sensitive information.

in this situation though it's a call between trusting the US Govt(subject to congress, etc.) and trusting Erik Voorhees and his employees.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:49:05 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2014, 09:29:17 PM by inBitweTrust

well Circle is a US company and your information is protected by US Federal law(true for any Credit Card processor).  Not so for Panama-based Coinbase.

WTF are you talking about? The FBI and NSA are actively storing all emails and transactions despite any 4th amendment protections you may assume you have. I don't trust any government with this data, but would much rather have it stored in some Panamanian data center for a few days rather than in Utah for 100 years.

Even if you were so naive as to assume they don't make mistakes and only have good intentions, all those backdoors, exploits,  and data collection can be used by a corrupt employee or compromised by an outside hacker. You are not safer and much less secure because of this behavior.

Former NSA analysts are even defecting it is so bad in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s976iyaO39A

Please do a bit more research before spreading FUD.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:51:17 PM

WTF are you talking about? The FBI and NSA are actively storing all emails and transactions despite any 4th amendment protections you may assume you have. I don't trust any government with this data, but would much rather have it stored in some Panamanian data center for a few days rather than in Utah for 100 years.

you would rather have your personal id information including Bitcoin activity in some private database in panama that can be freely marketed to ANY PARTY?

can you please explain the logic here?

inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:55:53 PM

you would rather have your personal id information including Bitcoin activity in some private database in panama that can be freely marketed to ANY PARTY?

You are creating a false dichotomy. I would rather have neither, but if I was forced to choose I would prefer it to be stored by a bunch of anarchists and libertarians in Panama for a limited time vs a datacenter in Utah for 100 years. Libertarians are far less likely to kill or steal from you than a government which institutionalizes that behavior.

Watch the video I sent you to get a picture of how this data will be mined against you in the future.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:59:11 PM

You are creating a false dichotomy. I would rather have neither, but if I was forced to choose I would prefer it to be stored by a bunch of anarchists and libertarians in Panama for a limited time vs a Utah datacenter for 100 years. Libertarians are far less likely to kill or steal from you than a government which institutionalizes that behavior.

If Coinapult ever goes out of business, your information will be auctioned off.  Most likely it will end up in either a major conglomerate or the US govt + profit for those who own the database.

You think this is positive?  this sounds like shilling to me, like you're trying to fool regular users into thinking a certain way.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:06:28 PM

You are creating a false dichotomy. I would rather have neither, but if I was forced to choose I would prefer it to be stored by a bunch of anarchists and libertarians in Panama for a limited time vs a Utah datacenter for 100 years. Libertarians are far less likely to kill or steal from you than a government which institutionalizes that behavior.

If Coinapult ever goes out of business, your information will be auctioned off.  Most likely it will end up in either a major conglomerate or the US govt + profit for those who own the database.

You think this is positive?  this sounds like shilling to me, like you're trying to fool regular users into thinking a certain way.

I doubt how many regular user actually send bitcoin by email. The function itself destroys the whole purpose of bitcoin. Voorhees might provide us some data about the no. of users who has used email on Coinapult. And bluemeanie1 can give us the data that how many pageviews he has received on his blog after creating this topic Wink

inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:07:41 PM

If Coinapult ever goes out of business, your information will be auctioned off.  Most likely it will end up in either a major conglomerate or the US govt + profit for those who own the database.

You think this is positive?  this sounds like shilling to me, like you're trying to fool regular users into thinking a certain way.

No, I have always directed users to use bitcoin p2p and avoid hot wallets. I am an avid supporter of greater privacy with wallets like the dark wallet and tools like coinjoin , coin shuffle and stealth addresses. I have never done business with coinapult, and have accounts with circle and coinbase where I never store any funds within and simply use them as on ramps and off ramps. I am merely pointing out you are spreading misleading information.... probably because you are either a troll of your politics are antagonistic towards Eric as I can see....

http://blog.bluemeanie.net/2014/10/what-is-neoliberalism-few-notes-on.html

In particular 'thought leader' Erik Voorhees appears to adhere perfectly to Neoliberal philosophy.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:08:56 PM

I doubt how many regular user actually send bitcoin by email. The function itself destroys the whole purpose of bitcoin.

The entire purpose of Coinapult is to enable users to send bitcoin by email or SMS.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:10:26 PM

No, I have always directed users to use bitcoin p2p and avoid hot wallets. I am an avid supporter of greater privacy with wallets like the dark wallet and tools like coinjoin , coin shuffle and stealth addresses. I have never done business with coinapult, and have accounts with circle and coinbase where I never store any funds within and simply use them as on ramps and off ramps. I am merely pointing out you are spreading misleading information.... probably because you are either a troll of your politics are antagonistic towards Eric as I can see....

that's an interesting way to end a discussion that shows your viewpoints are actually anti-privacy and anti-individualism.

J. J. Phillips

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Islam and Nazism are belief systems, not races.

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:21:27 PM

The entire purpose of Coinapult is to enable users to send bitcoin by email or SMS.

I first heard of coinapult when they implemented locks.

If Israel is destroyed, I will devote the rest of my life to the extermination of the human species. Any species that goes down this road again less than 100 years after the holocaust needs to be fucking wiped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Affair_of_the_Gang_of_Barbarians
Ilan Halimi: tortured and murdered in France by barbarian Jew haters who'd be very comfortable here at bitcointalk.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:22:47 PM

bluemeanie1 - We've had some fun on Twitter, but now you are just being obnoxious.

Point 1) You're full of misinformation. I haven't worked at Coinapult since January of this year, and I never renounced US citizenship.

Point 2) Coinapult is providing the service as advertised. Coinapult needs an email address to send Bitcoin to an email address (scandalous, I know). If a user is uncomfortable revealing an email address, then she is very welcome not to use this tool. Coinapult also has a website, and if a user doesn't want her IP address logged in the web browser, she is welcome to not use the website also. If you, in your productive brilliance, have a way to send Bitcoin to an email address without collecting the email address, then go start a company and compete with Coinapult. But I think you won't do that, you'll just spew FUD anonymously on an online forum.

Point 3) Every company in the world has valuable information about it's users. The fact that Coinapult could become evil and sell user data is not unique - you could make that claim about any company (but you wont... evidence that your crusade is not borne of a legitimate concern for the security of users so much as it is a personal vendetta against me).

Coinapult requests significantly less private information than other Bitcoin companies, and would never jeopardize a reputation earned over years of hard work just to make a quick buck selling information.

You are trying to vilify me (not sure why) and then spread FUD about Coinapult because I have a connection to that company. Half a dozen Bitcoin companies enable transactions to email, yet you single out Coinapult under the pretense that Panama doesn't have government-mandated consumer protection rules? Guess what, quite a few Bitcoiners prefer the security and promises of private individuals and organizations instead of the security and promises of governments.

Go build something.

bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 09:23:43 PM

I first heard of coinapult when they implemented locks.

They expanded their feature set, but initially it was a service that allowed people to send bitcoin to an email address or SMS number.  SMS is even more volatile information than email.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:24:07 PM

that's an interesting way to end a discussion that shows your viewpoints are actually anti-privacy and anti-individualism.

Holy shit.... look at your post and trust history!

You are either bat-shit crazy or an annoying troll. Either way I'm going to take your advice, end the discussion and block you altogether.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: