Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:00:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Signed transactions for distribution  (Read 2259 times)
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 03:37:12 AM

Meaning I can know in advance whether the incoming transaction (API or form) is up to par with my requirements, at least based on what I've read so far. Ok, I'll start investigating the technicalities of this. Thanks to everyone commenting here :)
Why would someone use this service instead of just broadcasting that TX to the network ?

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eli (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 10:23:45 AM

Meaning I can know in advance whether the incoming transaction (API or form) is up to par with my requirements, at least based on what I've read so far. Ok, I'll start investigating the technicalities of this. Thanks to everyone commenting here Smiley
Why would someone use this service instead of just broadcasting that TX to the network ?

Because broadcasting the message to the network [as I understand it] requires the user to be connected to at least one peer in the network, meaning a different kind of protocol to handle.

Having a service that will broadcast your transactions to the network for a small fee (if the transactions are not small ones) requires you to compile and sign a transaction, and send it to the broadcasting service via HTTP, very straight forward for client-side clients and thin clients.
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 09:03:51 PM

Meaning I can know in advance whether the incoming transaction (API or form) is up to par with my requirements, at least based on what I've read so far. Ok, I'll start investigating the technicalities of this. Thanks to everyone commenting here Smiley

Because broadcasting the message to the network [as I understand it] requires the user to be connected to at least one peer in the network, meaning a different kind of protocol to handle.

Having a service that will broadcast your transactions to the network for a small fee (if the transactions are not small ones) requires you to compile and sign a transaction, and send it to the broadcasting service via HTTP, very straight forward for client-side clients and thin clients.

I can get on the Bitcoin network, find 3 peers and broadcast my transaction to all 3 then disconnect.  In less than one second.  There is no need for an external service, unless you are offering something extra, like anonymity.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Eli (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 10:47:21 PM

I can get on the Bitcoin network, find 3 peers and broadcast my transaction to all 3 then disconnect.  In less than one second.  There is no need for an external service, unless you are offering something extra, like anonymity.

First of all, yes. These kind of service will offer better anonymity than what you get with the vanilla bitcoin experience.
Second — to broadcast the transaction to 3 peers you need to connect to a different protocol which can be problematic at certain situations, and it's not exactly a "fire and forget" solution, because you have to check that the transaction was broadcasted, and if not, you have to do the procedure again.
Berlu

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 10:32:04 PM

to broadcast the transaction to 3 peers you need to connect to a different protocol

Huh
You don't connect to a protocol, you connect to a server. If someone wants to use your service he'll have to connect to your server, so I can't see any difference.
Eli (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 11:32:51 PM

to broadcast the transaction to 3 peers you need to connect to a different protocol

Huh
You don't connect to a protocol, you connect to a server. If someone wants to use your service he'll have to connect to your server, so I can't see any difference.

Connecting to Bitcoin peers requires using the Bitcoin Protocol, which requires making a different type of connection. Using a dedicated HTTP server on the other hand requires only doing a regular ajax request to a remote server with the details of the transaction.

This tiny difference is what makes it easy for new developers to come in and create new tools - the simpler tools that you can provide to developers the more developers you'll have working on this. Remember, time = money, so business makers who ask devs "how long will X take you to do with Bitcoin?" and the dev answers "a lot" because it requires doing different complicated things, and if it's cheap you'll have more people putting money into Bitcoin related projects.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: