Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:17:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin treasure hunt (random, fun, adventure)  (Read 3672 times)
unip (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:58:30 AM

Idea about promoting bitcoin and creating a fun experience around the world.

I've seen some posts in this forum about treasure hunt and geocaching. What I try to do is a little bit diferent:

Let's imagine there is a hidden treasure somewhere on the planet. The treasure is going to be a certain amount of bitcoins, funded through participants small fees (0.001-0.01 BTC) and donations.

I am thinking about printing a private key as a metal qr code, so you are looking for a physical and durable object.

https://i.imgur.com/53UZlRg.jpg

An important point is how to ensure a secret treasure position, so even the person who organize the treasure hunt, doesn't know where the treasure is located.

One option is to place the qr code with a geolocation system into a box and attach them to a weather ballon or similar device. The place and the day/hour of the release of the treasure are public announced, but nobody know where the treasure will ends (may be hundred of miles from the starting point, because of wind and altittude reached by the balloon)

https://i.imgur.com/qrucnji.jpg

Players are encouraged to find the treasure, using GPS, radio o even more difficult: only looking at the photos made with a camera inside the device. The treasure can be easy to find (if it falls on the garden of your house) or an extreme adventure (in the middle of Amazonas) .

A couple of things are needed for the project:

The design of the device:
     balloon + box (qr code, mobile phone with gps and camera) + parachute?, good insulation (for high alltitudes, extreme wheaters), wind resistant, waterproof.

The project website:
  • treasure funding
  • participants inscriptions
  • calendar of release dates and locations
  • map of trajectories of launched treasures
  • hall of fame

To ensure that only participants can look for the treasure, only registered users can acces information about treasure location and password is going to be needed to redeem the treasure amount.

Any suggestions or ideas? Also anybody who wants to help is welcome...

First, I am going to wait for community feedback, and then I will create the website. I don't expect donations just for a draft, but if somebody wants to donate, this is going to accelerate the project:
BTC donating address: 12A6T34USKFCXYbTwbLCFx9xwSV4mxUVEu

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minzie

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 01:23:47 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 02:50:19 PM by minzie

I think this is a fun idea, and I believe a first iteration of this could be done quite simply. I actually think you could get this off the ground for a few hundred dollars. Just doing some armchair estimating here, but I cannot believe that a metal QR code is going to cost more than $50. A GPS locator is $80 average, according to the Google. Weather balloons are remarkably cheap, $20-$40. With Helium, I would be surprised if it cost more than $250. After that it is all PR work which only costs your time. You can create accounts on the various social media sites and forgo any need for a website right now.

If I were you, I would start out by soliciting active Bitcoin related businesses to donate to the pool, as well as purchase supplies. If that doesn't pan out, try local businesses, or the ACM chapter at your nearest university. I would specifically contact under-represented organizations that could use some publicity also. Offer a firm deal, something like 'For $50, I will include your organization as a partner/sponsor in 2 press releases, plus at least 1 mention on each of our social media sites per day'.

Good luck!

Professional Freelance Web Apps Engineer ° Portfolio °  ModoBot Automated Trading Platform ° BitThingy ° My Github  ° Skype: cclites_1
SirLolicon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Sound Engineer for Hire

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:54:36 PM

Cool idea.
I tried making a treasure hunt here before, but no one was really interested Sad

Hopefully you'll have more success  Grin

unip (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:44:44 PM

Thanks for your positive comments!

I take good notes about how to do first iteration and get sponsors. Also think a initial trial can be done easly.

I am wondering that because It is hard to ensure that the launch of the first balloon goes well (perhaps it falls quite near to the lanuch location or into the sea), could be a good idea to launch it with the qr code but not funds. And send the bitcoins to the qr addresss only after a successfull deployment of the device.

Let's think a little bit more about this idea and hope more feedback will come from community! Thanks everybody
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: