Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:30:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the whales getting beaten?  (Read 4086 times)
cafucafucafu (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

It seems like there are either fewer dumping whales right now or that they are not able to manipulate the market like they used to. Which is it?

It is that the weak hands have all gone and the whales cant start a sell off because there are few willing to sell?

Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:36:20 PM

most whales are not dumb enough to dump 20k coins on an exchange at one time.
Gargulan

Activity: 231

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:41:57 PM

Whales == mining farm.

Until they go away or gone bust, there will be huge dump every day/week.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:44:06 PM

Whales == mining farm.

If you're organised enough to have a giant mining farm, you'll also have an ongoing off market deal to sell your coins.

I wouldn't want my organisation and investment hinging on a few shaky exchanges. 
fewcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 02:51:17 PM

Whales == mining farm.

If you're organised enough to have a giant mining farm, you'll also have an ongoing off market deal to sell your coins.

I wouldn't want my organisation and investment hinging on a few shaky exchanges. 

The thing is when they're no real world buyers but plenty of people online that already have cash in the system ready to buy... Sometimes you need to do what you need to do!
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:58:29 PM

Miners will always need to sell their coins to pay for expenses, but I'm not sure the "whales" that have been dumping their coins at below market rates could possibly be miners, because that's such a dumb move.

I haven't followed it that closely, but to me it appeared that the big dumps, especially the one at $300 recently, were efforts to manipulate the market (down) at a loss to whoever did it.    Akin to what happened with Gold / GLD a while back where someone apparently took a huge loss just to dump a lot of Gold at below market rates, driving the price way down.
fewcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:50:40 PM

Whales == mining farm.

Correct!
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:12:52 AM

Whales == mining farm.

Correct!

True indeed, just they sell half of mined coin and half they keep.
For what that is opinion maybe to invest maybe to hold for better price.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

unrealistic

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:18:30 AM

They are really dump to drop off so much coins all the time, they must sell them by very small fractions, so that it won't affect market much.
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1101

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:19:47 AM

Was actually hopping the difficulty would go so fast that even giant farm isn't profitable. Then we would see them close down one by one..
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:04:53 AM

Was actually hopping the difficulty would go so fast that even giant farm isn't profitable. Then we would see them close down one by one..

but if one by one they stop mining diff will go down, and then it will profitable again and all begin one more time..
Brmaster

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:28:13 AM

just because the price is too low to meet the whale's appetite  Embarrassed
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:42:57 AM

It seems that way - the old money is afraid their promised millions might never materialize, and is willing to sell for 7 million money now instead of waiting for 70 or 100 down the road.

porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:22:32 AM

Miners will always need to sell their coins to pay for expenses, but I'm not sure the "whales" that have been dumping their coins at below market rates could possibly be miners, because that's such a dumb move.

I haven't followed it that closely, but to me it appeared that the big dumps, especially the one at $300 recently, were efforts to manipulate the market (down) at a loss to whoever did it.    Akin to what happened with Gold / GLD a while back where someone apparently took a huge loss just to dump a lot of Gold at below market rates, driving the price way down.

Imagine, that you had 30 000 bitcoins bought for 10$ each(or for less). After the high last year the price is falling all the time and in 4. of October it reaches a new low in this year. Now, if you sell at 300$ you have a 3000%. You get 5Mio. dollars after taxes for sure. You can park that money on a bank and get 50 000$ interest on it or more. For the rest of your life. Or you buy stocks, real estate, gold etc. and get a profit out of it, that guarantees you a good income for your life time.

So. There is a chance that the Bitcoin price will be at sub 10 dollar in a year. Maybe it will go to zero in a few year.

Would you sell or risk it?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:38:33 AM

Imagine, that you had 30 000 bitcoins bought for 10$ each(or for less). After the high last year the price is falling all the time and in 4. of October it reaches a new low in this year. Now, if you sell at 300$ you have a 3000%. You get 5Mio. dollars after taxes for sure. You can park that money on a bank and get 50 000$ interest on it or more. For the rest of your life. Or you buy stocks, real estate, gold etc. and get a profit out of it, that guarantees you a good income for your life time.

So. There is a chance that the Bitcoin price will be at sub 10 dollar in a year. Maybe it will go to zero in a few year.

0? 10 dollars? if 1 btc= 300$ you're right, but with a price <10$, what you say can't be right.
resya

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:43:04 AM

whales wouldn't waste there time for small movements when they can make large profits off large moments

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:17:38 PM

To reduce risk just dont sell all. Sell a bit. When price raises more sell more. Wehn price fall buy a bit. when price fall more, buy even more.  Grin

porcupine87

hm

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:07:27 PM

0? 10 dollars? if 1 btc= 300$ you're right, but with a price <10$, what you say can't be right.

I mean someone bought (or mined) 30 000 coins in the single digit range and if he sells at $300 he would make a lot of profit which noone can talk away from him. If he just holds 100% of his wealth in Bitcoin, he might lose all.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
porcupine87

hm

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:12:07 PM

To reduce risk just dont sell all. Sell a bit. When price raises more sell more. Wehn price fall buy a bit. when price fall more, buy even more.  Grin

Maybe he just sold a bit. The thing is that many people here scream for manipulation because they have the illusion that Bitcoin will be worth more and more. But it isn't a sure thing. I read this all the time here. In May the price rose from $450 to about $600. Then people just said "You fool. You sold at $450. How stupid are you." Let the price fall to $100 and then ask again how stupid one could be to sell at $300...

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:23:21 PM

It seems that way - the old money is afraid their promised millions might never materialize, and is willing to sell for 7 million money now instead of waiting for 70 or 100 down the road.

If you mean the early adoptors by "old money"  then I think  they had plenty of chances to dump and walk away with enough to retire on

Anyone who's been here for that long knows there will be ups and downs and is unlikely, Imo to sell in a panic at 300usd

Anyone sitting on tens of  thousands of  Coins  from the  early days has  no reason to suddenly dump at the drop of a bit of  bad news

Maybe it's retailers cashing out to pay suppliers   or something similar as they may be afraid of being ruined by a  potential loss of fiat

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: