Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:27:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It seems to me, all POS coins are ultimately doomed to fail. Am I wrong?  (Read 1034 times)
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:26:07 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 06:04:35 PM by okbit

In every POS coin the incentive is to hoard, not to spend.

I buy, I get dividends...
I buy more, I get more dividends...
I buy even more, I get even more dividends....

I keep doing this for what? months, years?

In the mean time there is no where of significance to spend my coins.
Plus the mantra tells me, don't spend, hold, get more dividends

Eventually this ponzi game has to stop, for we hold bunches of coins with no where to spend them.

If I am wrong, show me a POS coin that has many places for me to spend my coins,
and I don't mean a handful of tiny websites, but hundreds, thousands of places to really spend, like with bitcoin.

And do you really think that on one magic day, all us coinholders can convince merchants to accept a coin simply because we hold a bunch of them?
The merchants will rightly ask, "but who will I sell them to?"

[Edit] I was told later in this thread that when you want to spend coins, you just convert to BTC. But that is making a huge assumption. That is, while I am holding my assets in POS coins, their value (including dividends) relative to BTC remains the same or improves. If their price relative to BTC drops (for example, NXT certainly has this year) than I am screwed. My money would have been better left in BTC.

I am not trying to spread fud on any one coin, or calling any of them scams. It is just the concept that seems flawed to me. Particularly when as an investor, I am now faced with 20-30 of these coins, which are proclaimed as the "best way to hold my assets".

mezzovide

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:30:59 PM

Im gonna give u a good example, take a look at NXT, and then take a look at Nxt AE, then take a look at those assets, now do u still think u want to hoard the Nxt while investing in assets could be more profitable than hoarding?

Btc : 12LMdyWoyjJ1BZxfWmaZMWjTXn7S9y5EdK
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:31:56 PM

That's correct you're wrong.

POS stake coins like Qora and NXT are more about decentralised trading and asset holding than anything else. Bitcoin will work wht in these systems. Think of them as banks that can hold various currencies and assets rather than coins.
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:35:38 PM

That's correct you're wrong.

POS stake coins like Qora and NXT are more about decentralised trading and asset holding than anything else. Bitcoin will work wht in these systems. Think of them as banks that can hold various currencies and assets rather than coins.

Fair enough, but why would I not just hold my own bitcoin assets, instead of as you say, let the "bank of NXT" hold them?
5000Bitcoins

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:47:58 PM

XCR encourages spending for commerce and the amount of coins you have in your wallet is not tied to how much you forge.

That being said I don't agree with the conclusion you make but I understand your sentiment.
Most coins aim to have incentive for larger holders to get more interest by buying more and hoard to increase it's market capitalization and keep spending to a minimum. Come to think of it in hindsight Bitcoin was very similar in that sense that there was nothing to buy with it in the earlier days so the only thing one could do was to hold it and hope for more people or buy a Pizza.

It makes for good investments at the time I suppose, many things in life have value because the general consensus is that it does.
I guess one could make the argument they aim to be more of a store of value than currency
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:10:52 PM

In every POS coin the incentive is to hoard, not to spend.

I buy, I get dividends...
I buy more, I get more dividends...
I buy even more, I get even more dividends....

I keep doing this for what? months, years?

In the mean time there is no where of significance to spend my coins.
Plus the mantra tells me, don't spend, hold, get more dividends

Eventually this ponzi game has to stop, for we hold bunches of coins with no where to spend them.

If I am wrong, show me a POS coin that has many places for me to spend my coins,
and I don't mean a handful of tiny websites, but hundreds, thousands of places to really spend, like with bitcoin.

And do you really think that on one magic day, all us coinholders can convince merchants to accept a coin simply because we hold a bunch of them?
The merchants will rightly ask, "but who will I sell them to?"

Sure When/if supply overwhelms demand.

and why spend them when they are better used to leverage BTC,. just convert into btc to buy what you want when you want and let em stake in the meantime. (Assuming BTC and the PoS stays somewhat stable over X time)

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:53:57 PM

You could always hold Maieuticoin and buy the Snowball Wink

Momimaus

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

Never back down !!!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:02:08 PM

Yes you are wong.

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
1echo

Activity: 280

scams hunter!

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:48:34 AM

low PoS like EXCL that have PoW are more scure than pure POW

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: