Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:26:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which will be the most successful?
NXT - 31 (46.3%)
NEM - 17 (25.4%)
Neither - 9 (13.4%)
Both - 10 (14.9%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will NXT or NEM be the most successful?  (Read 2143 times)
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:07:29 PM

I hold both currently, but what one will have the most success?

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 08:19:52 PM

Is this a joke? Give me a reason why you think NEM will be anywhere as successful as NXT?
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:28:17 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 09:26:04 PM by TaunSew

Is this a joke? Give me a reason why you think NEM will be anywhere as successful as NXT?

This was an unnecessary burden of proof.  If you actually ever bothered to read the NEM thread since March, you would find that it is a proprietary innovator and I think they have very good public relations.   

I think OP created this thread with the intent that serious replies would emerge, even though the "A or B" does tend to attract replies like the one you wrote.

I'm sure you could retort but on the latter but I don't think NXT is any successful in its' external image.  When you have someone like Jeff Garzik, a Bitcoin developer, who labelled NXT a scam - how do you recover from that?   I'm ignoring all the thefts and hacks, initial distribution, Cointropolis, a lot of the assets on the asset exchange being questionable, et cetera.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Momimaus

Activity: 767

Never back down !!!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:00:02 PM

If they fight for CMC place #1 and #2 then I am pretty successful  Grin

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
5000Bitcoins

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:04:39 PM

I think on BCT NEM wins because NXT users have their own active forum.

The numbers, innovations and activity speaks for NXT.

I currently hold neither, but like following the projects.
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:46:08 PM

This was an unnecessary burden of proof.  If you actually ever bothered to read the NEM thread since March, you would find that it is a proprietary innovator and I think they have very good public relations.   

I think OP created this thread with the intent that serious replies would emerge, even though the "A or B" does tend to attract replies like the one you wrote.

I'm sure you could retort but on the latter but I don't think NXT is any successful in its' external image.  When you have someone like Jeff Garzik, a Bitcoin developer, who labelled NXT a scam - how do you recover from that?   I'm ignoring all the thefts and hacks, initial distribution, Cointropolis, a lot of the assets on the asset exchange being questionable, et cetera.

I hope you do realize that without NXT, NEM would have never existed. The whole concept of NEM was to improve on NXT's distribution, by offering stakes of the initial supply freely to BitcoinTalk users. In fact in it's initial stages NEM was supposed to be a direct fork of NXT.

It was not until new developers came into the fray that NEM was being with its own code base and even now, close to 10 months after it was intially made public, NEM still only offers basic functionality, that being the ability to send transactions back and forth and to send messages via transactions, both which NXT easily accomplishes.

Secondly the majority, if not all, investors into NEM are those who are hoping for it to become the next NXT (which of course will never happen). The two type of investors into NEM are investors who missed out on NXT, and NXT early-adopters who are looking to become NEM whales.

So to conclude if NXT was never created neither would NEM. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
cassius69

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:50:18 PM

neither will succeed. only bitcoin succeeds. the rest are schemes designed to get bitcoin.

rabbiter

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:33:16 PM

After all the attacks on Qora. NXT are going to find out what a REAL bunch of assholes are like compared to Qora. Let the games begin.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the New Assoles On the Block. NEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBc0ncWEZk
CryptoJerk

Activity: 205

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:05:40 PM

I am a big supporter of NXT and I will always champion them

They helped me with a lot of technical issues when I was putting out my first coin

They are at the pinnacle of the crypto game. in more ways than one
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:16:51 PM

I do very much like NXT, but NEM has a few advantages (although minor) that i like, such as in the messaging and faster block times, etc, but alot of it is very similar to NXT.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:23:53 PM

Define "success", please.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:24:58 PM

When you have someone like Jeff Garzik, a Bitcoin developer, who labelled NXT a scam - how do you recover from that?

Do I really need to quote Gandhi?..
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:10:26 AM

Define "success", please.

Adoption, acceptance.

hobala

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:20:51 AM

nxt will be the most successful,so now go buy and hold nxt Smiley

AMHash
ASICMINERROCKMINER ● Purchase from: AMHash (20Th/s min) ● Havelock (1Gh/s min)
Cloud-mining contracts: 0.0012 BTC per Gh ● Maintenance fee: $0.001551 per Gh per day ● Upto 6% Christmas Bonus

BlackShibe1

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:04:53 AM

Is Nem has a new source code ?

Lisk.
    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
    Website | Blog | BTT Thread | Chat - Be part of the decentralized application movement!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:12:07 AM

Yes. That's why it's been so long in gestation. I think it was originally going to be a NXT clone but it changed direction.
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:18:32 AM

Yes. That's why it's been so long in gestation. I think it was originally going to be a NXT clone but it changed direction.
Whatever NEM claimed. But for sure, Nem is a clone of NXT.
NEM may reconstruct the code of NXT, but it doesn't mean it is new code.
geyu

Activity: 460

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 06:04:02 AM

NEM
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 06:53:18 AM

Whatever NEM claimed. But for sure, Nem is a clone of NXT.
NEM may reconstruct the code of NXT, but it doesn't mean it is new code.

People calling it a clone need to put the idea to rest.  At one time it was going to be a clone, but since then has been rewritten from the ground up with a new vision.  

The NCC has already been open sourced pre-launch for quite a while.  Many people have looked at it, even some that worked on NXT and as far as I know, nobody has said they were similar.  

Of course we don't know for sure until the final source code is released for the NIS and people examine it.  But one thing is for sure, NEM has something completely different than NXT's PoS, it is called PoI and is quite a bit more complicated.  I have tested it on the Beta so I can see how my chance at making a block goes up and down and not just accordingly to how much NEM I have at the moment.  

NEM already has variable fees that are fair (NXT still hasn't implemented that yet).

Also, NEM has a wallet file on the computer, paper wallets, and will someday have a generator that will create a seed from a passphrase (this has already been done and proved in theory in an alpha version but since the code and algo has changed on the beta, the generator needs to be re-written).  These examples of the wallet is handled is a HUGE difference between NXT and NEM and fundamentally means the code at some point must be very different.  

There are many other differences too like remote harvesting and the fact that a NEM node is like 10 times easier to make official and broadcast the node's hallmark to the network than the NXT node.  For all these reasons and much more, I am pretty sure it is a new code from the ground up.  There are quite a few things that substantially differentiate it from NXT already and this is pre-genesis.  In the coming months as NEM matures, I expect it to elvolve even more.

That said, while NEM has already made quite a few things that NXT doesn't have, as a whole NXT has way more than NEM does right now and is currently the superior tech for sure.  But that is to be expected, NXT is NEM's big brother that is much older.  Technically NEM hasn't even been born yet and NXT is having its first birthday.  In 10 years when both have been around for a long time, it will be really interesting to see how each develops.  

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:01:52 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 08:15:02 AM by Come-from-Beyond

But one thing is for sure, NEM has something completely different than NXT's PoS, it is called PoI and is quite a bit more complicated.  I have tested it on the Beta so I can see how my chance at making a block goes up and down and not just accordingly to how much NEM I have at the moment.

Actually, this is a disadvantage - a novel Proof-of-X that wasn't tested in the wild nor publicly peer-reviewed. People think that they can add anything to "Proof-of-" and get a new way of securing a blockchain.

A scarce resource must be put into the base of any Proof-of-Resource because it's the only (known) way to counteract Sybil attacks in a decentralized system. In Proof-of-Work it's hardware that do hash computations. In Proof-of-Stake it's coins (effective balance). This is the first important point.

The second important point is "insularity*" of the system. Bitcoin is not isolated, at any moment someone could come out of the blue with pockets full of ASICs and do a 51% attack. Nxt is isolated, new coins can't be created, this protect Nxt against 51% attacks of the "outer" world.

Note that Proof-of-Stake principles may vary. Peercoin's PoS uses coin-age, this allowed (not sure if it's still actual) to wait several months to collect enough "power" and attempt an attack, this is why time component was capped at some value. In Nxt this flaw was removed by removing time from the equation completely. Time is not a scarce resource, we have plenty of it (let's not "fork" to a philosophical discussion).

There may be other important points but I can't recall them now. Regarding the topic of this thread - Nxt conform to both the points perfectly, only scarce resource is used and it's isolated. If NEM will be successful depends on how "strong" its technology is. Even with perfect marketing it may be killed by someone like Luke-Jr if a vulnerability is found.
...not just accordingly to how much NEM I have...
is a red flag. NEM's forging algorithm should be reviewed as soon as possible. Without such a review "Will NXT or NEM be the most successful?" doesn't make much sense because we can only guess if NEM is capable to survive the first months of its existence in the wild. We already have an example of a coin that used a novel Proof-of-X algorithm and now is traded below the initial price because of problems related to flaws of that algorithm.

----------
* - this may be an incorrect word, I wanted to use a word that shows if a system is isolated
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: