Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:42:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you use "bits" yet as your Bitcoin unit of exchange?
Yes, of course.
No, what's that?
Makes sense, i'll use it now!
I'm thinking of using it.
I will never!

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who uses "bits"?  (Read 4167 times)
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 11:24:53 AM

i personally prefer to just say 100 sats than 1 bit. it can be confusing

Same. I have become so used to seeing a bunch of 0's. 0.00005222 and whatnot. I just say 5222 sat, whatever. I only speak in terms of BTC or sat if its less than BTC. Im too dumb to think in terms of uBTC and whatnot.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 11:35:23 AM

Everyone who uses bitcoin to date, are the geeks. That's just the way the world works. The early adopters are the ones who understand. It's the "normal" human beings who can't read 8 decimal places that have difficulty with this.

I think we all started as "normal" and through use, eventually became accustomed to 8 decimal places. Particularly if you have experienced playing with dice. (as in, those game sites that accept and bet fractions of a bitcoin.)

I don't know what the convention will be in the future, when we reach mass adoption. It will be easy for us to adjust, but for me, and many others, as well as the core developers, it started with 8 decimal places, and that's what we will be using for some time.

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 11:55:28 AM

And that is what using "bits" is all about

Nothing in your post explains why "bits" is a better name than microbitcoins, microbits, micros, mikes, micks, you-bee-tee-see, you-bits, mu-bits, mu-bee-tee-see, or mu's.

Because it's easier to say

I'd debate that.  I don't see that "bits" is objectively easier to say than "mikes".  In fact, I've noticed that people of various different cultural backgrounds, with different natural languages, have a bit of a problem with "b" and "v" when it comes to English.

I'm not saying that "bits" is bad because it's hard to say, far from it.  I simply reject your claim that it's easier to say than "mikes" and that's why "mikes" should be rejected from consideration.

I think many are missing the point about 'bits'. Its not so much about the name 'bits' but rather about how the amount is expressed in order to make it more readable but also to make it more familiar in that there is only two decimal places just as with most currencies in use today.

The name "mikes" existed long before "bits" was ever coined, and for precisely the same reasons.  The only new thing the Reddit "it's bits" post gave to the community was a new name for an old idea.  This in itself is not such a bad thing, but the newly proposed name created an ambiguity, one the poster was well aware of (they reference milli-bits and micro-bits in the post).  The whole "bits" movement has only ever been about the name.

If the "bits" crowd really cared about readability, familiarity, and accessibility for new users, the last thing they should have done was intentionally start a name flamewar for the unit.  Fortunately, the same attack against "satoshi" never picked up steam.
fathur01

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 12:04:47 PM

Everyone who uses bitcoin to date, are the geeks. That's just the way the world works. The early adopters are the ones who understand. It's the "normal" human beings who can't read 8 decimal places that have difficulty with this.

I think we all started as "normal" and through use, eventually became accustomed to 8 decimal places. Particularly if you have experienced playing with dice. (as in, those game sites that accept and bet fractions of a bitcoin.)

I don't know what the convention will be in the future, when we reach mass adoption. It will be easy for us to adjust, but for me, and many others, as well as the core developers, it started with 8 decimal places, and that's what we will be using for some time.

Im no geek and I understand most of the way bitcoin works haha.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 02:06:02 PM

We already have Satoshi... so who needs "bits"? It only adds confusion, because everybody has to figure out how many Satoshies (the smallest unit) constitute one bit.

You can use Bitcents for the bigger fractions of a Bitcoin. For the smaller fractions you can use Satoshies - if there are a lot of them just add a "K" for thousands... e.g. 10 K Sat.. Everybody understands that, because the reference point is the smallest unit and it is convenient to write as well.

We don't need to define new units, because two units have already evolved naturally: Bitcoin and Satoshi.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
comerciante

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 03:04:57 PM

I believe the game "Money Pot" uses bits. https://www.moneypot.com/
Berau

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 04:20:04 PM

Use Btc or satoshi, no mBtc and no bits.
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 05:25:12 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2014, 05:35:18 PM by voisine

I would be willing to bet that every single person here who objects to 'bits' on the grounds of ambiguity is someone who knows at least one programming language. Remember *you* are not the audience this term is intended to cater to, it's for "normal" humans who are totally comfortable with resolving ambiguity from context. For them, being easy to remember and associate is far more important than being unambiguous.

Why do you all support "bits", being good only for "normal people" when you could support something like "mikes" which is good for both "normal people" and the technically minded.  Why outright try to alienate a good chunk of the existing Bitcoin community for no gain whatsoever.

"easy to remember and associate" or "unambiguous" is a false dichotomy.  Why choose between them when we can have both for free?

Mikes have no intuitive association with bitcoin, and it's almost as ambiguous since its already a first name. (Ambiguity is obviously not a problem for either)

Also just using satoshis isn't an option. It needs to have two decimals like nearly every other currency on the planet. For those worried a bit isn't worth enough, give it a second! 20months ago a bitcoin was $13
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 06:16:54 PM

Also just using satoshis isn't an option. It needs to have two decimals like nearly every other currency on the planet.

Why? Is there an ISO standard that states that all currencies must be specified as having 2 and only 2 decimal places?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
rgenito (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 08:18:58 PM

Also just using satoshis isn't an option. It needs to have two decimals like nearly every other currency on the planet.

Why? Is there an ISO standard that states that all currencies must be specified as having 2 and only 2 decimal places?

Figured i'd just let ya know what the future holds Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=813167.msg9257385#msg9257385

https://geni.app - Genius – The Crypto Solution to Retirement
nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 08:36:12 PM

Who needs S.I. units   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 09:30:22 PM

You link to another thread I'm also active in. Nobody talked about ISO there. What's your point?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 10:27:23 PM

I'm assuming the goal here is to increase adoption. In that case 2 decimal places is what the majority of the world is comfortable with, not to mention all existing financial software.
magic ice

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:15:48 AM

1 bit = 1 dollar in 2059?  Grin

LOL.. That is what we are all wishing to happen.
lilin321

Activity: 179

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:52:35 AM

MyCelium HD Wallet for Android

You can select BTC, mBTC, uBTC and bits

now, the currency price about  is still low,' bits'  and uBTC don't need.

rgenito (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

Who needs S.I. units   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

HAH!

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:01:40 PM

Who cares, we'll be old as fuck by then Sad

novacn

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:37:46 AM

By then, planet earth already destroyed, and robots are running the galaxy government  Cheesy Cheesy

rgenito (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 09:01:05 PM

i personally prefer to just say 100 sats than 1 bit. it can be confusing

Same. I have become so used to seeing a bunch of 0's. 0.00005222 and whatnot. I just say 5222 sat, whatever. I only speak in terms of BTC or sat if its less than BTC. Im too dumb to think in terms of uBTC and whatnot.

...and then one day you see "BTC: 0.0005321" and mistake it for "5321 Sats" when it is not.

...would've easily seen that correctly if it were as "Bits: 532.1"

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:01:47 AM

Milli-bitcoins and Micro-bitcoins are good enough units for me.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: