Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:23:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Response to the Bit License pending legislation - submitted today  (Read 1499 times)
jakedeez (OP)

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:48:53 AM

Jacob Louis Dienelt
Lazzerbee.com
Co-Founder, Executive Vice President
--- W -- Street, Apartment --
New York, NY, -----

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Mr. Benjamin M. Lawsky
Superintendent of Financial Services
New York Department of Financial Services
One State Street, New York, NY 10004-1511

Mr. Dana V. Syracuse
Office of General Counsel
New York State Department of Financial Services
One State Street, New York, NY 10004
Tel: (212) 709-1663
Email: dana.syracuse@dfs.ny.gov

Re: Regulation of the Conduct of Virtual Currency Businesses – Addition of Part 200 to Title 23 NYCRR

Dear Mr. Lawsky and Mr. Syracuse:

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to the proposed regulations governing virtual currency businesses; and for your time, dedication, and efforts in understanding and helping shape the regulatory landscape for bitcoin and other digital currencies and payment rail technologies.   I applaud your efforts, I would like to 1) highlight an area of concern that may have a negative impact to my small business, and other similar businesses, in this market and 2) ask a question to help me better understand the meanings and implications of the proposed Bit License legislation.

To provide context: my company, Lazzerbee, Corp, makes paper bitcoin wallet products, which include greeting cards, themed for different holidays and life events, as well as business cards that contain private keys allowing people to place small amounts of bitcoin on their business cards.  Lazzerbee has no interaction with bitcoin itself, although we accept bitcoin as payment, via bitpay.

An example of our offering is our “Merry Christmas” paper wallet that customers load with their own bitcoins and provide as a gift, for the holidays.  Other examples of our product can be seen at www.Lazzerbee.com.

I believe our product offerings operate outside of the scope of the proposed legislation since we never interact for our customers in virtual currencies.  I hope this position is correct and would appreciate your view on this topic.  Assuming it is correct, it may be appropriate to make that fact explicit in the regulations.

Finally, and perhaps the most important; I have a question that relates, more broadly, to the future of digital currencies and payment rails.

This question has to do with Section 200.2, page 5, section (m) which states:

(m) Virtual Currency means any type of digital unit that is used as a medium of exchange or a form of digitally stored value or that is incorporated into payment system technology. Virtual Currency shall be broadly construed to include digital units of exchange that (i) have a centralized repository or administrator; (ii) are decentralized and have no centralized repository or administrator; or (iii) may be created or obtained by computing or manufacturing effort. Virtual Currency shall not be construed to include digital units that are used solely within online gaming platforms with no market or application outside of those gaming platforms, nor shall Virtual Currency be construed to include digital units that are used exclusively as part of a customer affinity or rewards program, and can be applied solely as payment for purchases with the issuer and/or other designated merchants, but cannot be converted into, or redeemed for, Fiat Currency;

The majority of digital assets trading today are bitcoins, and altcoins.  At the same time, there is growing momentum for other platforms, such as Ripple, and Counterparty that can support other asset classes such as real estate assets, crypto-equity units, crypto-bonds, and, in fact, normal bonds and common stocks. (Think treasuries and shares of Apple.)  

My question is whether, if Bit License is passed in its current form, New York State will view any asset traded on these rails as “virtual currencies”?  If so, is the position of the DFS that defining these assets as such would supersede current SEC, CFTC, FINRA, and SIPC rules and regulations?  If this were the case, would the DFS be prepared to contest a contrary ruling from a different regulatory body?  Would DFS consider equity and bond offerings issued not through traditional methods, but via these new “crypto networks” under the perview solely of the DFS?

Our company is small, but I believe we are vibrant business innovators. I would very much like to hear your response to these questions.  Again, let me express my gratitude for you and your office for taking this first, bold, and needed step in this area of innovation.

Sincerely,

Jacob L Dienelt
Lazzerbee, Corp
Executive Vice President

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:00:09 AM

..... Lawsky
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to the proposed regulations governing virtual currency businesses; and for your time, dedication, and efforts in understanding and helping shape the regulatory landscape for bitcoin and other digital currencies and payment rail technologies.   I applaud your efforts......

.....Again, let me express my gratitude for you and your office for taking this first, bold, and needed step in this area of innovation.

It's sad to see people living in NY feeling they need to engage in this kind of pandering and groveling.

Most of us do not need to and would never do so.
jakedeez (OP)

ICO is evil

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:20:02 AM

..... Lawsky
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to the proposed regulations governing virtual currency businesses; and for your time, dedication, and efforts in understanding and helping shape the regulatory landscape for bitcoin and other digital currencies and payment rail technologies.   I applaud your efforts......

.....Again, let me express my gratitude for you and your office for taking this first, bold, and needed step in this area of innovation.

It's sad to see people living in NY feeling they need to engage in this kind of pandering and groveling.

Most of us do not need to and would never do so.

That is how you write a letter in a professional setting friend.  There is no reason not to be polite when dealing with people.

Perhaps you have a comment on the content and questions...  I think the definition of virtual currency in the proposed legislation is a pretty important issue.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:29:49 AM

Did you write that letter because you want to positively affect the outcome of the BitLicense for everyone?

Or did you write that letter to make sure that your company doesn't get in trouble?

My response to the BitLicense:

---------------

Dear Mr. Lolsky:

Please watch the Canadian Senate Hearings on Bitcoin.

See you in 5 years.

Love,

Person.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
jakedeez (OP)

ICO is evil

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:51:54 PM

Did you write that letter because you want to positively affect the outcome of the BitLicense for everyone?

Or did you write that letter to make sure that your company doesn't get in trouble?

For everyone.  I know my company isn't under the perview of the bit licence, however, the definition of virtual currency is an important issue for the space.  It really doesn't affect my company.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:07:38 PM

That is how you write a letter in a professional fascist setting friend.
FTFY. Sorry you have to beg your masters not to use violence against you for exercising your right privilege to engage in free trade.

I, however, prefer to disobey and stream their violence live to the world, shaming them.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jakedeez (OP)

ICO is evil

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:17:33 PM

My lord, there are a lot of angry people on this board who don't really have an idea how to behave or speak.  I'm locking the thread.  I was just trying to share something constructive, not start a pissing match about how evil Lawsky is or what a slave to the man I am.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: