Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:21:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 2.0 Beta for Mac  (Read 7845 times)
Damien74 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:09:43 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 05:59:21 AM by Damien74

Firstly, thanks to Thomas (and all others involved) for maintaining such a great Bitcoin client!

Just thought I'd put this down here since I'm not a coder and have no knowledge (or very little) of any scripting.
Currently I'm running 10.10 Yosemite and it worked well under 10.9 Mavericks as well.
I needed to do this to get my Trezor up and running (which it is and it is well!)
I figured other Mac users with Trezors who aren't coding wizards could use the help.
I used Homebrew or "Brew" as the cool kids call it because I just couldn't get MacPorts to work.
It might have been a 10.10 dependency thing though. We'll never know!

Install Homebrew
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Install Software Prerequesites (Xcode, CLI tools, etc)
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/wiki/installation

Agree to Xcode Agreement
sudo xcodebuild -license

Install Brew Add-on things for compiling
brew install gettext
brew link gettext --force
brew install pyqt

Copy latest version of Electrum from GitHub (copies into folder in home folder)
git clone git://github.com/spesmilo/electrum.git

Now in terminal run through these one by one, you shouldn't hit any snags, you'll know at the end if you do!
python mki18n.py
pyrcc4 icons.qrc -o gui/qt/icons_rc.py
python setup.py sdist --format=zip,gztar
ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64" sudo python setup-release.py py2app --includes sip
sudo hdiutil create -fs HFS+ -volname "Electrum" -srcfolder dist/Electrum.app dist/electrum-2.0B-macosx.dmg

Final product pops into your home folder under ~/electrum/dist and has a nice dmg and the app itself ready to be dragged over to the applications folder.

Looking forward to the 2.0 final, take your time though, make it shine you are doing a great job! Smiley

Edit: Funnily enough Electrum doesn't seem to care about the Trezor and doesn't mention it if it is not connected. Previously it would say something along the lines of watching mode only if it wasn't attached, but now... nothing. Oh well, I'll just keep using my older version with Trezor support! Smiley
arorts

Activity: 408
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:12:17 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 07:29:56 PM by arorts

Well, I hope Electrum takes Trezor seriously. It's a great combo and it'd be strategic mistake to ignore them...

BTW...This doesn't works. I get this error when executing this line --> ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64" sudo python setup-release.py py2app --includes sip:

"....    import socks
ImportError: No module named socks..."
koalalorenzo

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 05:19:29 PM

Well, I hope Electrum takes Trezor seriously. It's a great combo and it'd be strategic mistake to ignore them...

BTW...This doesn't works. I get this error when executing this line --> ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64" sudo python setup-release.py py2app --includes sip:

"....    import socks

I fixed this by downloading http://socksipy.sourceforge.net and moving the file socks.py into the Electrum directory. It should be fine.
arorts

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 12:15:38 PM

"....    import socks

I fixed this by downloading http://socksipy.sourceforge.net and moving the file socks.py into the Electrum directory. It should be fine.

Hi,

Thanks. This helped to finally create the app and dmg files. However, when I run it , it simply says "Electrum Error"  with the option to Terminate or Open the Console/Logs...Arrggg...It's so difficult to make an app work in Mac. There's always something package/library crap missing or something ...  :-/

I guess I'll just wait for the Mac binary...
koalalorenzo

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:45:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks. This helped to finally create the app and dmg files. However, when I run it , it simply says "Electrum Error"  with the option to Terminate or Open the Console/Logs...Arrggg...It's so difficult to make an app work in Mac. There's always something package/library crap missing or something ...  :-/

I guess I'll just wait for the Mac binary...

I think you should remove/move the old ~/.electrum and re-create it by using your seed. That worked for me.
arorts

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 07:13:10 AM

Thanks. I had done that, re-cloned the git and got same exact error. Error is not even during seed creation but just by simply   executing the app.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 09:17:59 AM

thanks for the help on how to build binaries.
Note: if you test the current version, please be aware that the current wallet format might not be compatible with the final 2.0 release.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 03:42:12 AM

Thanks. I had done that, re-cloned the git and got same exact error. Error is not even during seed creation but just by simply   executing the app.

The wallet file has definately changed over the beta period, I've had to regenerate my wallet files once before. Electrum will automatically load the default_wallet on startup.
BlackMarketKarma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Cyclical economic ebb and flow.

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:02:05 AM

I am having all kinds of problems trying to compile the binary for OSX Yosemite..I am a novice at best when it comes to command line anything. Is there any chance someone with a little more knowledge could upload the .dmg or something? I'd really like to check out 2.0..if not, no biggie, I'll wait until widespread release.
Mashuri

Activity: 135
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:31:56 AM

This works great and even recognizes my Trezor -- EXCEPT I can't connect no matter what.  It says "Not connected" regardless of what server and protocol I select.  Auto connect does not work either.  Any ideas?  FYI, this is on a 2012 MBPr with OS 10.10.

AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:19:59 AM

I am having all kinds of problems trying to compile the binary for OSX Yosemite..I am a novice at best when it comes to command line anything. Is there any chance someone with a little more knowledge could upload the .dmg or something? I'd really like to check out 2.0..if not, no biggie, I'll wait until widespread release.

I would say in bitcoin, don't trust a random forum poster's binary build.  BTW you can still run it without compiling it to an .app, if you have the Trezor libraries installed, you can run
Code:
./electrum
from the command line.

This works great and even recognizes my Trezor -- EXCEPT I can't connect no matter what.  It says "Not connected" regardless of what server and protocol I select.  Auto connect does not work either.  Any ideas?  FYI, this is on a 2012 MBPr with OS 10.10.

Try clicking on the red circle (botton right status bar), choose a different server, click auto connect and ok (repeat until you get a green light)
Mashuri

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 11:09:48 PM

Try clicking on the red circle (botton right status bar), choose a different server, click auto connect and ok (repeat until you get a green light)

Tried every server.  No dice. Sad

Mashuri

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:20:44 AM

Weird.  I was having this problem on the .app package for 2 days straight.  I finally ran "./electrum" and it connected right away.  Afterward, the .app started working as well.  I'm guessing something got written to my .electrum directory that wasn't available from the .app.  Go figure...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: