Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin wallet  (Read 850 times)
m00c0w (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 09:13:07 AM

Hi there

Yesterday I installed Bitcoin wallet and moved some coins in to it.  I then encrypted the wallet with a standard password.

Now when I try to move coins it says that the passkey is incorrect.  I know it isn't because a, I have it in a notepad and b, it's a standard password I use.

Am I now screwed and have I lost my coins?  I still have my address, I just can't move the damn coins.  Sad

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 10:38:28 AM

The password is to secure your wallet, so yeah, you're screwed if you don't have the correct one anymore.
Maybe you can restore a backup of your wallet? I don't know how that works, never had to do it.

If the password was somehow removeable, it wouldn't add any security.
jurgmurger

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 01:36:27 PM

Check obvious things like Caps Lock. If you copy from Notepad: Paste in a clear window to make sure the clipboard has the right content.

Sometimes it's just a silly little thing, but yeah, if you don't get around it that's pretty much it and you lost the coins.
m00c0w (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 07:05:00 PM

Nope, nothing works.  I know I am typing the correct password in - there can be no other, although I have tried 1001 variations just in case.

Oh well, 44 coins lost - all in a mornings work.  Sad
kaurdump

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:00:13 PM

Nope, nothing works.  I know I am typing the correct password in - there can be no other, although I have tried 1001 variations just in case.

Oh well, 44 coins lost - all in a mornings work.  Sad

try all of your PWs you've ever had.
m00c0w (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 10:58:52 PM

It's not happening.  Until there is a way of breaking the .dat file or recovering passwords it's lost.

Still, it has kind of put me off passwording the other wallet I have. 
Minutia

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 12:46:20 AM

Then you just lost $200 in your harddrive
Farce09

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 02:37:44 AM

Then you just lost $200 in your harddrive

Doh >_<
m00c0w (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:10:21 PM

After reading this thred
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0
there looks to be a way of cracking the password or finding out what I have set it to.  Thing is, I don't have linux.

I know what I think the password should be.  I've tried every variation.  Hell, I am still strying - even though there's only 44 coins in there it's still my money.

Just wondering if anyone can assist me.  Thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:35:29 PM

After reading this thred
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0
there looks to be a way of cracking the password or finding out what I have set it to.  Thing is, I don't have linux.

I know what I think the password should be.  I've tried every variation.  Hell, I am still strying - even though there's only 44 coins in there it's still my money.

Just wondering if anyone can assist me.  Thanks
Sorry, I can't help you with any brute force scripts, but hopefully someone that can help will be along shortly.

I just wanted to mention that if you entered the password by copying and pasting from notepad when you first encrypted the wallet, and you haven't modified the entry in notepad since, then the most common cause of a "mis-typed" password in that particular situation is that you didn't realize that you didn't have the entire password selected when you did your copy.  Possibly you were missing the first few (or last few, or both) characters of the password in your selection.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd try leaving off the first character, then try again leaving off the first 2 characters, and so on until you've left off most of the password.  If none of those work, start over leaving off the last character, etc.

Unfortunately, the next most common cause would be that you had something else in your clipboard at the time and didn't realize it. (i.e. you had recently copied something then selected your password in notepad and forgot to hit "copy", so what you pasted into the password isn't what you thought.)  Guessing that password would involve trying to remember what else you might have been copy/pasting around that time.  Unless what was in your clipboard was pretty small or you could come up with a pretty close guess, brute forcing that password would be unlikely.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:39:20 PM

Hey,

Did you contact riX?
Or, I can also help with bruteforcing with Linux.

Do you offer any reward for it?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:41:19 PM

^ This.

try entering your password with first few digits missing and alternatively adding a space or carriage return at the end.  Not sure if the satoshi client accepts whitespace but if it does that will result in a different key.

i.e.  password is password.  You may have copied:
assword
passwor
ssword
passwo
asswor
password[SPACE]
password[CR/LF]
password[SPACE][CR/LF]
the last thing in your clipboard <- in which case you are probably out of luck

Although this doesn't help this time in the future I would strongly recommend the following sequence:
a) encrypt an EMPTY wallet
b) don't copy & paste passwords at least not on setup (the repeat password field is there for a reason)
c) after encrypting close the client & re-open
d) verify you can unlock wallet using passphrase
e) THEN SEND coins.

Also if the passphrase could be extracted from the dat file well there would be no security in that.  What would be the point of having a passphrase to begin with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: