Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we drop the decentralization lie yet?  (Read 3325 times)
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 07:06:07 AM

PoW is doomed in the long run, but many bitcoiners are in denial.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:08:06 AM

What harm can people really do, when they have 51+% of the hashing power?
They can redirect the hashing power to build an alternative blockchain, which will overtake the "real" blockchain and lose a lot of BTC reward in the progress
How long can someone keep this power?
We are talking about a pool. they do not really have the hashing power. If they harm the network, people can easily decide to go to another pool.
Can they even decide, that all the people in their pool use their hashing power for harmful use?

I am not really familiar with how this whole technology works exactly. Maybe some more techie person can give me some answers.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Ardenyham
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Don't Hesitate to Tip me for My Helps and Guides.

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:27:54 AM

PoW means fairest distribution. If the block rewards will become problem in future, Bitcoin can be modified if there is consenzus. I just dont like the idea of central authority to issue coins (first coins or later as well) so others can buy these, which is basically PoS.
devphp

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:40:58 AM

PoW means fairest distribution.

Mining is becoming profitable only for few largest mining farms, don't you see a contradiction with your 'fairest distribution' argument here?
fdiini

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:45:42 AM

“It’s accelerated out of the garage and the homes, to the small businesses, to the large data centers, and now you’ve got to have a mega data center for it to be profitable.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-21/bitcoin-miner-ditches-clients-to-chase-2-billion-coding-prize.html

KNC bitcoin central issuing authority.. great job guys creating the same shit sytem we already have. 

People who invest will become a bagholder. Pretty much same as anyone foolish enough to buy their miners.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:49:23 AM

PoW means fairest distribution.

Mining is becoming profitable only for few largest mining farms, don't you see a contradiction with your 'fairest distribution' argument here?

Right on spot.

But this is only true if fabrication technology remain expensive. May be one day everyone can own a small lab and use 3d printer to print their own low cost asic.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 11:28:31 AM

“It’s accelerated out of the garage and the homes, to the small businesses, to the large data centers, and now you’ve got to have a mega data center for it to be profitable.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-21/bitcoin-miner-ditches-clients-to-chase-2-billion-coding-prize.html

KNC bitcoin central issuing authority.. great job guys creating the same shit sytem we already have. 

FIAT: let's add something like 100000000000 USD... OK, type that number there.
BTC: hmmmm... not that easy.

Don't talk shit here. Bitcoin is far far better than fiat in that sense.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
tatu

Activity: 138

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:31:59 AM

PoW means fairest distribution. If the block rewards will become problem in future, Bitcoin can be modified if there is consenzus. I just dont like the idea of central authority to issue coins (first coins or later as well) so others can buy these, which is basically PoS.

I think it will have to be changed in the future. I just wish the mining would be fairer for all and anyone could still mine bitcoins. I think in the future it could become unsustainable if it becomes more and more expensive to mine etc.
ytr8

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:35:28 AM

Speak in superlatives, deceive people who don't know that ,I hope that we won't see these in future.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 11:39:52 AM

With all the ongoing discussion, there is only one thing clear for me. As long as mining is controlled only by the big miners, there is no such thing as what you refer to as decentralization.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:32:14 PM

Cheap chinese miners will take much more market share, currently the discuss fish pool is already the No. 1 in hash power

Miners with free electricity will ultimately win against large mining farms, large mining farms can only stand a while with newer chip design, but their cost is significantly higher when difficulty eventually rise and electricity becomes more than half of the cost of each coin

But the biggest worry is that large banks will eventually build huge mining farms through funding, they could loan out 1 billion (out of nothing) to build and run a cluster of large mining farms thus control more than 70% of the network hash power easily and destroy the credibility of bitcoin transaction. I think knc is on this route to become their puppet, since they think in terms of fiat money

chenka563

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

What happens to the btc community if their infrastructure fails in a few years? What effect would that have?

it can't fail .we should trust the BTC, and  the btc community!

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
☆★☆ High ROI Bonds |  Long, Medium and Short Term Options | Bitcoin Bond Network ☆★☆
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
SBradford

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:26:24 PM

So decentralization was just a lie to attract the world towards bitcoin for traders's gain?
devphp

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:31:41 PM

So decentralization was just a lie to attract the world towards bitcoin for traders's gain?

It wasn't a lie in the beginning when everybody could mine bitcoins with their low end hardware, but it's turning more and more into a lie now.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:35:59 PM

Welcome to bitcoin. Bitcoin is an open source project where these issues have been discussed openly and honestly for years. Centralization of mining isn't unexpected:

The current system where every user is a network node is not the intended configuration for large scale.  That would be like every Usenet user runs their own NNTP server.  The design supports letting users just be users.  The more burden it is to run a node, the fewer nodes there will be.  Those few nodes will be big server farms.  The rest will be client nodes that only do transactions and don't generate.

Many people are confused to the risks of this consolidation and exaggerate the concerns. Please do a little more research into the incentives structure which discourages attacking the network even if there are only 100 mining farms and what a 51% attack actually does and how quickly it would be identified and prevented if it ever did happen.  

opossum

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:14:48 AM

Cheap chinese miners will take much more market share, currently the discuss fish pool is already the No. 1 in hash power

Miners with free electricity will ultimately win against large mining farms, large mining farms can only stand a while with newer chip design, but their cost is significantly higher when difficulty eventually rise and electricity becomes more than half of the cost of each coin

But the biggest worry is that large banks will eventually build huge mining farms through funding, they could loan out 1 billion (out of nothing) to build and run a cluster of large mining farms thus control more than 70% of the network hash power easily and destroy the credibility of bitcoin transaction. I think knc is on this route to become their puppet, since they think in terms of fiat money

I don't think this would be a serious threat. First of all an attacker (the "big bad banks" in your case) would need to spend actual money in order to launch such an attack, money they would end up loosing in an attack, when they could earn more money by acting honestly.

If a bank were to lend out money they would need to put some amount of money aside to account for the possibility that the loan will not be repaid, and it would certainly not be repaid as any attacker would not make any money from such an attack

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

BBmmBB

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:24:10 AM

What happens to the btc community if their infrastructure fails in a few years? What effect would that have?

"the btc community"  <------ bwaahahahaha  Cheesy
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 03:27:44 AM

Keep trying to push down the price guys so it's easier for me to get more, I appreciate it.
jennifer21

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:50:58 PM

Keep trying to push down the price guys so it's easier for me to get more, I appreciate it.

lol same here. Smiley loving the low bitcoin price right now.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

lol same here. Smiley loving the low bitcoin price right now.

Well you will find out that there always happens that you can buy cheaper
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: