Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:30:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Coins Are Coming Up For Halving?  (Read 1427 times)
Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 06:49:32 PM

I'm told it is a good investment strategy to find coins with imminent block reward halving points.  Because after that point the coin becomes a bit harder to mine, and more scarce.

I know of one coin about to half in a few days -- EMC2, do you know of any others?

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:40:41 PM

I'm told it is a good investment strategy to find coins with imminent block reward halving points.  Because after that point the coin becomes a bit harder to mine, and more scarce.

I know of one coin about to half in a few days -- EMC2, do you know of any others?

Then do your own research. Why do you want someone to work for your profit?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:45:05 PM

Good coins never halve, but they just get mined tiny bit less everyday.
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:48:21 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=788916.0

Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:06:15 PM

This is called sharing, I made my contribution by telling everyone about a coin I know that will be halving in 2 days.

I would hope other people would do the same, this way everyone who participates gets to enjoy in the shared effort.

What's with the poo-poo, someone took your doll? 

bee7

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:18:59 PM

This is called sharing, I made my contribution by telling everyone about a coin I know that will be halving in 2 days.

I would hope other people would do the same, this way everyone who participates gets to enjoy in the shared effort.

Look at this from the other hand. You shared your knowledge about EMC2 and the hint that halving makes coin go up in price. That means that some people would buy into EMC2 and this definitely would make some other people sell EMC2 at the current ask price.

There is no actual reason to go prices up when reward is halved. The halving does not create any additional value. It only slows down the inflation.

Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:50:42 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 11:14:48 PM by Armis

I'm told it is a good investment strategy to find coins with imminent block reward halving points.  Because after that point the coin becomes a bit harder to mine, and more scarce.

Look at this from the other hand. You shared your knowledge about EMC2 and the hint that halving makes coin go up in price. That means that some people would buy into EMC2 and this definitely would make some other people sell EMC2 at the current ask price.

There is no actual reason to go prices up when reward is halved. The halving does not create any additional value. It only slows down the inflation.

Yes, I agree that there are multiple ways of viewing this.  

As I was told, the halving results in more difficulty in getting 'new' coin, so the usual or expected demand is now directed to a smaller resource pool.  

From what it sounds, most people don't consider this to be an investment tactic, or for those who do they keep it quiet.  

Nevertheless, its not major news, most folk in the crypto world won't be viewing this thread so it's still no big deal.

If a hand full of people decide to make it a thing then it actually will benefit that hand full of people.  Of the 1000+ coin  ~500 of them are ~6 mos old so this is probably halving season for many other coins.

This will be my first time experiencing the halving thing but it makes sense on paper so I will see.   If there are other coins in the same position I want to further consider the opportunity there too.

you know I read something about that somewhere else, but I think it was more about setting up a coin for development, one of those developer questions:
"do I create a half system or do I just reduce it bit by bit? type of thing"
bee7

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:25:27 PM

I'm told it is a good investment strategy to find coins with imminent block reward halving points.  Because after that point the coin becomes a bit harder to mine, and more scarce.

Yes, I agree that there are multiple ways of viewing this.  

As I was told, the halving results in more difficulty in getting 'new' coin, so the usual or expected demand is now directed to a smaller resource pool.  

From what it sounds, most people don't consider this to be an investment tactic, or for those who do they keep it quiet.  

Nevertheless, its not major news, most folk in the crypto world won't be viewing this thread so it's still no big deal.

If a hand full of people decide to make it a thing then it actually will benefit that hand full of people.  Of the 1000+ coin  ~500 of them are ~6 mos old so this is probably halving season for many other coins.

This will be my first time experiencing the halving thing but it makes sense on paper so I will see.   If there are other coins in the same position I want to further consider the opportunity there too.

you know I read something about that somewhere else, but I think it was more about setting up a coin for development, one of those developer questions:
"do I create a half system or do I just reduce it bit by bit? type of thing"

While it could work in the past, it won't anymore. There were the argument that miners would not sell a coin without profit, e.t.c. Nowadays miners just switch to another coin that is more profitable to mine with their HW. That's it.
Anyway, good luck you with this strategy.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 12:41:12 AM

FRK in about 21 more years. Aka just around the corner! Only 2 decades away!

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 08:37:19 PM

Well the day before the halving took place for EMC2 the rate was 50 sat, here it is a day later and the rate went as high as 63 sat.  The average increase by volume is about 55 sat so that's a 10% gain.   

The actual sales seem more like they are buyer motivated than seller inspired because most of the sales are taking place out of the 'Buy Order' side of the orderbook.  Nevertheless,  I think someone knows the coin is undervalued and took smart advantage of the halving.   If that is the case eventually sellers will get wise and stop selling so much so low.

Lucky - Luciano

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:20:17 PM

Have are you ever heard of the help and humanitarianism  Grin Grin Grin?
bee7

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:30:13 PM

Have are you ever heard of the help and humanitarianism  Grin Grin Grin?

Yes, I did.
bee7

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 03:17:57 PM

Have are you ever heard of the help and humanitarianism  Grin Grin Grin?

It is two different things:

a) I know of one coin about to half in a few days -- EMC2, do you know of any others?
b) I am not an expert in C++, I am not a software engineer at all. Could anyone explain me please, how I could determine the halving time for a coin, provided I found its source code on github?

Do you see the point?

Skeksis

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

A crapcoin that no one cares about is not going to rise in value just because of the halving. I'd buy bitcoin and wait for that in 2016 I think.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:15:06 PM

Have are you ever heard of the help and humanitarianism  Grin Grin Grin?

It is two different things:

a) I know of one coin about to half in a few days -- EMC2, do you know of any others?
b) I am not an expert in C++, I am not a software engineer at all. Could anyone explain me please, how I could determine the halving time for a coin, provided I found its source code on github?

Do you see the point?

With EMC2 it was said on the OP.   

People who are into mining [I'm not] keep track of things like this, particularly for coins they like and are involved with.

The fact is that it worked, not I want to find some others that are about to split.

Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:24:04 PM

A crapcoin that no one cares about is not going to rise in value just because of the halving. I'd buy bitcoin and wait for that in 2016 I think.

Every coin is a crap coin to very many people.  This isn't a popularity contest, this is an endeavor to make some smart money. 

Crap coin or not, I want to know which coins are splitting so that I could get the opportunity to buy that coin and make a profit.

There are many people who purchased btc and have not see a day of profit since they purchased it, some purchased at $1100, some at $1000, some at $800, some at $700, some at $600 and even very many at $500, month after month loss -- how is that not called 'crap'?

If a coin goes from 1 sat to 2 sat you have a 100% profit, does it matter what the coin is?  of course not, the objective is to get the profit, the ONLY reason why people fall in love with coins is because they make some money with it.

BreadJoint

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:39:56 PM

I am not sure reward halving decides the coin to grow in price
I remember when doge halved it didn't get its a price rise
Sure it makes sense, miners have less coins to sell. But in reality it doesn't work that way. Pumps and dumps, dev activity (or absence of activity) brings much more influence to the coin
Armis (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:09:24 PM

I am not sure reward halving decides the coin to grow in price
I remember when doge halved it didn't get its a price rise
Sure it makes sense, miners have less coins to sell. But in reality it doesn't work that way. Pumps and dumps, dev activity (or absence of activity) brings much more influence to the coin

I think we all agree that 'halving doesn't decide price' however it does decide scarcity, and we all also know that supply vs demand determines price.  So given the same demand if there are less supply the price must go up.   The fact is demand never stays the same.

Notwithstanding, every strategy or tactic requires belief in order to "work", if you don't believe you won't try and if you don't try it won't work.   Of course, that's not to say that just because you believe that it will work just that without belief it won't work.

So I'm saying, I believe in the strategy and am willing to examine further any coin coming up for halving.

bee7

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:54:23 AM

every strategy or tactic requires belief in order to "work", if you don't believe you won't try and if you don't try it won't work.   Of course, that's not to say that just because you believe that it will work just that without belief it won't work.

This
cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:56:49 AM

digitalcoin is due for a reward reduction with an update to multi-algo hashing. the price already jumped up some though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: