Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:12:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uninstalling Armory, Bitcoin Core, a suggestion  (Read 5466 times)
TonyT (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:09:32 AM

I uninstalled Armory and Bitcoin Core, sorry, they were acting too resource intensive, akin to a virus. 

One suggestion:  when uninstalling all goes well with these two programs but no indication is given, in Windows 8, that the two huge files of close to 60 GB is NOT deleted.

These files reside in the folders here:

c:\users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\ <-- and Armory or Bitcoin at the end

The uninstall program should warn users that these directories exist, and further, that the Wallat.dat file should not be deleted before draining it of money. 

TonyT
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:37:29 PM

wallet.dat is Bitcoin Core's wallet data. If you installed Bitcoin Core only as an intermediary for Armory, there won't be any coins in wallet.dat

Armory's wallets use the .wallet extension and reside in Armory's datadir folder, which is different from Core's datadir. If you have backed up your wallets as the Armory tutorial's strongly suggest, you can delete these files safely.

Lastly, it is common practice for a software uninstaller to only remove the files that were added by the installer and revert the settings the installer set. This is why installation files and operation data are kept in separate paths. While Microsoft has lagged behind with this concept compared to Linux, it moved to this paradigm since Windows 5.x (2k/XP). So it is expected users are familiar with the concept, even on Windows.

picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:10:34 PM

Lastly, it is common practice for a software uninstaller to only remove the files that were added by the installer and revert the settings the installer set. This is why installation files and operation data are kept in separate paths. While Microsoft has lagged behind with this concept compared to Linux, it moved to this paradigm since Windows 5.x (2k/XP). So it is expected users are familiar with the concept, even on Windows.
While that may be common practice, it is unusual that there is so much data that not removing it is an issue.  I agree it would be nice if the uninstaller mentioned that these files stay behind.
TonyT (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:38:30 AM

While that may be common practice, it is unusual that there is so much data that not removing it is an issue.  I agree it would be nice if the uninstaller mentioned that these files stay behind.

I agree and not only that, the Bitcoin Core program did not uninstall its data files either.  But note there were two folders, each with about 28 to 27 GB of data:

c:\users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Armory (28 GB data)
c:\users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin (27 GB data)

Both of these were not uninstalled and I had to manually delete them.  If it was a less experienced user they would have left them there forever.

TonyT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: