Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:15:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitpay 'patent' on the 'deposit card' concept?  (Read 1389 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 10:53:31 PM

See at about 06:30  here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BfjsCAZyQ

Shouldn't be surprising I guess... but patenting such trivial ideas is quite irksome to me, and not a really good development for the bitcoin economy.

Also - it strikes me that there is some precedent in that you can use a 'bitbill' as a deposit card.
Perhaps the patent is specific to the situation where the deposit is converted to fiat currency and sent to the owner's bank account - but still - gluing things together like that to perform a service shouldn't be patentable IMO.

I'm curious to know the extent of this patent.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JJJJust

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:18:46 PM

A search of the US Patent Application database was unable to return any relevant results.

I did, however, find this and several other applications similar to it which may constitute prior art:

United States Patent Application    20120123923
Nicolaidis; Chris ;   et al.    May 17, 2012
STORED VALUE EXCHANGE METHOD AND APPARATUS

"An apparatus and method for exchanging one form of stored value for another form of value. In one embodiment, a method for exchanging stored value for an alternative form of value comprises receiving stored value account information relating to the stored value from a remote user device, and determining a market value of the stored value. The method further comprises generating an offer to exchange the stored value for an alternative form of value and sending the offer to the remote user device. An indication of acceptance of the offer from the remote user device is then received and the alternative form of value is exchanged for the stored value. Finally, the stored value is exchanged for another form of value equal to the market value."
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 11:22:23 PM

A search of the US Patent Application database was unable to return any relevant results.

I did, however, find this and several other applications similar to it which may constitute prior art:

United States Patent Application    20120123923
Nicolaidis; Chris ;   et al.    May 17, 2012
STORED VALUE EXCHANGE METHOD AND APPARATUS

"An apparatus and method for exchanging one form of stored value for another form of value. In one embodiment, a method for exchanging stored value for an alternative form of value comprises receiving stored value account information relating to the stored value from a remote user device, and determining a market value of the stored value. The method further comprises generating an offer to exchange the stored value for an alternative form of value and sending the offer to the remote user device. An indication of acceptance of the offer from the remote user device is then received and the alternative form of value is exchanged for the stored value. Finally, the stored value is exchanged for another form of value equal to the market value."

A patent on trading things at their market value, nice, nice.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 03:27:57 AM

So besides this video being TOTALLY AWESOME for bitpay and more importantly bitcoin in general, you've decided to pick on the patent?

There were 4 VC groups and over 200 attendees at this conference. All with investment $$$ and hearing about the potential opportunities bitcoin brings to the payments space.

I would rather like to thanks Tony for taking the time to submit his business and win a spot to present at this conference. Your bitcoins may be just a little bit more valuable tomorrow.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:31:04 AM

So besides this video being TOTALLY AWESOME for bitpay and more importantly bitcoin in general, you've decided to pick on the patent?

There were 4 VC groups and over 200 attendees at this conference. All with investment $$$ and hearing about the potential opportunities bitcoin brings to the payments space.

I would rather like to thanks Tony for taking the time to submit his business and win a spot to present at this conference. Your bitcoins may be just a little bit more valuable tomorrow.

Tony and Stephen are awesome.

You mess with them, you mess with me.

...and I'm from Brooklyn  Cool

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:49:49 AM

Yeah, I did neglect to heap praise on the awesomeness that is a Bitcoin startup approaching VC groups...
probably because the ****ing cancer of anticompetitive patents really puts a bitter taste on it.

But you know.. realistically  - there's bugger all I can do about it...  a solid patent arsenal will make a business more attractive to those handy bitcoin-price-pumping VC types.... and it's all about the price after all, not freedoms and principles and all that guff.. right!? 

(In fairness - there's probably not much choice for a serious bitcoin startup. Patents probably need to be held at least for defensive purposes)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:20:28 AM

Is there a list of merchants accepting bit-pay available somewhere? I'd like to support bit-pay but I have no idea who takes it.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:59:32 AM

"we make on average, 2 to 2 1/2 % of [payment volume]".

Not bad for a 0.3% exchange fee + 15 minutes of exchange rate risk exposure (plus a daily ACH transaction).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:09:07 AM

(In fairness - there's probably not much choice for a serious bitcoin startup. Patents probably need to be held at least for defensive purposes)

So if we stop the religious war on patents for a minute and examine your statement above, it is absolutely correct. It is easily one of the top 3 questions first asked by investors these days. If bitpay wants to survive in todays business climate, patents are a necessary evil.

Don't hate the player, hate the game....
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 08:35:45 AM

So if we stop the religious war on patents for a minute and examine your statement above, it is absolutely correct. It is easily one of the top 3 questions first asked by investors these days. If bitpay wants to survive in todays business climate, patents are a necessary evil.

Don't hate the player, hate the game....

+1

BTW, for the exact same reasons, Paymium (operator of Paytunia and Instawallet) has filed two patents already..
The patents are not related to bitcoin technology itself of course.
Bitcoin businesses must attract VC money to reach critical mass and broader adoption.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: